Rod for light (1/64th ounce) jigs

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Brad in Texas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Rod for light (1/64th ounce) jigs

Post by Brad in Texas » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:01 am

Jrob mentioned buying some gear and tackle from

http://www.finesse-fishing.com

and Chris (there) shows a Daiwa Presso that I think someone mentioned in a post here.

It shows to be rated for 1/64 to 1/8.

Exxpensive . . . but lovely and functional.

Here:

http://www.finesse-fishing.com/finesse- ... -rods.html

Brad

PS. I ordered some of his hooks and I'll report back my results. br

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:42 am

I own quite a few rods rated on low end as follows....1/250......1/100.....1/64. There are a lot of JDM rods that are rated to cast 1/64 and even lower. The Tict Ice Cube Rockin Drift can cast a 1/64 Trout Magnet quite well....it can also cast a 1/8 at the top end. I have a Volkey that is rated for 1/64-1/4...that is quite remarkable if you ask me. Nearly all of my fishing is with a 1/64 ounce Trout Magnet. That is the reason I got into buying JDM gear. After breaking my FineTail Banshee I took the Tict Ice Cube out and used a 1/64 ounce Trout Magnet and caught over 100 crappie with it. The sensitivity is off the charts. The whole top section is all solid.....a 6' 9" rod at a weight of only 2.4 ounces. This whole thing about rods having to be whippy to load up and cast very light jigs does not apply to the Japanese. When I took my first Ajing rod out of the shipping tube I thought "What in the world have I done". It was so rigid I thought no way it could cast a 1/64 ounce jig...I was wrong. If you want to cast a 1/64 ounce jig.....and you go the JDM route, I would say you have a huge selection of rods to pick from. I have looked at dozens I have not bought....I have bought I guess now over 20, and have not been disappointed in any of them. Getting ready buy another one from a forum member. I am in mid 60's and my plan is to try out several dozen more JDM UL rods before I have to give up fishing some day.

Regards

timinmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timinmo » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:43 am

Well I obtained a 1/64 oz jig and attempted to throw it on my Loomis SJ 6400 IMX. I was only getting about 15 feet or so. This was with 4 lb line on a first gen. Stradic Ci4 1000. Sorry but I did not want to throw away a spool of line just to spool on some 2 lb that I would not use. 2 lb might have added some distance but the rod would still struggle with 1/64. It is just too light to load the rod.

The rod is actually a custom on a Loomis blank when they still sold blanks, which was several years ago. I also have one built on a NFC blank with the same rating, which I am not sure they sell anymore, still 5'4" but built with micro guides. I tried the same reel/line set up on that rod. It seemed to throw 1/64 a bit further but not much.

I guess the end result of the test was that if you want to throw 1/64 you will need to find a different rod. Both of these rods will launch 1/16 and work OK with 1/32 but 1/64 is too light.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:00 am

If money is no object, JDM is the way to fly. Especially if fishing without a warranty doesn't bother you.
Evergreen International

gillchaser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by gillchaser » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:24 am

timinmo wrote:Well I obtained a 1/64 oz jig and attempted to throw it on my Loomis SJ 6400 IMX. I was only getting about 15 feet or so. This was with 4 lb line on a first gen. Stradic Ci4 1000. Sorry but I did not want to throw away a spool of line just to spool on some 2 lb that I would not use. 2 lb might have added some distance but the rod would still struggle with 1/64. It is just too light to load the rod.

The rod is actually a custom on a Loomis blank when they still sold blanks, which was several years ago. I also have one built on a NFC blank with the same rating, which I am not sure they sell anymore, still 5'4" but built with micro guides. I tried the same reel/line set up on that rod. It seemed to throw 1/64 a bit further but not much.

I guess the end result of the test was that if you want to throw 1/64 you will need to find a different rod. Both of these rods will launch 1/16 and work OK with 1/32 but 1/64 is too light.
My finding exactly . A 1/64th with soft plastic, no problem especially with two pound line . But a feather or fur 1/64 is almost impossible to cast farther than 20 feet on a good day with any rod I've tried. Gillchaser

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smead » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:47 am

Brad in Texas wrote:Jrob mentioned buying some gear and tackle from

http://www.finesse-fishing.com

and Chris (there) shows a Daiwa Presso that I think someone mentioned in a post here.

It shows to be rated for 1/64 to 1/8.

Exxpensive . . . but lovely and functional.

Here:

http://www.finesse-fishing.com/finesse- ... -rods.html

Brad

PS. I ordered some of his hooks and I'll report back my results. br
I really did not need to see that Daiwa Iprimi 60XUL-4.... :D

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smead » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:50 am

My finding exactly . A 1/64th with soft plastic, no problem especially with two pound line . But a feather or fur 1/64 is almost impossible to cast farther than 20 feet on a good day with any rod I've tried. Gillchaser
The impact of just a bit more air resistance can be dramatic.

