Why Magnetic Braking System Than Centrifugal Braking On BFS reel?

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Ghost
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Location: 1313 Mockingbird Lane, Death Valley, CA 90210-->Now via Indiana

Why Magnetic Braking System Than Centrifugal Braking On BFS reel?

Post by Ghost » Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:15 pm

I've noticed that its magnetic braking from Shimano, Daiwa and Abu Garcia; even Kasking is using magnetic than centrifugal. Why is that?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Why Magnetic Braking System Than Centrifugal Braking On BFS reel?

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:23 pm

Bottom line, it is more predictable and capable with light lures. It is also more forgiving in the wind.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Sat Jun 04, 2022 4:10 pm

I am a Daiwa Fanboy when it comes to bait cast gear. But Shimanos FTB system seems to be the best for finesse. the Shimano system has removed all unnecessary weight from the spool to make the spools as light as possible for less start up inertia, a centrifugal system has to have that weight on the spool and the Daiwa magforce system adds weight to the spool due to the inductor cup. But overall a magnetic system is able to help with reducing that spool weight. less start up inertia and rotational mass to move those light weight lures. Its a bit like in automotive racing where they reduce the weight of an engines fly wheel. the engine will rev quicker but also decelerate quicker, a heavier fly wheel takes more effort to get moving but also keeps moving for longer wheel the power is taken off.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:30 pm

Ghost wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:15 pm
I've noticed that its magnetic braking from Shimano, Daiwa and Abu Garcia; even Kasking is using magnetic than centrifugal. Why is that?
Magnetic reels brake right down the the last spool revolution where centrifugal reels have very little braking happening. Centrifugal reels with very light weight baits have difficulty controlling the spool and will backlash as the baits slow. I would shoot a bait out there with my UL capable centrifugal Haibo Smart and all would be well until the end of the cast where I suddenly would fine the spool over running on me. Baits that carried their momentum well did just fine but once I got well below 1/8 oz total weight the spool would over run at the end of the cast because the tiny baits slowed so much at the end. That reel also has a magnetic 2nd brake and turning that up solved the issue. For bass baits I think centrifugal is fine but if you want the tiny trout stuff you'll find that reels designed for that have magnetic brake spools. The reasoning being that that braking profile does a better job at controlling the spool when casting these baits and is a bit lighter too.

It's the opposite of casting a compact bait heavy bait where you want a free braking profile to allow the bait to really fly unhindered. With the teeny tiny UL baits they shoot off fast from the rod tip then very rapppily slow with air resistance. You want a braking profile that can apply braking all the way to the bait hitting the water. Something that will smoothly brake all the way to the last spool rotation to control the spool to match it to the bait. Fixed inductor Daiwa or linear magnetic braking does exactly this.

John2204
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by John2204 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:52 am

I think it also has to do with the weight of the spool, the brake system on a spool adds a few grams, while the magnetic system is mounted on the reel, not the spool, less spool weight- the easier it is to cast light lures

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:25 am

I'm a FTB or Daiwa mag brake fan but...casting a compact micro lure on centrifugal brakes is so effortless for the distance.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

flipper502
Angler
Angler

Post by flipper502 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:34 pm

For BFS it's about the added weight of the brake assembly on the spool, especially important as you approach the outside diameter. That's also why BFS tend to use smaller diameter spools to minimize the inertia of not only the spool but the mass of line around it.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:46 pm

flipper502 wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:34 pm
For BFS it's about the added weight of the brake assembly on the spool, especially important as you approach the outside diameter. That's also why BFS tend to use smaller diameter spools to minimize the inertia of not only the spool but the mass of line around it.
Shimano FTB doesn't require external inductor / added mass. But Air Daiwa's Air inductor doesn't add too much inertia.
Last edited by jvelth74 on Tue Nov 01, 2022 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:17 am

