Broke-in my new Custom UL Rod

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
gillchaser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Broke-in my new Custom UL Rod

Post by gillchaser » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:53 am

I took my new custom rod out for a test today . Paired with a Daiwa Legalis 1500 reel and 4# P-Line . I had just tied on a 1/32 jig with a 3" Stick-O worm in PBJ , rigged wacky style . My second cast I felt a thump and set the hook . This is my largest so far this year . I estimate around 3-3 1/2 lbs.
The rod is 5"4" fast action UL power . I could feel it bending into the grip .
Gillchaser

JB in SC
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Broke-in my new Custom UL Rod

Post by JB in SC » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:13 am

Nice catch and rig....

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smead » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:01 pm

Nice catch, great that the custom rod did so well.

The Legalis is a very decent reel too. Would be nice if they made a 1000 size too in that model line though.

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:29 pm

Nice catch....congrats on your new rod.

Regards

gillchaser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by gillchaser » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:58 am

Smead wrote:Nice catch, great that the custom rod did so well.

The Legalis is a very decent reel too. Would be nice if they made a 1000 size too in that model line though.
Thanks , I've in my LM fishing state of mind as of late . I seem to go through phases where I'll concentrate on panfish and then I get green fish on the mind . I guess it's the greater size possibility along with the bigger fight .

The Legalis was/is an experiment . I've decided to try a larger size reel on my UL rods . The Legalis weighs just about two ounces more than the 500 size reels I've been using . The heavier reel balances most of my six foot and shorter rods to the point where the extra weight isn't felt that much . With the lighter reels , even the five foot rods feel a little front heavy .
I'm liking the longer handle too . And the Daiwa reels don't pinch my knuckles. They're smooth winding and seem to have a better drag than a Pflueger.
All these years I've been thinking as light as possible for the combo would extend my fishing , maybe a more balanced combo is what I need . We'll see .
I ordered and today received one of the new Fuegos 2000 . It's size seems to be the same as the 1500 Legalis . Close to the same weight . Very smooth , right out of the box . It'll get a try this afternoon if the weather clears up and the wind doesn't get crazy . Otherwise, it be the first of the week before it gets a try . I spooled it up with some Silverthread 4# Excalibur and it'll replace the Legalis on the new rod for now . Gillchaser

" No , I don't have a tackle buying problem . I can quit anytime I want " :)

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smead » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:16 am

Regarding Daiwa freshwater size reels, I noticed that he only difference between 1500 and 2000 size reels seems to be the spool size. Daiwa seems to do that for the 2500 and 3000 size reels too, with the 4000 reels having a larger frame and different parts.

Many parts are shared among the Legalis, Exceler, Lexa, and Fuego reel model lines too, For example, you can use your 1500 size spool on the Fuego...but also much hardware is shared and, to a degree, drive parts.

The Fuego will be smoother...it has the Daiwa version of "X-ship", the pinion is supported at the rear by a bearing and there are additional bearings elsewhere.

Both Shimano and Daiwa seem to be getting rid of small reels. Shimano 1000 size reels seem to be getting as large as Daiwa 1500/2000 reels and their ergonomics sort of stink, "compact body" also means you are losing oscillation assembly support; they are in my opinion losing out to Daiwa.

Small stuff remaining is that AX-UL-SA for Shimano and Daiwa has their D-Spins and the Laguna line with 500/1000 size reels. Again, the only difference between a Daiwa 500 and 1000 is what spool is on it. But even the cheap D-Spin has a decent drag. I ordered a 500 size Laguna to check out, it's enroute.

This all concerns USDM , you can still order a JDM 1003/1025 or size reel...USDM only has the Exist in 1025, but then you are also stuck with all the "Mag-Seal" issues and no warranty.

gillchaser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by gillchaser » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:25 am

IMO , the smaller Daiwa reels are not engineered or built as good as the larger reels . They work , but they just feel cheap . Even the newest 2000 Crossfire feels like a sturdier and better built reel.
The newest Shimano Sahara 1000 I returned was bigger than the 1500/2000 Daiwas except for the Crossfire, whose rotor makes it look larger . Side by side the bodies of the Lagalis , Fuego, and Crossfire look the same . The bails are all different as are the rotors .
The handles on all three Daiwas look better than what Shimano is sticking on their under $100 reels . Shimano is going to get beat out by the new Daiwas .
One of thing , the Crossfire @ $29 has 3 ss bb's and one roller bearing , the newest Shimano Sienna @$29 has only one SS bearing and a roller bearing . A big difference IMO . Gillchaser

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smead » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:15 am

Yes, using the Symetre FJ and Sahara/Sedona/Sienna FD reels as a quality baseline, all of which were under $100; the current crop looks disappointing. Shimano also has done away with line roller bearings. You get X-ship in the Nasci, which has replaced the Symetre, and a cheap looking rear pinion bushing in the rest.

