NEWBIE/Beginner's Guide

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!

Is this post helpful?

Poll ended at Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:32 pm

Yes
50%
No
No votes
I can't believe I wasted my time reading this
50%

Total votes: 2

Justin
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

NEWBIE/Beginner's Guide

Post by Justin » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:32 pm

Hello everyone, I'm a newbie here, and looking to get into UL, bridging over from saltwater fishing. I mainly sought to get into UL, so I could take some light tackle while traveling/camping, so I can spend more time fishing. There is a lot of really good info on this site, and I'm hoping we could start a "Beginner" thread that could help new people like me get started. Maybe it could even be a sticky at the top of this area. I'm looking for a good basic set up, that will require minimal investment in gear. Then, as I enjoy the sport more, and face more challenging conditions, I could add to my arsenal. And yes, I understand like any sport, you can get cheap stuff that's crap, and really good stuff for a lot of money. I'm on a working man's budget and am looking for basic, no frills go-to stuff that's proven to work, kind of like my old Chevy Truck. This isn't the thread to talk about the $300 rod with a $200 reel filled with $25 worth of line.

Reel-Currently I have a Shakespeare model 20, that I got a screaming deal on at Bass Pro. It seems good enough to start with. Any thoughts?

Rod-Since travel is in mind, I'd like something that will work well with the above reel, break down into 2 or three sections and fit in a suitcase or carry on in a tube-type protector

Line-There's a lot of info on this, the above reel is rated for 2, 4 and 6LB test. Seems like clear or green are good color choices, and mono seems to be everyone's favorite. I'm tempted to go with about 40 yards of 6lb Braided line, with about 40 yards of 4lb green mono as a leader(the above reel is rated for 110yds of 4lb. and 65 yds of 6lb. Or, go with 110yds of 4lb green mono.

Lure's-I'm not looking to buy every possible kind of lure for every possible condition. What i'm looking for is a good list of go-tos that will fill a small Plano double-sided box(the ones that are about 3"X 5" or 4" X 6". Enough to have a fair variety of colors and types to make changes on the fly(like the pun?) Here are my thoughts:
*several of each jig heads in 1/32 oz, 1/16 oz, and 1/8 oz.
*several different colors of plastic grubs, jigs and leaches, sizes 1/2" to 1-1/2"(chartreuse, yellow and white)
*several different colors and sizes of in-line spinner baits
*few small hooks, split shot weights, and fishbites to rig similar to a salt-water bottom rig
*extra swivels, snap-hooks, nail clippers for line, line pic for the inevitable tangle

Anyone know of a good bulk plastic bait place? Somewhere I can pick out 4 or 5 of each of the plastics I mentioned above instead of getting a "kit", or packs of 15-25 of each lure? Or are the "kits" the best way to go, and only pack a few at a time into the box?

Anyone have trouble flying with something like the above package as carry-on? I'm thinking the hooks might be a problem.

I really appreciate everyone's help, and hope that this thread can help other newbies in the future.

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: NEWBIE/Beginner's Guide

Post by Smead » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:58 pm

hello and welcome to the forum!!

I'm sure that everyone could benefit in some way. Though maybe one thread is too little to contain it all.

I often find it challeging anjd even helpful to myself to explain something I know to someone who's asking a question. Have to order thoughts, ponder my response for sensibility and etc.

The more people that take up the pursuit, the beter we will be served by all producers of gear.

Gear cost is always an issue...there are good arguements to spend to get good stuff so you don't end up respending to replace junk, or stuff that doesn't allow you to do what you want. On the other hand, if you are fishing at a level less than Jeremy Wade and/or have to do practical things like spend money for food to keep children and pets alive...one has to be reasonable.

One caution in not spending real big bucks is wait until you figure out what aspect(s) you enjoy. Some people enjoy a big fight on light tackle, some enjoy make a regular size fish a big fight, others want to cast the lightest lures the farthest...some try to achieve it all...etc., etc., etc. then there's the water you fish and from shore or by boat/kayak.

Probablely an excellent opportunity to read up and ask questions and maybe by the time the Black Friday/X-mas sales hit you could have a good ideas of what you might like to get and then there' it is at reduced price.

Regarding that spending issue and others...such as mono, you may be surprised that there is quite a good bit of debate on all off it.

TroutStlkr
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by TroutStlkr » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:46 am

I know you are looking for something compact for easy transport, but what kind of fish and fishing scenarios are you anticipating. I don't want to necessarily steer you away from UL as I love UL fishing as well, but only use it when it's matched to the situation and target species. I'm not saying UL should be limited to trout and panfish either, but if you are looking at larger freshwater species, you don't necessarily have to limit yourself to UL just for the sake of ease of transport. There are plenty of travel rods out there running the entire spectrum from UL on up. I haven't tried the 2 piece travel versions of these, but know that the one piece Shimano Clarus rods give you a lot of performance for the price and assume the same to be true of the travel 2 piece versions. You can drop down a level and try the 2 piece Convergence travel rods as well and still get a pretty good rod for a few less greenbacks. If you are set on UL, I personally don't think you can't beat the Fenwick River Runners for right around $100. I love my higher dollar Loomis spinning rods and think they are a little better overall, but dollar for dollar, these win IMO.

As for reels, I think there is a lot of value in the mid to lower level Shimanos ( Symetre, Sahara). Cheaper reels can be had though that are still solid and perform. Daiwa Legalis and Pflueger President are tough to beat for around $50. For most UL, mono is all you need and so you really don't need to spend anymore than $7 or $8 on a respool. I prefer Sunline Supernatural in green or clear. Sufix Elite is also good. Trilene XL does the job too. All are cheap.

If you are fishing streams, I think it's best to start with a decent selection of inline spinners. Gold, brass and copper blades for low to normal water levels and slightly overcast to bright days, while silver or nickle will work well on darker days or for stained water. Those are going to run about 3 to 5 bucks a pop and you will donate several to the snags and streamside vegetation if you are fishing them right, so you need several on hand. You can assemble your own for around a dollar a piece to help the pocket book and it's really simple to do.

angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by angry john » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:12 pm

i always find that i can fish a heavier pole for lighter fish but not so well the other way. As an example i could catch a 4lb bass on a musky pole, which i do often throwing swim baits, but doing the same on a UL pole on 4lb test would require a better than average angler and open water. The poles you find at walmart would be the kia's of rods not the Chevy's. The st croix avid would be the chevy your looking for, and can be found on epay used at a decent price. I have owned quite a few rods, and the lightest power that i still have is a medium lite. The ML is great for everything from pan-fish to smaller bass. The better rods are lighter to cary, and smaller to pack. Micro guides will take up a lot less room in a tube, and make them easier to transport. The bottom eye on a spinning pole is usually very large and is a limiting factor on how big of tube you will need. I would also say that it runs the highest risk of being bent or broken when traveling. No one rod is good for everything, but a medium or medium lite with a 2000 or 2500 series reel is them most versatile in my opinion. I would also select a fast action vise medium or xfast. Middle of the road will not be best at many applications but will not be as limiting as the extremes.

skinhead
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by skinhead » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:39 am

Just to add my 2 pence worth (I'm English), I'd say buy the best that you can realistically afford, remember the addage, "Buy cheap and you'll buy twice". Don't be fooled into thinking UL is only for small fish, the 4 biggest fish that I have ever caught, carp and pike between 23lb and 36lb, were all taken on XUL / UL tackle. For line I always use braid, this season with a 12"-18" flourocarbon leader that will break at 1lb less than the braid, it appears to have increased my catch rate. Utralight is addictive, and you will end up burning a lot of coin as you build up your arsenal. Immerse yourself and enjoy.