Texas vs Jika Rig?

It all started with the plastic worm and has now mutated into a huge array of specialized offerings. Whose is the best and which one is your favorite? Come share your thoughts and opinions here.
MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Texas vs Jika Rig?

Post by MK49 » Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:54 pm

I'm not much of a soft bait guy, but Jackall Cover Craw with a weighted T rig has worked very well for the last 15 years. It's one of my main soft baits, the other is a weightless Fat Ika, which I don't normally use in winter. Those are pretty much all I use/need for soft baits.

I fished this afternoon. Didn't get a bite on crankbaits, blade baits, jerkbaits and topwater (yeah, I throw topwater even in mid Dec.). Just because I had a snap at the end of my line for those hard baits, I just tried jika rig by putting a weight and a hook on the snap. Put a Cover Craw on it. I got bites on every cast for about 15min. This was the first time I used jika rig Cover Craw, and I was amazed how effective it was. Between 3 and 4:15PM, I caught a dozen of bass, and missed many more. Nothing big, all 1.5 ~ 4lbs, but I was pretty happy.

Now, I wonder if a jika rig was better under today's condition, or a T rig could have worked the same or better. I fished the jika rig the same way I do T rig. I'm going back tomorrow, and will try both jika and T rig with the same weight size and Cover Craw to see if they make much difference. I have a feeling the fishing won't be as good, though. :lol:

Anyway, what's your thoughts on Texas vs Jika? I can see the jika rig lift the bait an inch or two off the bottom, and the hook/bait move a bit more freely, but I don't know if that makes much difference.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Texas vs Jika Rig?

Post by Johnny A » Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:25 am

I think the benefit of the Jika Rig is multiple pivot points vs the single pivot point of the Texas Rig.

sbd3
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by sbd3 » Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:23 am

Were you getting hit on the drop or was the fish picking it up off the bottom? Fall rate may be a factor here, Jika rig with same weight will fall faster than t rig

MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MK49 » Sun Dec 17, 2023 3:40 pm

sbd3 wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:23 am
Were you getting hit on the drop or was the fish picking it up off the bottom? Fall rate may be a factor here, Jika rig with same weight will fall faster than t rig
Didn't get a bite on the fall. All the bites were off the bottom.

I guess they were feeding a lot yesterday. I caught a fish that had my jika rig and Cover Craw in the mouth along with a little shad and another jika+Cover Craw with a few inches of a broken line. That's one of the fish I missed earlier, and the fish wanted the 2nd Cover Craw and a little shad.

Unfortunately, it rained today, so I didn't go back.