Ghost wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:15 pm
It's the braking profile. Magnetic brakes has linear brake curve, with exception of slowest revolution, where it goes asymptotically to 0. https://www.irjet.net/archives/V3/i4/IRJET-V3I4160.pdf Centrifugal brakes has exponentially growing brake curve.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:33 am

BARRAMANIAC wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 4:10 pm
I am a Daiwa Fanboy when it comes to bait cast gear. But Shimanos FTB system seems to be the best for finesse. the Shimano system has removed all unnecessary weight from the spool to make the spools as light as possible for less start up inertia, a centrifugal system has to have that weight on the spool and the Daiwa magforce system adds weight to the spool due to the inductor cup.
I don't have apart BFS Daiwa inductor, so I weighted SV inductor which I have apart. It weights 1,6 g. So I think Air reels inductor weights something 0,8 g. Air spool with line weights 10 g. Inductor diameter is 18 mm. Spool (with line) mass centrum diameter is something 26 mm.
J=mr^2.
0,8/10 x (18/26)^2 = 0,038.
Inductor plays ~4% role of spool rotational inertia.

So thinking how much this is...Inertia shrinks by 4% if taking inductor off. Same effect to inertia is if 10 g spool lightens to 9,6 g.

tincanary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tincanary » Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:03 am

I feel like I'm the only fan of the centrifugal brake for BFS. The old school Abu 2-pin on my small Ambassadeurs is the most predictable and fuss free brake I've used. My 2500Cs outcast both my Conquest BFS and Millionaire CT w/ SV700S over a wider range of weights and techniques on the same rods with the same line. It requires no adjusting between 2g and 7g and will pitch and flip cast equally well with zero spool tension. I've tried the magnetic brake with them and then they become fiddle brakes like all the current Japanese stuff.

rcdemel
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by rcdemel » Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:53 am

Another centrifugal brake fan here. I just got in to the BFS game about a year ago and am having a blast. While I do appreciate the magnetic braking system on my Alphas and Curado BFS reels, I find the old Shimano centrifugal brake system is a lot less finicky to use plus I pick up extra casting distance with most of the baits I throw (generally 3-4 grams). I have several older Curado 50Es and their Scorpion counterparts that I added Avail shallow spools to, and they perform perfectly fine for my applications.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:41 am

rcdemel wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:53 am
Another centrifugal brake fan here. I just got in to the BFS game about a year ago and am having a blast. While I do appreciate the magnetic braking system on my Alphas and Curado BFS reels, I find the old Shimano centrifugal brake system is a lot less finicky to use plus I pick up extra casting distance with most of the baits I throw (generally 3-4 grams). I have several older Curado 50Es and their Scorpion counterparts that I added Avail shallow spools to, and they perform perfectly fine for my applications.
I have a Yumeya spool Scorpion XT 1000. For that range of baits centrifugal really does excel in distance especially with 1/20 to 1/7 oz head ned rigs that cast like darts. The super UL stuff that floats down to the ground? Not so much. I prefer the magnetic and especially linear magnetic brake BFS reels for that.

Slary
Angler
Angler

Post by Slary » Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:19 am

This BFS in FUN :-D
In many ways...but I LOVE it.

Brakes:
I like Shimano's FTB. I have Scorpion BFS. I like, very good reel. It do what it should do.

I have a couple Daiwa's. I am not so pleased about moving induktor. Especially SV spool AIR-induktor ON/OFF-movement. Mag-Z is great. 3D gives allready too much adjustments :-D

BUT back to the brakes:
"Best" brake, the FTB brake is so complex to understand :-) That our china friends don't understand, when make reel right/left handed, have to change brakeassembly too.
But hey! I have used all summer copyreel with not working FTB. (letf hand Black knight II).

After that...I am not sure how much is needed...adjusting brake force in BFS :-D

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:35 am

In short accurate casts any variable magnetic brake doesn't do anything good. But if trying to cast as long as can, then those variable magnetic brakes makes it much easier. Like in my GekkaBijin Air. With fixed inductor Roro spool can be casted as long as -or almost as long as- than with Original spool, but it's much harder.