Try casting a Rapala Countdown CD-1 compared to a Rapala Floater F-3...they both weigh 1/16 oz...the CD-1 has a smaller profile.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:26 am

Smead wrote:
The impact of just a bit more air resistance can be dramatic.

Try casting a Rapala Countdown CD-1 compared to a Rapala Floater F-3...they both weigh 1/16 oz...the CD-1 has a smaller profile.
Does the CD have an internal weight of some sort ? I know I get a pretty good distance from my CD-1.

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smead » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:07 am

I assume that it does, it's supposed to sink at that 1' per second rate; still, it weighs the same as the floater...it's just smaller, with less air resistance.

Brad in Texas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Brad in Texas » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:51 am

I am SOLD on finesse-fishing.com's little .7 gram (1/40th ozs.) jig heads built on a #8 hook, this one with the two tie options: one at the nose, the other mid lead. So often, things built this tiny being molded or stamped have rough edges if you look at it closely. Not these . . . top quality.

I have caught several species now using a little black grub with concentric rings, a twisty chartreuse tail that gives it nice action through the water. Bluegills seem to like it lifted and dropped repeatedly while it is reeled in; bass seem to prefer a straight slow reel in.

The very tiny .001" diameter Nanobraid is incredibly light, incredibly strong. I wish I had a scale capable of weighing the jighead and the plastic.

Casting distance on a 6'9" St. Croix ultralight fast tip, PFS69ULF, with a Shimano Ci4+ 1000 series reel? In dead air, usually 75 to 90 feet using a strong but modest effort, no Tarzan swing.

Photo

Brad

JB in SC
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by JB in SC » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:38 am

Alphahawk wrote:I own quite a few rods rated on low end as follows....1/250......1/100.....1/64. There are a lot of JDM rods that are rated to cast 1/64 and even lower. The Tict Ice Cube Rockin Drift can cast a 1/64 Trout Magnet quite well....it can also cast a 1/8 at the top end. I have a Volkey that is rated for 1/64-1/4...that is quite remarkable if you ask me. Nearly all of my fishing is with a 1/64 ounce Trout Magnet. That is the reason I got into buying JDM gear. After breaking my FineTail Banshee I took the Tict Ice Cube out and used a 1/64 ounce Trout Magnet and caught over 100 crappie with it. The sensitivity is off the charts. The whole top section is all solid.....a 6' 9" rod at a weight of only 2.4 ounces. This whole thing about rods having to be whippy to load up and cast very light jigs does not apply to the Japanese. When I took my first Ajing rod out of the shipping tube I thought "What in the world have I done". It was so rigid I thought no way it could cast a 1/64 ounce jig...I was wrong. If you want to cast a 1/64 ounce jig.....and you go the JDM route, I would say you have a huge selection of rods to pick from. I have looked at dozens I have not bought....I have bought I guess now over 20, and have not been disappointed in any of them. Getting ready buy another one from a forum member. I am in mid 60's and my plan is to try out several dozen more JDM UL rods before I have to give up fishing some day.

Regards
Nothing prepared me for the difference in the Presso 1025 and AGS 54 XUL-S and the USDM offerings....
Last edited by JB in SC on Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bryin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bryin » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:24 pm

A rod that can truly throw 1/64th will never be a "fast" rod... it has to flex to throw the lure and it you are going to have to use light line which will require flex in the rod to protect the line.

gillchaser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by gillchaser » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:02 pm

Bryin wrote:A rod that can truly throw 1/64th will never be a "fast" rod... it has to flex to throw the lure and it you are going to have to use light line which will require flex in the rod to protect the line.
I think we have a winner .
I feel the rod can't be too long or it'll be too much of a noodle and rod recovery will slow the line speed . I found my five foot moderate UL's with two pound line to be the best at casting the lightest of lures and maintain accuracy. Gillchaser
Last edited by gillchaser on Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bryin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bryin » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:19 pm

I have found that most rods below 6 foot are either too slow to too fast... I think it is hard to manufacturer a rod that has a nice action below 6 foot... it can be done but it is rare.

One of the most ignored parts of the rod when it comes to casting very light lures is guide selection. As much as I love my collection of solid tip, JDM Ajing rods they all have micro guides and if you use a braid/mono combo with a knot small guides and the braid knot hurt casting distance with a very light lure.

The best rod I have for casting light jigs, one that will really throw the lightest jigs I use (and I tie my own jigs that are essentially flies, so no plastics to add weight... when you add plastics to a jig it really adds weight and helps casting distance, try throwing a bare 1/64th oz jig head sometime it is enlightening) is a Diawa Area Bum 5'6"XUL-S. It is a JDM rod with a solid but the guides are a bit bigger than normal on a solid tip rod.