Daiwa Tournament SS Reel

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Daiwa Tournament SS Reel

Post by zodiak311 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:15 am

Smead wrote:In the meantime, I did get my hands on a Made in Thailand SS700; sold as new other with box.

Tearing it apart, not much difference; main gear is black oxide coated. Axle screw had loktite on it.

Two open bearings more modern style than the Japan built models, one shielded bearing. All bearings encountered seemed fine.

Seems like I finally ran into some original drag washers; the previous reels all seemed to have carbon replacements. OEM is felt with titanium added somehow...already ordered some Smoothdrag replacements.

BTW...replacing the worm shaft bushing with a 3x6x2.5 bearing is very simple.

Also, if you have a grease syringe, you can remove the rear cap and apply grease to the worm shaft and the main gear. Anything put on the main gear will get to the pinion and worm shaft gears. You might want to apply grease on the main gear in a few spots, just turn the handle a bit each time.

For those who haven't used them, these 1 ml syringes are ideal for point application of grease and oil...got mine on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NDE ... UJCOAVH826

The 3x6x2.5 work gear bearing upgrade is for the ss700?

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smead » Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:44 am

Yes, it's the same size on both the SS700 and SS1300.

All bearing sizes mm:

SS700

Left Gear Bearing 7x14x3.5
Right Gear Bearing 6x13x5
Pinion Bearing 7x14x3.5
Worm Gear Bearing 3x6x2.5

SS1300

Right Gear Bearing 7x14x3.5
Pinion Bearing 7x14x5

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:09 am

Smead wrote:Yes, it's the same size on both the SS700 and SS1300.

All bearing sizes mm:

SS700

Right Gear Bearing 6x13x5
Pinion Bearing 7x14x3.5

SS1300

Right Gear Bearing 7x14x3.5
Pinion Bearing 7x14x5
Cool, thanks!

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smead » Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:48 am

You're welcome!

dv1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by dv1 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:24 am

I ordered up a ss700 to try. It will either go on my St. Croix legend elite 70lf or my fenwick River runner 6-9l. One will have a Stradic and the other the ss700.

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smead » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:30 am

Cool!

If it's used, see the links to see that worm gear washer that should be there.

The only issue I ever had was on one where the previous owner had lost the washer on a used reel.

Should not be an issue if your getting a new reel.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:41 am

I will be fishing mine on a Hedgehog this coming week. 8-)

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smead » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:12 am

I just finished rebuilding a SS1600 out of a couple of part reels; I still need a spool for it. Way, way beyond UL, but enjoyable to work on.

Somehow, I now have (3) SS700's. :o :oops:

jigmaster5
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jigmaster5 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:10 am

great reels! very reliable. good drags. good line lay from the worm gear. all around very nice for their time.

around the time that i purchased my SS700, i was a high-school kid working summers in a bait & tackle on Cape Cod (Mass). (it was a struggle not to spend all of my meager wages on fishing stuff). we sold tons of Penn reels - many of them came back for repairs. i don't recall a single Daiwa SS series coming back for repairs. they were (& still are) very solid, reliable reels. most of the ones we sold were used in saltwater, too - which is especially harsh.

in my opinion, the best versions were the originals made in Japan. (just my 2 cents.)

i still use mine for topwater fishing with mono. the reel handles mono exceptionally well because of the elongated spool + worm gear + 5 degree cross-wraps. the anti-reverse is solid, but not instant and a bit jarring. the mono takes some of the shock (not your wrist). alot of fun with UL poppers like the rebel teeny pop-r, #5 rapala skitter pop, rebel crickhopper, & the new Rapala UL popper

here's some pics...

http://i.imgur.com/LV2XSZK.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/usJVEJ0.jpg

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smead » Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:06 am

I wasn't a fan of composite body reels until I got into these...whatever they made it out of is spooky strong. The few I've seen with damaged feet shows damage/breaks that look like metal, rather than how composite shatters.

I also like the way the bail arms are attached with pins, along with the simplicity of an external trip bail.

I find them very easy to work on for being a non vintage era reel and parts are available.

The size of the SS700 appears to be around the Shimano 750/1000 size.

Bryin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bryin » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:22 am

The SS was the first nice reel I ever owned... got one back sometime around 1989... put it on a Powell custom UL 5' spinning rod... loved the combo... it was stolen during a move...

But there is no way I would trade a modern high end reel for a SS.. I played with new model and it was no where near as smooth.

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smead » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:24 am

I think it depends on your budget,

For those at $100 and under regarding what they can afford, it's a serious option. This is especially true given that you can pick up lightly used Japan made reels at anywhere from $65-85 shipped.

I've torn apart many reels at a price point of $120 to $70 that are currently available now, or were in the short term past; you find a lot of parts that are stamped, die cast, fiddly or made of plastic. The reel is designed for assembly, not dis-assembly, cleaning and re-assembly.

I would expect better of higher end reels. Sticking to USDM, for Shimano that would be the Stradic at least...Daiwa's might be the Certate at this point. Currently, looking at schematics, the Ballistic and below are all becoming the same real with more features as you spend more.

No one seems to be raving about the new Saros, while the current Symetre seems to have Ergonomic issues.

Okuma seems to be confused regarding it's freshwater offererings currently. Quantum has gotten rid of some of it's PTi reels...you still have the Smoke, but it costs similar to a Stradic.

However, regarding smoothness, one can get it from precision components that are properly aligned and supported...and will stay that way. One can also get it from usung softer gearing material...feels great at the store, but quickly goes south.

dv1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by dv1 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:33 am

I got my brand new ss700 today. It does have more resistance when reeling than my other spinning reels. The shorter handle does feel a little different. Spool wobble does not seem to be any different than a lot of current reels. Might be less noticeable because when you crank the handle to spin it, it slows and stops more quickly.

I probably will not get a chance to use it on the water until next year though.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:57 am

dv1 wrote:I got my brand new ss700 today. It does have more resistance when reeling than my other spinning reels. The shorter handle does feel a little different. Spool wobble does not seem to be any different than a lot of current reels. Might be less noticeable because when you crank the handle to spin it, it slows and stops more quickly.

I probably will not get a chance to use it on the water until next year though.
Welcome to the club :big grin:

The resistance you feel may be the internals haven't worked themselves together just yet, or as simple as too much grease (a common occurrence in new reels). On that note, my 1300 had a somewhat sticky mainshaft bearing new from the box. Since I was going to upgrade the worm shaft bushing to a bearing, I went ahead and replaced the mainshaft bearing while I was in there. Been fine ever since.

As far as the whole wobble debate goes, I liken that to those who judge a casting reel's spool bearing quality by releasing the clutch, backing off the brakes, then spinning the spool against a stopwatch to get the most spin time. It's a neat parlor trick, but does that translate into actual real world applications ? I agree you can get the SS to slightly wobble at maximum speed, but how many spinning applications require you to do that ?

Good luck with it.

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smead » Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:44 am

Crank it for awhile while you're watching TV...who knows how long it's been since it was made and shipped over here. It will need to break in...the gears are cut, not die cast; the oscillation slider rides on a shaft and etc.; that all has to wear in.

My new Thailand SS700 feels better than a brand new Fuego SH2000. I've had them both dis-assembled and both are properly lubed.