kayak fisherman question

Come share your backwater or even blue water success and help others learn more about fishing from a 'yak.
JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: kayak fisherman question

Post by JerryC » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:08 pm

l2yan wrote:
angry john wrote: It seems as though it is some type of comp. to see who can have the most expensive gear.
If this is true, then Jerry wins hands down!! :lol:
haha.. I like the good stuff what can I say
neaafishing.com
bocabearings.com
power team lures

MiniVan
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by MiniVan » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:36 pm

If Im fishing on my own turf and know what they like I usually take only 2 rods. If Im fishing a new spot or area I will take 5-6 setups. It really just depends on how quick you want to change baits. I think 2 is the bare minimum. 1 with some sort of worm/soft plastic. The other will usually have a crank/topwater.
Austin Canoe & Kayak
713-660-7000
MiniVan

mcha16
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mcha16 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:34 pm

i usually bring 3, unless your really wanting to do a lot of different techniques.
i usually only bring a few baits as well, my yak isnt big enough for a lot of stuff.

mcha16
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mcha16 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:35 pm

i say, put 2 behind you and hold 1 in your lap area.
thats how i do it.

angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by angry john » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:56 pm

angry john wrote:i guess everyones idea of of the bare minimum is very diffrent. I on most trips bring one maybe two rods but only use one. On the river i used my ugly stick lite which was recently upgraded to a fenwick small mouth. I make compromises, as its not a very good worm rod, ok for cranks and best at small jigs. i have one tackle bag, but i find that i have a few confidence lures that i stick with. It seems as though it is some type of comp. to see who can have the most expensive gear. everyone has there way
Its crazy how a little time on this site will change the way you do things :o . I now always take 2 but sometimes 3 rods. I bring my 2 st croix avids 1 medium fast and one medium heavy fast, and a spinning for very lite lures and dropshot. I do a lot of river fishing so i tend to bring my 6'6" rods to the river. If the water is much larger i will bring the longer rods.

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:51 pm

so far this works the best for me for Largemouth and I usually fish familiar waters so I know what I'll be starting with heading in.
6'6" M Fast - Finesse bottom contact, hard jerks, soft jerks, topwater, Squarebills, senkos.
7' MH Moderate - Spinnerbaits, Crankbaits, bigger jerks, bigger topwater, bigger squarebills.
7'3" Heavy -Jigs, Frogs, Swimbaits.
7'6" Heavy - Punching/Flipping.
I'll throw in another setup with Flouro on the shorter two rods if I'm worried about water clarity of variety of presentation.

For smallies I'll usually swap in a DS rod, and a longer crankbait rod for the Heavier two rods. Unless I have a shot at a 5lb plus smallie, then I want to throw some big soft swimbaits.

Fastfish
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Fastfish » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:59 pm

2 or 3 the majority of the time 2 just never have had the need for more that if I bring too much stuff with me where do I put the couple of large dinner guests that I'm bringing home with me.

johnfuture
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by johnfuture » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:02 pm

i bring two. usually one baitcaster and one spinning. i only have two rod holders though until i can get my crate rigged up with some pvc to carry one extra rod, making a total of three.

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by JerryC » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:14 am

I recently mounted another ram mount rod holder near my crate mate in the back of my yack.. Now i can successfully bring 6 rods with me although the max i would bring is 5...

TravHale
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by TravHale » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:28 pm

I bring 5 when inshore fishing

1. Large jerkbait
2. Med. jerkbait
3. jig
4. spinnerbait
5. topwater.

hotdogin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hotdogin » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:21 am

I keep it at 3. I'd rather not have any more than that sticking up in the back for fear of snagging one while casting or getting tangled in low hanging limbs while searching coves.