Nice to have a Legalis in 500/1000 size though, with the aluminum frame and cover, with the air rotor.

Daiwa plastic does seem sub par to Shimano's; having the metal reels are cool, with more costly Daiwa reels you get Zaion.

gillchaser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by gillchaser » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:17 am

I got to fish the Daiwa Fuego 2000 today for about an hour and a half . I'm impressed with it . Very smooth and I love the handle . I wasn't sure if I would even like it . I've always used my left hand index finger to retrieve lure . Just developed over the years and now my first two fingers and knuckles are easily irritated with Arthritus in them . I've worned them out I guess . Anyway , this is the first handle that didn't feel awkward for me to slow retrieve using the knob on the handle . A fast retrieve didn't matter , it was just when I was bringing some in with a slow steady retrieve.
Going to give it a better workout tomorrow if my plan goes through . Gillchaser

gillchaser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by gillchaser » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:32 am

Today I switched the 1500 Daiwa Lagalis to my 5' St. Croix Premier UL rod . Loaded up with 4# Hi-Vis P-Line , I was throwing shortened Slider grubs on a 1/32nd bullet head jig .
It stole the show today . No monsters were caught but in four hours I caught 17 LM bass, 14 bluegills, and 3 Crappie . Most were caught on the Lagalis/Premeir combo . I couldn't believe the casts I was getting . It made one sweet outfit . No more having to almost injure my arm trying to get enough distance .
I liked the combo so much , I respooled my Daiwa Fuego 2000 with 4# P-line and mounted it on my 5' SC Avid . Can't wait to give a try . They should be very similiar. Gillchaser

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smead » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:57 am

I have that same length rod in an Avid and was wondering if the 1500 would overpower it...appears not; that's quite a take for just a couple hours. :D

Trying the 1500 on all my other rods, it seems very doable...that would be 6'-7' 6"...and my travel rods. The 5' rod has St Croix's smallest handle and the 1500 did look big on it; but the balance was acceptable.

Also nice to hear that it cast so well for you!

gillchaser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by gillchaser » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:23 am

Thanks , I've been trying upload a picture of one of the nicer gills and finally got it to work . Most of the LM's were between 10-13" , fun size on a moderate action UL .
I like the balance of the 1500 on the five footers . I actually can't feel the extra weight of the 1500 over a 500 . Shimano may have done me a favor . Gillchaser

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smead » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:10 am

I have to agree. Nice development, given that the only other option was to hunt down out of production reels.

Great versatility too...with just one reel and (1) 1500 & (2) 2000 sized spools, you can load #4/#6/#8 test line and cover ultralight, light and medium light with the same reel. Maybe more like light medium, since you get a drag stack with a 2500 size reel.

Also there's this since you mentioned greater casting.

I may have under filled my spool, there's an inscribed line on the spool lip that you are supposed to go right up to, though it makes the the spool look overfilled. Was reading about it last night on SOL.com in a thread about the new Black Golds.

Believe it or not, there is a 1500 size in the new Black Gold model line...weight is only 8.5 oz. Wound be like using a Tiger tank against crappie, but still. :D

Someone mentioned them here earlier, really thought that they meant UL inshore; but the smaller sizes do indeed seem meant for FW.

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smead » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:36 am

Here is that BG 1500...note #4 capacity... :D

http://www.daiwa.com/us/contents/reels/ ... index.html

gillchaser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by gillchaser » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:54 am

I knew about the spool difference . I think it does help with casting . One thing to watch for , especially when windy, is to make sure the line is tight before retrieving. I close the bail manually, but the wind will blow a loop in your line and you'll wind up with a mess on that next cast.
That 1500 BG is a nice looking reel . I remember the old BG's , they were built like tanks .
The Lexa comes in a 1500 but in Daiwa's specs it says it's 9.2 oz's . That's got to be a typo .
If the spools are the only difference between a 1500 and a 2000 , I don't see why they don't offer more 1500 models .
I'd like to see a 1500 Crossfire . The newer one . I have a 2000 and for $30 it's a nice reel . Beats the pants off the Shimano Sienna in the same price range . Gillchaser