Native Slayer 14.5

Come share your backwater or even blue water success and help others learn more about fishing from a 'yak.
shtuka
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Native Slayer 14.5

Post by shtuka » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:03 am

I am thinking about purchasing this kayak but there is no local dealer where I can see it/try it on the water. I would like to hear your experience with this kayak – especially from the (non- sponsored) owners.
I will be using it 50% on a smaller lakes and other 50% on the Great Lakes, predominantly within 200m from the shore (bass, pike, salmon)
Thanks
- My top two choices are Slayer and Jackson Cuda, but leaning more towards Slayer. So if you tested both, please give us comparison.

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Native Slayer 14.5

Post by JerryC » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:02 am

The slayer is a solid kayak for sure.. i do not own one but from what i have been hearing from a local dealer, its no joke! I sat in 1 that was all rigged out with bassyacks and seating wise it feels really comfortable. Enjoy it if you buy one.. Im a hobie guy, so im speaking from a 3rd party dont get me wrong.

shtuka
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by shtuka » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:58 am

Thanks Jerry,
Hobie looks interesting but the sticker price is what turned me off….
If you have experience with other brands, which one would you pick between Cuda and Slayer?

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by JerryC » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:08 am

shtuka wrote:Thanks Jerry,
Hobie looks interesting but the sticker price is what turned me off….
If you have experience with other brands, which one would you pick between Cuda and Slayer?
Slayer, from what I have heard and seen for myself. The kayak fishing store near my house has a Slayer in camo color with i believe humminbird FF & bassyacks set up.. Its probably the nicest set up ive seen on a kayak ever, not to mention how wide it looks. I watched a video of someone fishing on one and it looks super sturdy!

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:58 am

I can tell you from experience that the Slayer is > the Cuda hands down, all day every day. It is more stable and more comfortable. The seat is much better in the Slayer, if you sit in both you will find the Cuda has a bar in the back of the seat that sits right below your shoulder blades...that gets pretty annoying after a few hours on the water. Alot of people like the "well thought out" design of the Cuda vs Slayer and say the Slayer is a rip off and "dummed down" version. I disagree 100%. The rod stagers and tip protector on the Cuda are pointless, and honestly they just get in the way. The large storage access into the hull of the Cuda is also annoying to me. I like to move my legs around in the kayak, not have them blocked by a big piece of plastic I never use. The Slayer comes with a TON of slide-track which allows anyone to customize the boat how they want it (not have pre-determined locations for go-pro cameras and rod mounts like the Cuda). Also, the wheel on the Slayer is very handy when loading and unloading the kayak and taking it to/from the boat ramp. All in all, try to paddle both and decide for yourself. This is just my $.02 and im sure alot of people would disagree with me.