BFS Topwater rod recommendation

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
primus
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

BFS Topwater rod recommendation

Post by primus » Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:34 am

Looking for a rod that is not overly expensive to throw 1/8 to 1/4 oz topwater baits like floating rapalas and small poppers , length wise I would prefer something in the 6'6" - 6'10 " range. I would like something that has a little power in case I run into a 5 lber though I realize there is some sacrifice in that dept due to the physics involved in rods with a little softer tip to throw these type of baits . I already have a Shimano BFS reel to pair up with it. I saw the Shimano Majestic in a 6'8" light , anyone expeirienced with that one ?

Shimano Majestic Rod Series
Rated 4.75 out of 5 based on 4 customer ratings(4 customer reviews)
MODEL: B68L-BFS-2
B64L-BFS-2B68L-BFS-2
Clear
Rod Length/Power/Action/Line Rating/Lure Rating:
6’8″/Light/Fast/6-12lb Nylon (0.6-1.5goh braid)/3-15g (1/10oz-1/2oz)

Of course if there are better options in a lower price range I would appreciate those as well . Thanks

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: BFS Topwater rod recommendation

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:14 am

That rating looks perfect for what you describe. You can always go the Aliexpress route for a few interesting options, they have some moderate/moderate fast light powered rods that would probably work great for topwater. I hate to list any though, because they change and there are so many options on there. There is also a Curado series rod with a 6'10"Light rating, but it is a moderate taper and could be out of the desired price range.

What line do you plan on running?

primus
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by primus » Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:42 am

I was thinking 6 lb mono, maybe 8 . I might consider the Curado, a little more than I wanted to spend on a rod used primarily for topwaters but that wouldn't be the first time I exceeded my budget on fishing tackle. :D Even though it's fiberglass I assume that it wouldn't be too bulky and heavy given it's short length. That said I would love to see one up close and personal or get feedback from anyone that has used one.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:28 am

primus wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:42 am
I was thinking 6 lb mono, maybe 8 . I might consider the Curado, a little more than I wanted to spend on a rod used primarily for topwaters but that wouldn't be the first time I exceeded my budget on fishing tackle. :D Even though it's fiberglass I assume that it wouldn't be too bulky and heavy given it's short length. That said I would love to see one up close and personal or get feedback from anyone that has used one.
See I don't have a setup for micro topwaters. Bought an Avid X 6'6"M for $95 on clearance at a local sports goods store. I used an old Zillion TWS (doesn't cast light lures well) and run 16lb Sunline Mono. Not a bad setup, but left me lacking in finesse.

The Curado 6'10"Light was listed under the regular Curado series, not the Glass series. I don't know the makeup of that specific rod though, and normally bass rods rated as a Light are much stouter than expected on a panfish or general purpose Light powered rod.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:31 am

I hear major Craft is as good as it gets
Although I haven’t personally used any of their products
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

primus
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by primus » Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:35 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:28 am
primus wrote:
See I don't have a setup for micro topwaters. Bought an Avid X 6'6"M for $95 on clearance at a local sports goods store. I used an old Zillion TWS (doesn't cast light lures well) and run 16lb Sunline Mono. Not a bad setup, but left me lacking in finesse.

The Curado 6'10"Light was listed under the regular Curado series, not the Glass series. I don't know the makeup of that specific rod though, and normally bass rods rated as a Light are much stouter than expected on a panfish or general purpose Light powered rod.
This is the one I saw on the tackle warehouse website ...

01Shimano Curado Glass Casting Rod 6'10" Light
Taper Line Wt. Lure Wt. Guides Handle Type Handle Length Stock Price Qty
Moderate 6-12lb 1/8-3/8oz 8+Tip Curado 21 A 14" In Stock: 4 $179.99

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:40 pm

primus wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:35 pm
DirtyD64 wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:28 am
primus wrote:

This is the one I saw on the tackle warehouse website ...

01Shimano Curado Glass Casting Rod 6'10" Light
Taper Line Wt. Lure Wt. Guides Handle Type Handle Length Stock Price Qty
Moderate 6-12lb 1/8-3/8oz 8+Tip Curado 21 A 14" In Stock: 4 $179.99
I see it now, it was under the regular Curado rod tab, but clearly says "GLASS" on that model when you scroll down.