(SUL) Super Ultra Light?

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: (SUL) Super Ultra Light?

Post by ss30378 » Fri May 10, 2019 8:53 am

The ASC has less capacity than the aldebaran bfs so if the aldebaran seems too bfs specific the ASC will also follow suite. The alphas ct will handle 3g so if that's as low as you plan on going it will be just fine.

Once bfs specific spools come out for the 30mm ct spool I believe they will be the new performance standard for bfs. The issue with the 30mm ct spool adapting is it's also much more narrow than the 31mm+ sized daiwa spools. Along with spacers the pinion gear is different and so is the palm side set plate the get everything centered then the levelwind worm gear is narrow span to adjust for the narrow spool width. It's possible to adapt but it will take a little bit of effort to do it.

Are you shore fishing? 138 meters, as in 450+ feet??? That's an insane distance and something that is more inline with what I'd see with a 10' shore fishing setup and a heavy spoon than normal bass gear. Realistic bfs (1-2g) casting is 25 yards or less with my reels and 6'-6'6" bfs rod. With my 1g lures I'm happy with 30-40 feet if accurate. Bfs reels don't even have the capacity to cast near that long unless you're spooling with spider's silk as a line...

If you are saltwater fishing then I'd go with the alphas series, I know shimano says the aldebaran is ok for salt but id still be hesitant. The conquest bfs would be a good option for salt though.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Fri May 10, 2019 10:00 am

I think line capacity in ASC is just fine for BFS. But I'm concidering that if I like to use BFS reel for heavier duty also, with another one spool if needed, it might be too heavy duty for Aldebaran.

Also I think so that Daiwa's 30 mm could be really good for BFS when someone has introduced BFS spool for it.

(Those distance casts were just for fun / nice to test. Fast rod rated up to 240 g. Casting weight optimum for reel / rod / me combo, which was 80 g or 90 g. I tried heavier weights but it made cast too slow (with this heavy rod). Thin 0.20 mm mono with very strong shock leader. Totally useless combo for fishing but just testing distance casting.

Casting as hard as I could. I was pretty sure this will lead to massive fail. But it worked. Fly times and distances was ridiculous.

Test field was 1 m deep bay. No wind. After cast I straightened line by tightening it with time to get additional line to reel. When I was thinking weight is came to loose from bottom and started moving, I attached line counter and took measurement. Not accurate but a way to take measurement.

But distance casting regardless of used technique is pretty far a way of BFS :) )

ss30378 wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 8:53 am
Realistic bfs (1-2g) casting is 25 yards or less with my reels and 6'-6'6" bfs rod. With my 1g lures I'm happy with 30-40 feet if accurate. Bfs reels don't even have the capacity to cast near that long unless you're spooling with spider's silk as a line...
Just like that. I use BFS for fishing small streams where more than 25 yards are useless. Yesterday maybe 90% of my casts with BFS setup were 40 feet or less. If I need distance with baitcasting reel with light lure I wish I have St.Croix Avid Salmon & Steelhead AVC96MLF2 near me. Because of is this rod working with used weight or not, it's long enough to get needed speed.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri May 10, 2019 2:39 pm

I use 4# Invizx on my ASC and it has plenty of capacity for UL baits, and that's using a 6'4" UL bass rod primarily for 1/16-1/8. If you wanted to use it with heavier line/lures you could always drop a Mag Z Pixy spool in it.
This is the way.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Mon May 13, 2019 7:33 am

I fished 2 evenings in a small stream with my BFS equipment. My friend managed to catch nice rainbow trout which was really nice sport fishing. Trout jumped wildly twice or three times.

Equipment:

I think it’s not a big surprise for anybody that a little difference in equipment can make a huge difference in result, which in this case is enjoying of fishing with light gear. I fished for a day with Ray’s original DIY loaded with relatively strong line (for BFS, which weights couple of grams). I have to say casting distance vs. Momo’s spool wasn’t actually so huge in my used weights 3 – 6 g. But it just didn’t feel right. Have to say I must struggle with this combo. 5 g is actually too much for this rod (with Ray’s spool I noticed that) because rod is not strong enough for power cast. And still there’s no power to start spool effortlessly. 4 g was quite a lot of same story. Rod didn’t overload that much but still there’s no enough energy to start spool effortlessly. Maybe I still should remove those lines and put weightless line to this spool and try again.

Formerly I found that very thin (0.06 mm Spiderwire) line is difficult to use (to make knots and so on) in the evening. That’s the line what I have used with Momo’s. This is great line for light bottom jigging in a sunshine. But not so great in evening at small streams. I decided to let weightless 0.06 mm line as backing and add 20 m of 0.12 mm Spiderwire for casting. That additive weight of new line weights something 1 g. Have to say, this 1 g additional weight has effect to what is castable and what isn't. But now it’s easily castable of 3 – 7 g, depending on air resistance of lure. (Little overweight to rod isn't that bad because Momo's has low inertia and it doesn't need that much speed than heavier spool and therefore heavier lures can be casted nicely.) My friend had issues with casting a small crankbait (that one which was approved by trout) and he asked me to try to cast it. It was really light and castability was poor. I maybe could cast it slightly longer than hi with his spool (Ray’s new honeycomb) and rod (Shimano Trout One). But it's sure that my cast wasn’t longer than 20 feet :D I would say castability of that lure was practically 0. (He said that crankbait was weighted as 1.5 grams.) But still hi managed to cast that enough and got trout.

