Anyone make short glass UL casting rods?

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Anyone make short glass UL casting rods?

Post by jvelth74 » Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:07 pm

I have Kuying Teton SUL and Teton UL and I have also tried Teton L of my buddy.

Teton SUL was my favorite BFS rod until I bought Tsurinoya Ares...

Teton SUL is really parabolic action, or more...

Teton SUL is really nice rod with trout, it really gives a change for bigger fish... I have made couple of videos of it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnGvRAsH2Mc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkQYrhVm6O8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GwZUmK0ji4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QU41Mhkuvsk

But when comparing Tsurinoya Ares 472 to Kuying Teton SUL, in my honest opinion, Ares is better in everything, if not taking into account fun factor with fish, and have to say, also Ares is very good in it. Ares casts longer, cast more accurately, and do it with more comfort. (I haven't tested super light <1g lures, Teton SUL might be better in there.)

My current favorite stream fishing rod is Tsurinoya Trout Master, which is slightly stiffer and faster, and better caster than Ares...

Kuying Teton TTC510S I haven't yet got a possibility to test (it has been freezing and there is ice all over), but I hope fun factor with that rod and ease to cast lightest lures.

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:42 pm

Faaaantastic! :)

1. WHOA - you mean the Ares 4' 7" than the longerTeton 5' 2" (522SUL)

2. I just checked out the Trout Master. They make it in the same lengths as the Ares - 4' 7" and 5' 6". Which length do you have?

3. Do you find the Trout Master more sensitive with its carbon fiber handle and butt? It's an interesting design.

4. However, unlike the Ares, the Trout Master is not solid tube but hollow right?

Thanks again for sharing your experiences. =D>

jvelth74 wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:07 pm
I have Kuying Teton SUL and Teton UL and I have also tried Teton L of my buddy.

Teton SUL was my favorite BFS rod until I bought Tsurinoya Ares...

Teton SUL is really parabolic action, or more...

Teton SUL is really nice rod with trout, it really gives a change for bigger fish... I have made couple of videos of it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnGvRAsH2Mc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkQYrhVm6O8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GwZUmK0ji4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QU41Mhkuvsk

But when comparing Tsurinoya Ares 472 to Kuying Teton SUL, in my honest opinion, Ares is better in everything, if not taking into account fun factor with fish, and have to say, also Ares is very good in it. Ares casts longer, cast more accurately, and do it with more comfort. (I haven't tested super light <1g lures, Teton SUL might be better in there.)

My current favorite stream fishing rod is Tsurinoya Trout Master, which is slightly stiffer and faster, and better caster than Ares...

Kuying Teton TTC510S I haven't yet got a possibility to test (it has been freezing and there is ice all over), but I hope fun factor with that rod and ease to cast lightest lures.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:17 pm

ultralight wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:42 pm
Faaaantastic! :)

1. WHOA - you mean the Ares 4' 7" than the longerTeton 5' 2" (522SUL)

2. I just checked out the Trout Master. They make it in the same lengths as the Ares - 4' 7" and 5' 6". Which length do you have?

3. Do you find the Trout Master more sensitive with its carbon fiber handle and butt? It's an interesting design.

4. However, unlike the Ares, the Trout Master is not solid tube but hollow right?

Thanks again for sharing your experiences. =D>
1) Yes, Ares 4’7” comparing to Teton 5’2” SUL. Length is not that important factor in this class when comparing casting let’s say 3 gram lure. Ares can be casted much harder than Teton. Teton begins to behave indefinite much earlier. Ares also dampens faster. (And have to say just same for Trout Master over Ares. But using full potential of Trout Master rod demands some skills from caster…I’m learning every fishing day. I haven’t been in BFS not so long…)

2) I have that shorter one Trout Master, pretty similar than Ares. If casting heavier lures than 2 g, Trout Master just makes everything better than Ares. Difference is not big but it’s there. Maybe just a little of fun factor with fish is lost, but still this is really fun rod with fish. But for beginner in BFS I would suggest Ares over Trout Master, because rookie wouldn’t get any benefit with Trout Master but learning to casting can be more difficult.

3) Yes, it is made of higher quality of carbon and it’s more sensitivity. But in practical in my trout fishing this point is not important because my target fishes are 1.5 kg rainbow trouts or seatrouts. Those can be felt 😊 I was suspecting that carbon butt of Trout Master. But actually it does not limit my casting, vice versa in Underhand Pitching casts it's beneficial for example. And in case of big fish, it can be used as a support.

4) It’s same design as Ares. Rod itself is solid. In advertisements it’s stated solid tip. But Tip = rod itself, because it’s butt-joint rod. It is good construction for short BFS rod I think. Yes, it’s a little heavy, but really very little. And certainly it’s not top heavy at all, reels seat + handle is that weighs.
But that have to say of Trout Master handle, it’s certainly not for anybody. Traditional baitcasting grip is horrible with it. It’s that short grip. I have been using this kind of palming grip, also in casting:
palming Grip 1.jpg
palming Grip 1.jpg (28.14 KiB) Viewed 3888 times
palming Grip 2.jpg
palming Grip 2.jpg (24.23 KiB) Viewed 3888 times
Red arrow shows where trigger is…
In the beginning it feels very strange, but it’s actually good in case of one hand casting. And reel must be relatively small. Air Alphas is good. Actually only downside of it is that, it’s that sturdy, that sometimes I cast over rod limits, and that’s backlash… And also that in freezing conditions when gloves are needed, then standard baitcasting grip is better.

