Looking for first kayak. FeelFree Lure 10 any good?

Come share your backwater or even blue water success and help others learn more about fishing from a 'yak.
nikbrewer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Looking for first kayak. FeelFree Lure 10 any good?

Post by nikbrewer » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:32 pm

Looking to get a kayak. Needs to be 10' to fit in the truck. Plan on using it on creeks with barely moving water, ponds, and lakes under 50 acres. Not worried about speed, but do want it stable, as i can lose my balance pretty easily dues to heath reasons. Saw one of these local used and at 36" wide, should be stable. Most the reviews i have read are positive as well. Anyone using one?

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Looking for first kayak. FeelFree Lure 10 any good?

Post by JerryC » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:04 am

Spend the extra money and get yourself a good used hobie kayak..

CALL ME RIFLE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by CALL ME RIFLE » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:56 am

Jerry, you do love your Hobies lol.....and they are sweet! Steep, but sweet...I see they will be offering a newly designed mirage drive that will now have reverse for 2017, makes it a game changer in a lot of ways....and even a new camo color, instead of the boring solids, a bit too old school...got me strongly considering investing Ina new Pro Angler....but, lots of dough....many thousands...
And then of course, new pedal yaks are coming out in droves...Old Town has the new PDL Predator that looks very promising, Perception is even doing a pedal version of the Pescador Pro that is supposed to retail around 17-1800....lots of good,cost effective choices anymore...
Specifically regarding the Lure 10, they are great little boats. I had a Mokken 10 Angler I ended up selling primarily as I wasn't fond of the seat, and the Lure's hull design is quite similar...VERY stable boat. You would have to go out of your way to flip it. Of course, the trade off is that it is slow, glides poorly...you will resemble a giant Zara spook when trying to get up to speed. But, as a slow river or pond boat, it's convenience and stability make it a sound choice....and the seating is great too, vast improvement over the Mokkens...
2016 models ought to be getting clearance sold about now, might be able to pick up a new one as low as 750-800 bucks if you shop around. Good luck!

Lafayette
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Lafayette » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:54 pm

× 1

Zara spook style tracking is the perfect comparison ;)

Padle vs pedal... It s another debate. Each system has its pros and cons.

Ryan808
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Ryan808 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:07 pm

The Lure is great for a non peddle yak. It's very stable and in my opinion drifts alot better then most yaks. What you'll love it's the adjustment seat and the large deck space. Now that being said, my Lure stays in the garage and now my fish my Titan.

Drew03cmc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Drew03cmc » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:22 am

I'd go for it. Feel Free makes a really nice boat for a great price. Grab it and fish the heck out of it.
Andy

filthyPhil
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by filthyPhil » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:08 pm

I had the lure 13.5, if the 10 foot model is the same width then it will be very stable. I'm 6'4 260 and could stand very easy. It was a great boat but the cost to upgrade to pedals and a rudder was a bit high.

jl1288
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by jl1288 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:44 am

I have owned a 10 foot feel free Lure for the past 5 years. I am 5ft 8in and 165lbs. It is a stable platform, and the hull design makes it a fast kayak on the water. It does sit low to the water and in wind and choppy water conditions you get a lot of spray over the bow. Now this is 5 year old model so the cons i'm going to lay out might not be pertinent any longer. With that said the first con is the drive, while it is smooth and the pedal effort is just right it is cumbersome to use. The way you have to pull 2 pins on either side of the drive to lower or raise the drive is cumbersome at best. The other con is the steering, while it is very responsive the original design looks very much like it was an after thought as to its design and implementation. When I bought my wife her pedal drive I went with the Jackson Coosa. Its almost 3ft longer and very stable. Its drive is perfect for someone that wants to set and forget the drive this is the one. The Jacksons drive is 2 pieces and the lower unit will pop up out of the way if you hit something under water whereas the Lure when it is down it is locked in the down position. With all this said last year as a retirement gift to myself I bought a Hobie Pro Angler 360 It is in a league all its own. THis is a ggod time of year to Kayak shop as you should be able to find a closeout deal like I found on my wife's Coosa. Good luck is your search.