Currently I’m very happy with this Teton SUL rod. It is more than equivalent of price that I paid. Actually one of the best fishing gear purchases recently by me.

But I really need to buy a Lefty BFS reel :D

Reel ordered. Alphas ct sv 70 SHL. Because it was ‘cheap’ enough and it is(?) strongly built. And I like that style knobs. And I really like to test that 30 mm spool. I’m really keen to see how that works in BFS with only that amount of line that is needed. And if it don’t work then I have to soon buy lighter spool. Which is not many options. Currently only one. But I consider original 70 spool is perfect for light fishing in sea.

Small Stream in Finland.JPG
Small Stream in Finland.JPG (65.49 KiB) Viewed 9253 times
Small Stream in Finland2.JPG
Small Stream in Finland2.JPG (45.06 KiB) Viewed 9253 times
Attached pictures taken in yesterday in small stream. Have to say, we wouldn’t fish place like that without BFS equipment. With BFS this was enjoyable fishing. With light fly rod would be also nice. But I haven’t built mine light Lamilglass.

Grip of rod wasn't made of as good grade material which is understandable because cork is expensive today. Actually it is very good solution for this kind of chinese made rod to make a rod of reasonable price to use cheap corks and use work hours to make it good looking. But I thought could I make feel of grip better. I applied U-40 cork sealer for it and after that i mildly sanded it. Color of grip changed slightly but now grip feel more comfortable.
SUL grip.jpg
SUL grip.jpg (18.18 KiB) Viewed 9256 times

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:49 pm

poisonokie wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 2:39 pm
I use 4# Invizx on my ASC and it has plenty of capacity for UL baits, and that's using a 6'4" UL bass rod primarily for 1/16-1/8. If you wanted to use it with heavier line/lures you could always drop a Mag Z Pixy spool in it.
I consider using 6# invizx on my ASC and similar BFS reels. What do you think? Do you spool the reel when casting 4#?

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:06 am

Dalleinf wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:49 pm
poisonokie wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 2:39 pm
I consider using 6# invizx on my ASC and similar BFS reels. What do you think? Do you spool the reel when casting 4#?
No. Not casting crappie jigheads, plastics like weightless roboworms, or spoons up to 3.5g at least.

I was spooling 6# with those spoons, which is why I went to 4#. I'm not fishing for trout in current, either. If I was, I'd go back to 6. I may go back to 6# anyway, just because I get the same distance when casting the tiny jigs and weightless plastics I typically use with it and get 50% stronger line. I'm always going for bass even if I'm fishing for crappie, and a big bass on 6# is scary enough.

The trade-off for that extra 10m or whatever it is that you get out of dropping to 4# becomes a major factor with lines this light. Sure, you can cast aerodynamic baits further and you have extra line for when a nice fish pulls a lot of drag, but you wouldn't need so much extra if you could set your drag higher in the first place. 50% is a lot and when you're hooked into a hard fighting 5lb bass it becomes a big advantage, especially if you typically fish from shore.

That spool plays really well with fluorocarbon provided you set it up with a little spool tension. None of that "loosen it until you feel a slight knock" business with the ASC. The lure should fall on its own, but not at 9.8m/s², which I think is good general practice with fixed inductor spools, anyway.
This is the way.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:38 am

Thank you for the detailed reply. I will try some 6# invizx and some 6# hi-seas 100% fc

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:08 am

I was thinking could GoPro1 be mounted to Teton SUL by Hama bicycle handlebar mount. Yes, it could. I protected cork by rubber not to crush. Balance of setup was quite interesting... And sun was set when I begun to test. And there was strong winds. So it happens... But I could test and video is artistic in my opinion. Reel sound is recorded decently because GoPro is mounted directly to rod.

That video was not that good and I deleted it. But in next message is link for better video.
Alkuruutu.JPG
GoPro BFS setup
Alkuruutu.JPG (27.23 KiB) Viewed 6093 times
Last edited by jvelth74 on Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:18 am

Short trip to flooding small steram after work. SUL is nice rod but attention is needed when casting forehand. But this is so soft and even 'shooting' can be performed with baitcaster.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... gZ5KzNNeU5

There's now added new video at first in playlist. It's edited video of both, head and rod camera.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Wed May 26, 2021 3:04 pm

Teton SUL is nice rod for casting and with fish:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GwZUmK ... -GodqP1VRk

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu May 27, 2021 10:06 am

I use the Tsurinoya Ares XUL and it's a great SUL BFS rod. Awesome for small brook trout in streams
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Thu May 27, 2021 4:11 pm

^ Sure it is. Also in my opinion that is better than Teton Sul.

But mine one still waits for time of repair, and before that I have prohibited myself using it.