St. Croix legend elite vs G. Loomis Trout Series

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
noonan
Angler
Angler

St. Croix legend elite vs G. Loomis Trout Series

Post by noonan » Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:16 am

I am getting back into the ultralight game and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on which one would be better for stream fishing? The last ultralight rod I used was a St. Croix 5' Premier. I imagine that the technology has advanced a lot in the last 15 years.

Thank You

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: St. Croix legend elite vs G. Loomis Trout Series

Post by Smead » Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:39 am

I've only been able to afford the Avid rods...not sure if anyone here is using an LE for UL...they only seem to have (2) light rods listed in that line currentky. A number of people seem to have experience with the GL Trout rods though.

They may post shortly...will look to see if there are any older threads concerning the issue.

ST Croix now has the Trout Series and Panfish Series...Made in Mexico:

http://stcroixrods.com/products/freshwa ... ut-series/

http://stcroixrods.com/products/freshwa ... sh-series/

they still have the Premier Line...but I do like the Avid rods.

http://stcroixrods.com/products/freshwa ... -spinning/

There are some other rods that some people think highly of...like the Fenwick Elite Tech River Runner.

http://www.fenwickfishing.com/fenwick-f ... ml#start=1

Some people here know quite a bit about JDM UL rods as well.

noonan
Angler
Angler

Post by noonan » Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:21 pm

I did some searching, since I'm new I may have a learning curve though. I treated myself to a small Shimano Stella 2000, I'm not getting younger. I saw they had a deal on the older legends, up to thirty percent off, so I was leaning in that direction.

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smead » Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:25 pm

I always forget to check their bargain page! :D

noonan
Angler
Angler

Post by noonan » Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:24 am

I wouldn't have even known about it if it wasn't for a thread in another section of this forum.

noonan
Angler
Angler

Post by noonan » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:31 am

I decided upon a 6' Legend Elite. It should be here tomorrow. I can't wait to try it out on the weekend.

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smead » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:49 am

Glad to hear...nice discount!! Sort of surprising that the new LE's no longer have any UL rods...so a great find!

noonan
Angler
Angler

Post by noonan » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:47 pm

That was one of the reasons that I got it. I wonder if there was just no market for the higher end rods, or maybe they are coming out with an ultralight series.

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smead » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:11 am

St Croix did come out with their trout and pan fish series rods rather recently, which are far less expensive; but are made in Mexico. They still have some UL rods in the Avid line.

Hard to figure, maybe they feel that at the LE pricepoint and above buyers are more likely to go JDM. Loomis or other high end niche makers for UL??

Could be the American industry view that UL is for kids, sissies and those crazy Japanese. :D

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:49 am

Smead wrote:Could be the American industry view that UL is for kids, sissies and those crazy Japanese. :D
I don't think it's so much the industry, it's the consumer. This is the land of go big or go home. UL will always be on the fringe here until a BASS tournament is won on a "sissy stick" with 4 lb test, then all of the bubbas will be killing each other at BPS, Academy and Cabela's trying to get their hands on one.

dv1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by dv1 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:58 am

I picked up one of the Legend Elite Light power rods (70lf2). I have been searching for the perfect light action rod for awhile. I always liked the high end st. croix light power rods and could not find something quite like it. I did not want to spend that much money. The River Runner light power rod came closest. Of course by the time I tried a fenwick HMG, Daiwa, and a River Runner, I could have just bought the Legend Elite to start with. The River Runner is definitely a keeper though too.

For true ultra lights, I have the 2 piece avid 7' 2 piece rod. And I have a sj6400 imx I extended to 6', but I still need to put guides on it. Project fell by the wayside a few years ago.

jamesdta
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jamesdta » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:11 am

dv1 wrote:I picked up one of the Legend Elite Light power rods (70lf2). I have been searching for the perfect light action rod for awhile. I always liked the high end st. croix light power rods and could not find something quite like it. I did not want to spend that much money. The River Runner light power rod came closest. Of course by the time I tried a fenwick HMG, Daiwa, and a River Runner, I could have just bought the Legend Elite to start with. The River Runner is definitely a keeper though too.

For true ultra lights, I have the 2 piece avid 7' 2 piece rod. And I have a sj6400 imx I extended to 6', but I still need to put guides on it. Project fell by the wayside a few years ago.

Funny I just ordered this rod an hour ago.

What reel do you plan on using with it ?

I'm hoping it will balance well with 7 oz reel

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smead » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:27 am

Bass tournaments have always struck me as the result of a slick operator combining elements of trophy fishing and NASCAR. :D

Also, UL people are often willing to pay a good chunk for high end rods, to include custom...hard to crack into that market; given that the demographic isn't huge any margin might be too slim for the investment.

noonan
Angler
Angler

Post by noonan » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:22 am

It should be here this afternoon, I tried to see how to post pictures, but the link is dead. Can anyone help out?

dv1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by dv1 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:02 am

jamesdta wrote:
dv1 wrote:I picked up one of the Legend Elite Light power rods (70lf2). I have been searching for the perfect light action rod for awhile. I always liked the high end st. croix light power rods and could not find something quite like it. I did not want to spend that much money. The River Runner light power rod came closest. Of course by the time I tried a fenwick HMG, Daiwa, and a River Runner, I could have just bought the Legend Elite to start with. The River Runner is definitely a keeper though too.

Funny I just ordered this rod an hour ago.

What reel do you plan on using with it ?

I'm hoping it will balance well with 7 oz reel
I am not sure yet. I ordered a ss700 given what I have read here and I also have some 1500 sized spinning reel (Stradic, maybe a Cabelas prodigy/diawa one too). Undecided right now.