Berkley C- Series (Crappie rods) for American Shad

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Berkley C- Series (Crappie rods) for American Shad

Post by Big-Bass » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:07 pm

I need a longer noodle style rod for shad fishing in the Delaware throwing flutter spoons and shad darts from shore. Would the 10' version of this rod be suitable using 6 and 8lb. test line for this style of fishing? Looking for long casts on light line and a softer tip to protect against the papery mouths of the shad. That's why I figured a rod designed for crappie would be good for shad. Any thoughts? Thanks for any/all suggestions. Best wishes on the water!

gillchaser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Berkley C- Series (Crappie rods) for American Shad

Post by gillchaser » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:11 pm

I'm not familiar with the Berkley C rods . But I own a 9' St Croix Triumph Light Steelhead Rod I bet would work for you . They also make a 10' UL version that's a moderate action .
I bought the 9' to fish for bluegills from shore throwing 1/80th jigs with a weighted float . Thinking the farther I could cast , the more water I woul be covering . I fish ponds that have limited access . The Rod is rated for 4# test on the low end so the tip is fairly light , although I'd think the 10' UL version would be even lighter . I'd like to try the 10 footer some day .
The biggest problem I see in the longer rods is getting them to balance . But if you're using 6-8# line you'd most lightly be using a 2500 size reel or larger . Good luck , it's always fun trying out new tackle . Gillchaser