(SUL) Super Ultra Light?

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

(SUL) Super Ultra Light?

Post by LowRange » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:02 am

Anyone temped by the Kuying Teton SUL Super Ultra Light? Re-posted from DIY spool thread into a more specific sub forum. Looks like back handed casting, stream lurking UL fun. Comes in a a casting variant even. It'll take balls to answer that BFS call LOL. Too bad I don't have trout filed streams where I live... not that I'm up for the challenge.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/produc ... 27458.html
SUL

nikbrewer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: (SUL) Super Ultra Light?

Post by nikbrewer » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:55 am

i have the L action, and sometimes wish i had something with a bit more back bone. Cant emagine going SUL

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:08 am

Yea, I have the 6' UL and there is no way, even if I had a reel that could do it, that my thumb up to casting lures that light. The UL will load well with a 1/16oz inline spinner, but my thumb is questionable even for that.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:11 am

I'm waiting to eventually purchase a Light setup, I couldn't even imagine going UL... I rarely go to 1/32 though when using dad's old cheap trout/light tackle and think personally 1/16 is better done with a Light powered rod.

fffishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fffishing » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:03 pm

For this money better to get some NFC blank (50% off now),and build a nice rod. :mrgreen:

earthworm77
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by earthworm77 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:15 pm

I couldn't put together a better rod for 62.00 shipped like this. I know the build quality is very good. It is a Chinese assembled rod that uses Japanese components.

I own 4 Kuying rods. I have both Teton Trout rods, a UL and a MH/H casting rod. I am a Major craft guy but refuse to leave my high dollar rods at my cabin, so I got these. With Fuji components and a Toray blank they are on par with some M/C rods. I'm sure the SUL will be hella fun for panfish, small bass and trout. It probably will be on par with the Teton Trout spin, whose action I'm not all that fond of. It is kind of noodley.
Last edited by earthworm77 on Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:22 pm

earthworm77 wrote:It probably will be o par with the Teton Trout spin, whose action I'm not all that fond of. It is kind of noodley.
noodley for sure, but a ton of fun lol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GffDv2U_6qo

waterone
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by waterone » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:05 am

I have this rod and for what it’s seemed to be designed for and I think I use i5 a# designed, it’s great rod.

I think it’s intended as a version of the Japanese Mountain Stream Baitcasting rods and while it doesn5 have the really exceptional build quality of Japanese rods, the components are much better than you expect for the money.

I th8nk I got the rod on sale, I’m pretty sure I pain less than $45 including shipping for the rod. It took forever to get here, but thst# international shipping for you.

I’ve used it primarily on trout streams an$ small rivers with both Shimano and Daiwa BFS reels, spooled with JDM 4 lb line. ( can’t remember the manufacturer righ5 now)

With the Daiwa, it seems to be “happiest”, allowing me to cast the larger sized Snap Beans pretty accurately, as well as Rapala F3 and F4 sized Minnow plugs. Of course, it casts spinners and spoons down to 1/16 with no problem at all.

My most successful lure, casting with this rod have been the JDM Daiwa Lupin Spoons. They’ve taken trout up to say 14-15” (which is a pretty big fish for here) and smallmouth up to 2+ lb. which was pretty good for th3 small rivers I fish.

IMO! It’s a good buy.

RIng
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by RIng » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:24 am

I have the bait caster on order .

RIng
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by RIng » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:34 am

I am waiting for mine . Shipping from China is not like shipping from Japan ! ?????

waterone
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by waterone » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:50 am

Shipping can be long, especially during the Christmas season. If you order a less busy season, it can be faster, in some cases than shipping than Japan.

If you ordered via AliExpress, you get tracking provided, and a lot of times you have the choice to pay more for quicker shipping.

As to ordering from AliExpress, you often cut out 2-6 middlemen, plus it’s cheaper to boot. And it doesn’t go through so many hands to get to you.

Also, the shipping tracking takes some work to use and get current, correct information.

I’ve had better luck in getting stuff in better shape from China, Japan, SE Asia and Europe than ordering stuff from Amazon. Alas as much of the stuff we buy comes from China, why go through at least two middlemen using Amazon?

RIng
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by RIng » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:59 am

Tracking shows it in China for 2 weeks now . It says sorted and shipped but not leaving China . ?????? I have had good luck with many things from Japan . It is coming EMS ,

waterone
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by waterone » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:24 am

If it means anything, of all the stuff I’ve ordered from China, the Tetons came faster than most. Sometimes the tracking software gets “stuck”, and you can copy and paste the tracking number from AliExpress into the EMS linked site and get an entirely different delivery date.

Then again, I’ve Order really small things from elsewhere in Asia, and they had to go from the origination point to Düsseldorf Germany, sit there for two weeks and then get to JFK, sit there for a week, then go to Jamaica, NY and get in the US Postal system. International shipping is getting better, but it still takes a while.

However, I’d still think most couriers are still getting over or in the seasonal rush.

masterbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by masterbass » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:35 pm

I just ordered the 522 sul casting rod. I have zero experience with rods this light, but I'm looking forward to trying my hand at some stocked trout in local streams this spring. I'm thinking about throwing inline spinners, pins minnows, 1/16 spoons and trout magnets. I'll pair it with either a pizy/diy or t3mx/diy spool.

waterone
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by waterone » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:29 pm

My 522 handles spoons the best, my favorite so far are the Daiwa Presso Lupin series, which I think weigh 1.5 gr. I’ve cast the 1/16 oz Pins Minnow and the YoZuri L 44 F, Minnow as well as weighed nymphs. I’ve not had success with the trout magnets so can’t address their “castability.” The rod has handled a approx 3 lb smallie and a similar or maybe similar sized spotted bass well, but the fight was exiting.

I have a Daiwa Pixy with a DIY spool, but alas it doesnt cast as well as my favorite small or even midstream reel - the Daiwa SS Air.