Flick Shake Advice

It all started with the plastic worm and has now mutated into a huge array of specialized offerings. Whose is the best and which one is your favorite? Come share your thoughts and opinions here.
Firstoutfisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Flick Shake Advice

Post by Firstoutfisher » Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:33 pm

I want to try incorporating flick shake into my arsenal this year. However doesn't seem like it is a very popular technique so I'm having a hard time finding information on it. There are so many different variations of the actual jackall flick shake worm and tons of different jigheads. Are there any flick shake afficinados here that can steer me in the right direction.

Which versions of worms to use? Colors? Size? What is the best jighead to use? Best weight to use and to match with certain size worms? Normally I love experimenting with all the variables to find the perfect combination but I just have too many new techniques to try this year to spend the time and money on finding the ideal setup. I know there has got to be someone here that has already gone down that rabbit hole.

DarkShadow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Flick Shake Advice

Post by DarkShadow » Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:03 pm

Quite honestly, I've only thrown the Flick Shake in a Neko rig.

The weight I use depends on the conditions, but it's usually thrown on 6 to 8 pound flouro. I don't even drag it either. It's the most boring retrieve ever, because all I do is shake the slack enough for there to be a bow. Then I slowly reel in the slack and rinse and repeat.

I find that when I drag and shake, I don't get as many bites as I do when that thing is just sitting there slowly shaking.

jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jmb27 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:41 am

Firstoutfisher wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:33 pm

Which versions of worms to use? Colors? Size? What is the best jighead to use? Best weight to use and to match with certain size worms? Normally I love experimenting with all the variables to find the perfect combination but I just have too many new techniques to try this year to spend the time and money on finding the ideal setup. I know there has got to be someone here that has already gone down that rabbit hole.
I like to use the Jackall Flick Shake worms (mostly in 4.8" size--junebug if the water is a little dingy, watermelon red or green pumpkin candy otherwise). I prefer the Jackall weedless wacky jig head in any of the sizes as it is a rate of fall more or less depending on the weight and how deep you are fishing). I have used the Zappu inchi head as well.

For me, I'm using a lighter action spinning rod (or BFS setup) w/6 to 8 lb. line. While I am certainly not a master of this technique, I have found that casting it to targets and letting it fall on semi-slack line works best for me. If nothing on the fall, maybe another lift and fall or two and then move on to the next target. The bait seems to work best for me when I "leave it alone" and let the ends shake/undulate on the fall.

The Jackall Neko worms (they have been discontinued) will work for this as well--they just have a bit thicker end to accommodate a nail type weight used w/a Neko rig. And, I've used Zoom finesse worms on a flick shake head when I ran out of the flick shake worms--your favorite 4 to 5" worm will (likely) work.

sbd3
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by sbd3 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:55 pm

I use the flick shake a lot with great results, it's not that complicated really. The 4.8 and 5.8 are the 2 most common sizes and probably all you'll ever need. I'm not a big believer in colors; green pumpkin, black, and red is about all I use. For weight I use 1/16 for shallow fish in tough, calm conditions and 3/32 if they're deeper or a little windy. The jighead is not crucial as long as the hook size/gauge is appropriate to the worm, line, and rod power. If you want the best then it's the gamakatsu g-finesse, the best bang for the buck jighead imo is the berkley. My setup is a medium-light casting rod with a daiwa bfs reel, 10lb braid to 8lb leader.

MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MK49 » Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:32 pm

I bought a pack of Flick Shake about 15 years ago, and had never used it, until 2 years ago, when the water level was super low, and the fishing was really tough. I don't like finesse fishing, but I had to try some. It was that tough. ](*,) That's when I found the 15 years old Flick Shake. I caught a few fish with it, so I bought 10 more packs. :lol: It was one of my main baits in that tough year. I still don't enjoy using it, but when it's tough I have to use it. Last year, the fishing wasn't tough, so I used it only once or twice.

I used it with a 1/8oz wacky jig head. I just keep shaking my rod with it. It catches fish for sure. :D