G. Loomis GCX Lite - thoughts

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Hulkster
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

G. Loomis GCX Lite - thoughts

Post by Hulkster » Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:38 am

Always exciting to see a new line of rods aimed at the light and ultralight angler.

I guess these effectively replaced their TSR trout rods

thoughts, comments?

https://www.gloomis.com/products/gcx-lite-spinning

fffishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: G. Loomis GCX Lite - thoughts

Post by fffishing » Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:24 pm

Thanks for info! Looks like budget line,and good chose for different condition...but why no cast models :cry:

oops
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by oops » Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:47 am

Hulkster wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:38 am
Always exciting to see a new line of rods aimed at the light and ultralight angler.
I'd love to one day be able to order premium USDM trout/UL rods and reels to take full/easier advantage of warranties.

I personally don't have much interest in these rods but I hope they are popular and encourage Loomis to push UL into their higher end lines. There are already a few GLX TSR rods, fingers crossed for them be brave enough to bring them into NRX+ (or even Asquith?! lol) one day.

Thunderblack1984
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Thunderblack1984 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:10 pm

Interested in these as well. Pretty high price point for what looks like a revamped e6x. Its hard to image these are better than avids but who knows. I can't say that until I fish one.
Philippians 4:6

Hulkster
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hulkster » Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:35 am

I have the TSR 791 (non GLX) and its a fantastic rod. but I believe all of them have been discontinued? except maybe the GLX TSR rods?

I'm assuming that's why they came out with these pretty much the whole TSR lineup (which I think were released in 2008) are retired now.

the thing with the Loomis UL rods vs the avid UL rods is the avid ones are much more whippy, they might call them fast action but they seem more mod fast.

the Loomis UL tapers have always been more of a true fast action UL which I think is a good thing.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:19 pm

Now they just need to make it 36" length so I can use it for ice fishing instead of their tennessee IMX-Pro Ice. Even better if they make it 32" length just for me. :big grin:
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

Oktayne the Red
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Oktayne the Red » Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:17 am

I found the pics of the guides. They look like an awfully heavy/cheap set of guides. No excuse for that at this price point. No, not expecting titanium/torzite, but those guides look like 90s tech dressed up in a modern shape. The 1 piece 6' UL looked nice, but those guides are a dealbreaker to me.

Sorry to be so negative.

Hulkster
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hulkster » Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:24 am

ya, a local tackle shop told me that they are having all kinds of problems getting fuji guides now.

I am wondering if that was the reason for the change from Fuji to these SeaWorld ones or whatever they are called lol

Hulkster
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hulkster » Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:25 am

thank god the reel seats are still Fuji, i am so used to Fuji components on Loomis rods (and some St. Croix rods) I don't want to buy a rod that doesn't have them lol

Oktayne the Red
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Oktayne the Red » Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:46 am

I do like the seats. That's still my preferred UL seat, cork insert, Fuji skeleton. Simple, durable, light, and comfy. Some of the newer fancy seats are just too busy.