I have been working on video review of Tsurinoya Trout Master, but because I’m total rookie in review making and therefore my raw video material is not that good and because of that there is huge amount of work in video making…

[I modified message because I found that my pictures are in allowed size limits and removed links and uploaded pictures...]
Last edited by jvelth74 on Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Sat Feb 12, 2022 4:57 pm

Thank you for taking time to reply so extensively. Very grateful - this whole forum really, is just filled with fantastic people.

Take you time on the Trout Master review - please post the link here when you are done.

I routinely would tangle with Trout in the 2-3 kg class. But using 2 lbs line for that. So I'll start with the Ares. I do wonder how much further the 5' 6" will cast.

THanks again for all the comments. No more questions. :D

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:50 am

Those 4'7" rods are small stream rods and those casts enough in these places. I tried it once in open water fishing from a boat. Definately not meant for that.

...It's nice to 'spin a yarn' in a good spirit of fishing tackle and change opinions around the world :) And in a same time to educate each other.

Btv, finally it seems that 'ice age' is soon over also in Finland. \:D/
ultralight wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 4:57 pm
Take you time on the Trout Master review - please post the link here when you are done.
It might take some time, or alot of more, for that video, but I took some random video, probably from my first fishing trip with Trout Master III, and made a short 1,5 minute video from it. Casting technique is far from perfect (because I'm just using to this rod) and I'm wondering how to cast with strange grip like in this rod.

Actually I forget that I have earlier published videos of fishing with Trout Master:

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:17 pm

Thanks! Very cool. :D

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:15 am

Made a new video of fishing with Tsurinoya Trout Master:

Nice nature of Nukari rapids, in a wonderful weather.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:50 pm

ultralight wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 4:57 pm
Sorry but probably it still will take a time :D But here's a video of fishing with Trout Master:

It's a super good rod, but it requires palming grip also in casting. Or rebuild grip :D

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Thu May 19, 2022 1:15 pm

Probably no need for build a short glass UL baitcasting rod...Aaron using Lemoren Windshadow rod in this video:

Seems like Aaron has plenty of videos of fishing with this rod. Like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0RGPBRB4ak

My buddy has this same rod, with different butt section than Aaron. Hi has nothing bad saying for this rod (but it's not for long casts nor power casts nor truly to command a fish..) I visited at his home with my reel (GekkaBijin) to see that rod.

Rod is really soft and slow and fully parabolic action... I think it is good for short to medium casts, and super fun with fish. Rod is pretty heavy weighted as a short BFS rod, but it's well balanced and it's short and therefore it doesn't feel too heavy. I felt that rod weight can be beneficial feature to casting with this super soft rod (by using whipping effect). Underhand pitching casts should also be super easy with this slow and bendy and short rod, also for beginners.
Lemoren Windshadow.jpg
Lemoren Windshadow.jpg (26.27 KiB) Viewed 3210 times
My buddy has that Gen 3 butt section. In my opinion that grip could be better...In my opinion that (Gen 3) grip just is too thick for a short BFS rod with whether using traditional baitcasting grip or palming grip. But that Gen 3 reel seat was really good for palming. For traditional grip trigger wasn't best shaped. I don't like that style reel seats that Aaron has ordered (Gen 1.) So I ordered that Gen 2 butt section. But now I saw that rod with Gen 1 reel seat that Aaron has is really cheap. Maybe I should have ordered that and try it and if don't like, Gen 2 butt section alone doesn't cost too much. Or just to take apart aluminum/steel insert from Gen 1, and rebuild reel seat and grip - I didn't think throughout this...

Decided to pair this with KUYING FREESTYLE UL FWC604 viewtopic.php?f=55&t=84536. With a pair of these rod's I'm believing that I will cover basically all my needs in Trout BFS stream fishing. Windshadow for general use. And if I need casting distance, then taking Kuying Freestyle. Main use will be for bicycle fishing, avoiding rod case. Windshadow might arrive on this week. Kuying will take a week or two more.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:28 am

I didn't remember that I have this blank...:
solid blank 126 cm.jpg
solid blank 126 cm.jpg (21.76 KiB) Viewed 2802 times
rod length.jpg
rod length.jpg (36.53 KiB) Viewed 2802 times
Heavy rod.jpg
Heavy rod.jpg (52.71 KiB) Viewed 2802 times
umpilasikuituvapa.jpg
umpilasikuituvapa.jpg (9.38 KiB) Viewed 2802 times
Have to build this in some point. It nearly fits to NTY handle part. Just need a little sanded and a little coated. This rod is heavy :shock: Length only 126 cm (something 4'1") and 110 grams, without rings and wrapping and coating...And it feels a little bit tip heavy :shock: This blank is fast action.

I guess that at least Leydun brand rod and maybe Aioushi brand (solid glassfiber rods with same dimensions as this) are made from same origin blank...

d510addict
Angler
Angler

Post by d510addict » Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:36 pm

Has anyone experimented with cutting down one of these?
I wrapped a full length blank for Bass....seems capable. But I have no idea what the UL rods that you all are referencing, feel like.