BFS Line Conundrum

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: BFS Line Conundrum

Post by poisonokie » Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:16 pm

Ah, so it's the swelling of nylon that can cause problems. Fluoro is a go, then. I had 4# on it, then I took that off to see what I thought about 6# and I like it better. I wound up with an UL bfs rod that 6# seems perfect for. It still casts light jigheads and spoons a long way, but there's still plenty of line left on the spool. Plus I get the abrasion resistance and peace of mind from 50% stronger line. Unless I hook into a true giant or a big catfish or something I should be fine. Even then they'll get a run for their money. Thanks for all the input, everyone.
This is the way.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:14 pm

My BFS casts pretty well with 10 lb Sufix Performance braid mainline with a Sufix Elite mono 4 lb leader, but I'm going to try some Sufix Advanced copoly so I don'y have a leader knot to deal with. I'm not a fan of straight fluoro at all, never have been.

raindance
Angler
Angler

Post by raindance » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:47 pm

Sorry if this is hijacking the thread. Would I be fine using daiwa j braid 6lb? I also have some trilene XL 4lb , yo-zuri hybrid 6lb and some Stren crappie mono 2lb. BFS is very new to me and reading this has got me confused. Reel will be a tsurinoy xf50.

Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craigthor » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:54 pm

raindance wrote:Sorry if this is hijacking the thread. Would I be fine using daiwa j braid 6lb? I also have some trilene XL 4lb , yo-zuri hybrid 6lb and some Stren crappie mono 2lb. BFS is very new to me and reading this has got me confused. Reel will be a tsurinoy xf50.
Not cheap but if you want a high performance braid I really like the Sunline Small Game PE .4/ 6lb line.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:03 pm

raindance wrote:Sorry if this is hijacking the thread. Would I be fine using daiwa j braid 6lb? I also have some trilene XL 4lb , yo-zuri hybrid 6lb and some Stren crappie mono 2lb. BFS is very new to me and reading this has got me confused. Reel will be a tsurinoy xf50.
I didn't know Daiwa had 6# braid. Gots ta gits me some o' dat!
This is the way.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:14 pm

You will be fine with 6lb braid. I use 2lb Nanofil on my lightest BFS setup.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:12 am

4LB Yo Zuri Hybrid is slightly thicker than 7LB Sunline Sniper FC.
Your 6LB is probably thicker than 10LB Sniper. :lol:

raindance
Angler
Angler

Post by raindance » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:51 am

The daiwa x8 has the 6lb line. I can only find it in chartreuse.

Thanks for all the advice, I am excited to try it out. I might give that FC a try as I have never used it. It is mostly for leader material or is it also for main line?

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:30 am

raindance wrote:The daiwa x8 has the 6lb line. I can only find it in chartreuse.

Thanks for all the advice, I am excited to try it out. I might give that FC a try as I have never used it. It is mostly for leader material or is it also for main line?
For the lightest stuff, I use braid or other superline and a FC leader. The thin braid will fray just looking at rocks and sticks, not to mention the fishes mouth will fray the tiny diameter line. The FC leader will help big time. Make sure your knots are tied well. You also dont have to reef at the braid to FC knot. The knot will pop with hard direct pressure. Your knot is not under the amount of stress most people test it to. Between your rod, the drag and the stretch in the FC, the knot doesnt have huge amounts of pressure on it. With 2lb Nanofil and a 4lb FC leader, it only broke when attempting to pull a snag free. It took a surprising amount of force using the rod. The knot would have broke a lot easier pulling it with a hand on each side of the knot.

I use FC for 2 of my other BFS setups. They throw 3gr and above.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:38 am

When my BFS budget arrives, I plan to use either 8lb Sufix Ghost, 8lb Nanobraid, or potentially one of the new 6lb Daiwa braided lines. I figure the DIY Aliexpress honeycomb style can handle it, just going to keep the drag loose. I understand how a backlash could damage the spool, but these are some LIGHT weights. The rod and very slight stretch of a line coupled with slight spool movement till lock of a backlash should protect it. Now a tight drag with a 3/16 total weight might wreak havoc.

I planned on using 7lb Sunline FC leader to give more abrasion resistance and help casting by adding weight. I have only ever used about 1.5-2ft of leader max on my Light powered spinning setup...

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:39 am

I'm digging up this Thread because I'm having a BFS line conundrum. :mrgreen:
Has anyone actually damaged a spool using mono? The line shrinkage issue is what I am referring to.

I have an Avail Honeycomb BFS spool on my Aldebaran MGL and I am going to use it for UL topwater lures and I'm not really sure what line to use. I have a couple of different 6LB monos coming from Japan but I'm also wanting to try out the green Varivas Mountain Stream BFS braid in 10LB. Hobie recommends the Varivas and I'm going to order it today but I am curious about spool damage due to mono shrinking.

Here are the monos that I have ordered in 6LB.