Kayak Box

Come share your backwater or even blue water success and help others learn more about fishing from a 'yak.
GaterB
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Kayak Box

Post by GaterB » Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:27 pm

What, in y’all’s opinion, is the best “box” for kayak fishing? I want one that offers ample storage in combination with the ability to hold up to 5 combos. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
A fish in the hand is worth two in the brush

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Kayak Box

Post by freelancer27 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:04 pm

Lots of people like the YakAttack Black box. Comes with three rods pre-installed.

The Hobie H-Crate is also an option. A bit more expensive, but it looks like a bit quality product.

beezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by beezy » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:45 pm

What's your budget? If you're trying to spend the least amount of money, you can't go wrong with a milk crate. I'm still using one right now and I attached 6 rod holders to it. It can hold plenty of tackle and other accessories that I might need out on the water.

Bubbleboy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Bubbleboy » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:09 pm

I’ve used a few things over the years. The YakAttack Blackpak is the best out there. It holds six rod comfortably.

Toronto, Ont.

Sterfry26
Angler
Angler

Post by Sterfry26 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:24 am

I personally really like the blackpack. I have been kayak fishing for about 5 years now and have used all of the homemade crates and they just don't work as well. I would recommend getting the nucanoe one as it comes with hinges or just order the hinges afterward. The hinges go a long way and are a big quality of life improvement. I have some 3D printed brackets on mine that hold an extra rod holder on each side and they are slightly angled in. That in combination with a bit of padding here and there to dampen the noise has created a great crate for me.

MeatHead
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by MeatHead » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:32 am

beezy wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:45 pm
What's your budget? If you're trying to spend the least amount of money, you can't go wrong with a milk crate. I'm still using one right now and I attached 6 rod holders to it. It can hold plenty of tackle and other accessories that I might need out on the water.
This is what I use as well. Fits perfectly behind my cooler in the rear tank tankwell of my Outback and has plenty of storage space.

rando
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rando » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:01 am

Milk crate. Hard to beat for the price. PVC pipes for rod holders.
Cheap effective and never felt like I needed an upgrade.
Also, holes in the crate allow me to put a steak out pole through it.

GaterB
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by GaterB » Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:21 pm

Bubbleboy wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:09 pm
I’ve used a few things over the years. The YakAttack Blackpak is the best out there. It holds six rod comfortably.

Did you purchase the additional rod holders? I’ve only seen the black pack come with 3. Thanks!
A fish in the hand is worth two in the brush

TravisNY
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TravisNY » Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:39 am

The large Jackson JKrate if you can find one. It has the gear tracks on the lid and takes the ball screw mounts on the side. I’ve got 4 Ram mounts set up on it (could easily fit 5) and my rods aren’t vertical but trailing in line at downward angle with back of my Big Tuna. Rods ride on either side of my micro anchor.

I shaved a 3$ styrofoam cooler to fit inside of it and it’ll keep ice/food for days in summer swelter on multi day trips. In the cold months I keep extra dry clothes in it.

I’ve used this system since the Big Tuna came out with zero issues on bony smallmouth rivers in rain, sleet, snow.
Team flannel, overtime and promotion.

RayneStorm
Angler
Angler

Post by RayneStorm » Mon May 31, 2021 2:33 pm

I’m using the Flambeau Tuff Crate. Was able to grab it for $50, and is well worth that. I was going to build a custom milk crate setup, until I came across the Tuff Crate. I was money ahead after I priced out new milk crates shipped.