Kayak Cart

Come share your backwater or even blue water success and help others learn more about fishing from a 'yak.
Firstoutfisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Kayak Cart

Post by Firstoutfisher » Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:29 am

So finally got around to trying out the new yak and getting it from the car into the water loaded with pedal drive and all my gear is nearly impossible. Decided I need to get some kind of cart. Anyone here use a cart for their yak? What do you recommend? Looks like there are loads of products out there and I don't even know where to start.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Kayak Cart

Post by Jeffbro999 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:38 am

What kayak do you have? This gives an idea to the weight capacity needs of a cart. I have a Predator PDL and ordered a cheaper version off Amazon a while back, and you definitely get what you pay for. Frame flexed which made the wheels hard to turn, and the air valves on the tires kept leaking air(we have fine sugar white sand in this part of Florida, balloon tires are a must). Purchased the Malone cart and have no more issues. A little more expensive but is strong and the tires are quality. The carts with “bunks” work a lot better than the flat topped sit on top carts, and scupper carts are good but can eventually do damage to the kayak, and installing them with a fully loaded kayak usually takes 2 people.

Firstoutfisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Firstoutfisher » Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:54 pm

I actually got a bote lono aero with apex pedal drive. However I went out today to set it up and I'm not a fan of the amount of work and time the inflatable takes. Going to return it and probably get a native propel series yak. Which conveniently they make a cart specifically for that series. So I guess that solves that issue for me. Now I just have to find one in stock somewhere.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:23 am

Maybe it’s just me but I originally bought a kayak for the ease & mobility that a lightweight platform offered. I’m not criticizing, but to me pedal drive etc just increases weight and makes it more of a boat than a quick stable way to get on the water. Just my worthless 2 cents …

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:09 am

The Hobie Lynx is 45lbs hull weight...not gonna get lighter than that unless you go inflatable.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:15 am

Firstoutfisher wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:54 pm
I actually got a bote lono aero with apex pedal drive. However I went out today to set it up and I'm not a fan of the amount of work and time the inflatable takes. Going to return it and probably get a native propel series yak. Which conveniently they make a cart specifically for that series. So I guess that solves that issue for me. Now I just have to find one in stock somewhere.
Good deal man, glad you are figuring out some things. Native makes a nice kayak for sure, definitely won’t be disappointed. Lynx is nice, a buddy has one, but it’s a wet kayak if you are in any kind of chop.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:18 am

I use a C Tug thing. You can get them for half price on Aliexpress and you can get parts for them too there. Otherwise they are $150 at cableas.

Tigerbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tigerbass » Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:13 pm

Firstoutfisher wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:54 pm
I bought a used Native Slayer Max 12.5 pedal drive about a month ago and absolutely love it so far. I came with the “Landing Gear” which is a HUGE help. I’m still figuring it all out but I can load/unload and launch easily by myself. I fish a large reservoir so the pedal drive is an absolute must. Also great exercise!

Ryan808
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Ryan808 » Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:19 pm

If you have a heavier kayak, the Wilderness cart is hands down the best cart.

Preston
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Preston » Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:18 am

My buddy and I both have Native Titans 10.5. I went with the boondocks groovy landing gear, and he went with the Native branded landing gear. I think it's called the Sidekick. Both work. My legs are are a pain to get in and out of the knuckles. His go in so smoothly and click in place. The actual wheels on mine are not inflatable and roll roughly bouncing the kayak a lot. The wheels on his gear are inflatable which leads to what seems to be a much smoother roll. We agree the Native branded landing gear is a better experience.

Hope that helps a bit.

Ryan808
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Ryan808 » Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:36 am

If you don’t want to go the boonedox route, the other alternative to a heavy kayak is the Wilderness cart.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:48 pm

I use a Suspenz All-Terrain Airless Cart Model # 22-9908 for my Jackson Mayfly, and it takes a bit of practice, but once set properly underneath this heavy ~ 14' Jackson and strapped up, it is very simple and effective.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Vooden
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Vooden » Sun Sep 11, 2022 12:09 pm

I use a Hobie Lynx with a Fish-N-Mate 709 Deluxe carrier and the combo is light and fast to set up. Can't recommend both enough. I use mine solely in NE salt water.

MRQturbo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MRQturbo » Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:41 pm

if you can justify price..ketch kart is the best cart available...wilderness is a much cheaper alternative too....