Daiwa Tournament SS Reel

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Daiwa Tournament SS Reel

Post by Smead » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:35 pm

Here's where you get that clicking noise from.

The pawl is loose and rocks back and forth...note that small wire extending up from the ratchet to the pawl.

Whatever direction you crank, there will be a click as these parts move a bit.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:37 pm

Smead wrote:Here's where you get that clicking noise from.

The pawl is loose and rocks back and forth...note that small wire extending up from the ratchet to the pawl.

Whatever direction you crank, there will be a click as these parts move a bit.

Got it, thanks!

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smead » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:37 pm

You're Welcome!

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smead » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:06 pm

In the meantime, I did get my hands on a Made in Thailand SS700; sold as new other with box.

Tearing it apart, not much difference; main gear is black oxide coated. Axle screw had loktite on it.

Two open bearings more modern style than the Japan built models, one shielded bearing. All bearings encountered seemed fine.

Seems like I finally ran into some original drag washers; the previous reels all seemed to have carbon replacements. OEM is felt with titanium added somehow...already ordered some Smoothdrag replacements.

BTW...replacing the worm shaft bushing with a 3x6x2.5 bearing is very simple.

Also, if you have a grease syringe, you can remove the rear cap and apply grease to the worm shaft and the main gear. Anything put on the main gear will get to the pinion and worm shaft gears. You might want to apply grease on the main gear in a few spots, just turn the handle a bit each time.

For those who haven't used them, these 1 ml syringes are ideal for point application of grease and oil...got mine on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NDE ... UJCOAVH826

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:44 pm

I just took this reel apart, gave it a good cleaning and new grease. Easy as can be. I found this article to be pretty helpful.
http://forums.imhooked.com/index.php?to ... #msg128505

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smead » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:59 pm

I actually received a SS1600 yesterday...a cheap part reel that someone took apart and gave up on...was fooling with it last night and got it back together and working. It's actually a bit easier to work on than a 1300 or 700.

The most important part on these reels seems to be that small washer on the worm gear shaft in front of the rear bushing...it seems to easily get lost if the reel is taken apart.

timsford
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timsford » Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:56 pm

If anyone finds any handles, preferably something that can use daiwa corks or shimano septons, please post what you have found. I don't have anything laying around to test fit and I don't want to start ordering stuff with no idea if it will work. I use reel grips now but I would prefer a better knob without having to buy that 70 dollar handle on eBay and also a cork knob

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smead » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:23 am

I was able to adapt a Daiwa Legalis LGL1500SH/2000SH handle to an SS1300, (The handle is the same size for both those size Legalis reels.). Unfortunately, the knob isn't as soft as septon or cork...but softer than the original.

http://www.daiwa.com/reel/detail.aspx?id=744

Chopped 4mm off the end of the handle hex shaft, used the shorter plastic insert from the Legalis and the screw from the SS1300.

Doing this on a SS700 would require more length cut off the replacement shaft

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:46 am

Smead wrote:I was able to adapt a Daiwa Legalis LGL1500SH/2000SH handle to an SS1300, (The handle is the same size for both those size Legalis reels.). Unfortunately, the knob isn't as soft as septon or cork...but softer than the original.

http://www.daiwa.com/reel/detail.aspx?id=744

Chopped 4mm off the end of the handle hex shaft, used the shorter plastic insert from the Legalis and the screw from the SS1300.

Doing this on a SS700 would require more length cut off the replacement shaft
Not bad, how much does that handle + parts cost?

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smead » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:58 am

You can buy the whole reel for around 50 bucks...it's the updated black & gold Legalis, so individual parts are still scarce. I don't know what the individual handle goes for. I just needed to buy the reel anyway to get repair parts for another reel. That was actually easier than ordering the parts I needed, I got an extra spool and this handle to experiment with.

However, it seems that any 1500/2000 sized handle with a hex shaft should work, with the shortening as noted. You could look on EB for something cheap...perhaps a trashed used reel; just depends whether you like the knob.

I still believe that a handle from a Daiwa reel with worm oscillation might work without chopping...as long as the handle wasn't a screw in type.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:36 am

Well done on the handle mod ... =D>

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smead » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:41 am

Thank You!

Further research seems to show that Shimano's are out...all seem to have a square shaft instead of hex.

Quantum PTi handles can be made to work...decent knob too, but you don't see a lot of handles listed cheap.

Inexpensive Daiwa reels seen to have crappy handles.

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smead » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:42 am

More Experimentation.

Quantum PTi10 size handle on a SS1300...No cutting of the handle hex shaft required, you do have to shorten the plastic collar a bit on the screw end.

Though to fit on a SS 700, you'd have to cut it like the Legalis handle for the SS1300.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:10 pm

Smead wrote:More Experimentation.

Quantum PTi10 size handle on a SS1300...No cutting of the handle hex shaft required, you do have to shorten the plastic collar a bit on the screw end.

Though to fit on a SS 700, you'd have to cut it like the Legalis handle for the SS1300.

I like this one even better, how steady is the reel when you wind it? I wonder whether or not the extended handle affects the balance of the reel?

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smead » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:07 pm

It's easier too since that handle doesn't have to be shortened for the SS1300; I'd like to find a handle that would be the same with the SS700...maybe a 05 size Quantum PTi.

It's as solid as the original handle set up is.

Not any difference that I can tell, probably due to the small weight difference and being close to the center mass of the reel.