Daiwa Tournament SS Reel

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Daiwa Tournament SS Reel

Post by Tim Kelly » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:36 am

I have an ss1600 which is a great reel in many ways, but I think the handle needs to be longer. As the reel is older technology I am so used to the relatively low start up resistance when I start turning the handle on modern reels that the 1600 seems stiff to turn. A longer handle (lever) would reduce this feeling. Also the plastic T bat paddle is roughly cast and I had to file the seams flat to make it usable. A longer handle with a better paddle would see the reel back in the first draft. Been to some fun places and caught some fun fish for me, but it's semi retired at the moment, which is a shame.

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smead » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:21 am

Well, it may be worthwhile to try a better handle and see if it fits.

4.5mm for the size of the hex shaft seems a standard of sorts, as is the thread size on the shft hole. I got a Quantum PTiC 10 sized reel handle to fit my SS700.

I wonder if a handle off of one of the larger Daiwa reel's with a paddle handle would fit??

The issue is that given that many Daiwa reels have locomotion oscillation, the gears are longer going from the left to the right side of the reel, with a correspondingly longer handle shaft. The SS main gears are "shorter" due to using worm gear oscillation.

Stock, on all reels the handle is a bit short of the end of the gear so that a little plastic insert collar can be used. I can make it work on the SS1300 with the Fuego 2000 handle; other handles might have to have the shaft chopped a bit. The Fuego handle would fit on my SS700, for example, if I removed 4.5mm from the end. The thread on the hex shaft is deep enough to allow that, might have to shorten the screw a bit too, if needed. I have a dremel, so any needed modification is easily done.

Daiwa used a worm gear on the Fuego and Fuego A reels...and most likely some other reels in the past; those handles might be a perfect shaft length for SS reels.

Also, on a SS1600, it is possible that a current Daiwa handle would fit without modification; the 1600 has two side plates with a central frame...it thus should be wider than a 1300 size reel.

The only other issues are that the new handle doesn't hit the bail during travel and that the base of the handle assembly meets the side of the reel properly. You could check that before any modification was committed to though.

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tim Kelly » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:08 pm

Thank you. I'll have a play in the garage later today and see what can be made to fit.

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smead » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:18 pm

You're most welcome!

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:38 am

Budget/redneck tech handle upgrade. A Reel Grip fits the handle paddle well on both the 700 and 1300.

A single wrap of the splicing tape (referenced on page 1 of this thread) on the paddle before installing the grip works wonders to anchor the grip.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:10 am

I have one coming in the mail... \:D/

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smead » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:15 am

Just stumbled across this:

Daiwa Tournament SS 600 Reel!!

Seems to have a shallow spool for very light line. Found a schematic and there are some slight hardware differences from a SS700, but essentially the same.

Line #1.5/150 Yards and 2#/100yards

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:14 am

Where does one source that spool?

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smead » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:37 am

I think that it must be hard to get...the reel itself seems pretty rare. I've never seem the spool offered anywhere. It may have rarely been sold outside of Japan. The reel was discontinued at some point in the past I guess.

The only complete reel up now is listed as being in Japan.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:52 am

Smead wrote:I think that it must be hard to get...the reel itself seems pretty rare. I've never seem the spool offered anywhere. It may have rarely been sold outside of Japan. The reel was discontinued at some point in the past I guess.

The only complete reel up now is listed as being in Japan.
This one sold for $95 back in July ... not a bad price at all, it looked to be in very good condition.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Daiwa-Whisker-T ... 7675.l2557

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smead » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:58 am

There's one up currently...has seen wear, probably asking too much...shipping cost is rugged.

Check your PM's.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:21 pm

I found this cool and informative article:
http://www.fishingkaki.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=143647

I got my reel (second hand) today! :) Is it normal for the reel to have a slight loose ticking sound from the spool area, when the handle is turned?

Initial impressions:
This thing is lite!
I love how the bail wire is engaged, its a design that cannot and will not fail.
I love the looks, matte black and unassuming.
This reel is pretty dang smooth.

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smead » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:56 pm

That tick could be from the spring on the pawl style A/R. It lightly will click once when you start cranking. If you turn off the A/R and slowly go forward, then back, with the handle you should here it click once each time you change direction too.

Otherwise, there's not much to cause clicking in the rotor itself, due to not having internal trip parts.

However, anything is possible with a used reel...is yours new or used?

I have found all kinds of crazy things when I take reels apart, parts missing, put in backwards, or in the wrong sequence.

Even in new reels, lube can be sparse, or improperly placed.

If the reel is used, the Kaki articles show which shims usually get lost.

If new, careful when you get to the screw holding the axle to the oscillation cam. I just took apart a brand new one, made in Thailand, which had Loktite on the screw.

T was able to get it loose by using a perfectly sized screwdriver; first I slightly tightened the screw, then unscrewed it...have a firm grip and go slow.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:00 pm

Smead wrote:That tick could be from the spring on the pawl style A/R. It lightly will click once when you start cranking. If you turn off the A/R and slowly go forward, then back, with the handle you should here it click once each time you change direction too.

Otherwise, there's not much to cause clicking in the rotor itself, due to not having internal trip parts.

However, anything is possible with a used reel...is yours new or used?

I have found all kinds of crazy things when I take reels apart, parts missing, put in backwards, or in the wrong sequence.

Even in new reels, lube can be sparse, or improperly placed.

If the reel is used, the Kaki articles show which shims usually get lost.

If new, careful when you get to the screw holding the axle to the oscillation cam. I just took apart a brand new one, made in Thailand, which had Loktite on the screw.

T was able to get it loose by using a perfectly sized screwdriver; first I slightly tightened the screw, then unscrewed it...have a firm grip and go slow.
Thanks for the info. The reel is used and made in Japan. And yes the light clicking sound happens when I turn off the anti reverse and reel either direction.

I can also replicate the light tick when I shake the reel, while holding also external moving parts firmly. Is this normal as well? Just wanted to make sure before I fish with it, would hate to accidentally damage something in the reel.

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smead » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:15 pm

If you take it apart, you'll see why you get that noise; just the way the A/R pawl and ratchet mechanism is designed.