Anyone make short glass UL casting rods?

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Anyone make short glass UL casting rods?

Post by Dalleinf » Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:10 am

I have some custom made glass casting rods 6 to 6'3". Great fun.
Smith has come out with some shorter glass for 2021:
https://www.smith.jp/product/trout/mult ... youse.html
Can be found on amazon Japan.

tincanary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tincanary » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:07 am

Have a look at the Ameriglass blanks, they come in 5'3" UL, 5'6" UL, 5'9" UL, and 6' L. They run between $100 and $150 depending on where you get them.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:35 am

Still I don't have ordered blank(s) itself.

But I found 16 mm Carbon tubes for reel seats was expensive. Therefore I ordered one 15.7 mm and 2 pcs of 16 mm carbon tubes from Aliexpress with different wall thicknesses. Question: 16 mm seems really tight for Fuji reel seats, is that good or bad for glueing seat to tube? (15.7 mm is slightly too loose I think.)

Carbon tubes are long because this was handy length as Aliexpress order. Furthermore I'm planning that my very soft glassfiber rod shall have rigid bottom (handle + reel seat + 10 ... 20 cm more) and I might use carbon tube for that. But cheap and stiff 5 piece travel rod blank ordered from Ali might do that work alone. Probably I will anyway make some kind of butt joint to rod, using some parts of this strong graphite rod blank for it.

I ordered 3 types of palming reel seats because I wasn't sure which I might like most for this use. Still I'm not sure, I have to think and try more :) But therefore I ordered all three that was available.

American Tackle micro wave guides are small and light :) And that's good...

Carbon tubes and reel seats.JPG
Parts for UL rod
Carbon tubes and reel seats.JPG (64.8 KiB) Viewed 5925 times

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:25 am

ultralight wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:38 pm
jvelth74 wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:17 pm
Wpeart7 wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:59 pm
So I've got to admit I got a super hard on for one of Anglo's glass stream rods after seeing that casting video post here. Guy is using a 4'11 3 piece glass casting rod rated for 1-5g to throw minnow plugs in tight mountain streams.
I think you mean Enjoy Fishing Channel's Fisherman (Saito?):
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrQAta ... Z6zmESV92w
Really nice casting in those video's!
Also I'm planning to get UL glass rod:
http://tackletour.net/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=85117
Adding weight (by coating and/or by guides) could be solution to make carbon rod to more like glass action.
Indeed, adding weight to a carbon rod will slow it down by reducing its power to weight ratio, and thus come closer to glass. However, it will still not feel quite like glass because there is still the difference in how the material stiffen up as it is flexed. My impression is that carbon fiber stiffen up more quickly than glass. Thus, glass gives a softer feel as it flexes. That said, some carbon fiber can feel more like glass I'm sure - probably the lower modulus fibers.

There are some fisherman who swears by fiberglass.

Interestingly, there is a Cabela fiberglass fly rod that is highly rated. So I got one and stripped it down - only to find that under its paint, it is really a carbon fiber blank - perhaps with glass added. It definitely was not a fiberglass blank - so I supposed some manufacturer can use carbon fiber to mimic glass blanks.
Was it a CGR? That is surprising for how slow the blanks are.

You could also contact Cameron at the Fiberglass Manifesto to see when he is getting Eagle Claw spinning rods back in stock. Strip down a 5'6'' model into a casting rod. https://thefiberglassmanifesto.blogspot ... store.html

tincanary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tincanary » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:08 am

If you want to spend the money, Daiwa now has the Silver Creek Glass Progressive which is available in a 4'6" casting variant. The blank is composed of 69% glass and 31% carbon. I've toyed around with getting one but I have far too many rods already. They run about $400.

https://www.daiwa.com/jp/fishing/item/r ... index.html

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:33 am

tincanary wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:08 am
If you want to spend the money, Daiwa now has the Silver Creek Glass Progressive which is available in a 4'6" casting variant. The blank is composed of 69% glass and 31% carbon. I've toyed around with getting one but I have far too many rods already. They run about $400.

They are almost impossible to get. Global pandemic is causing delays with many parts of rod production. I been eyeing it up too
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

tincanary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tincanary » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:46 am

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:33 am
tincanary wrote:

They are almost impossible to get. Global pandemic is causing delays with many parts of rod production. I been eyeing it up too
I've noticed even the better Kuying and Tsurinoya rods are getting increasingly hard to get as well. That Silver Creek GP looks like it would be a great brookie stick.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:44 am

tincanary wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:46 am
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
tincanary wrote:

I've noticed even the better Kuying and Tsurinoya rods are getting increasingly hard to get as well. That Silver Creek GP looks like it would be a great brookie stick.
I am looking for something to be able to handle trout from 6" to about 15". The Tsurinoya is great for small fish but, when I hook into a big one, it gets more challenging when there are submerged trees and current...and not in a fun way.

I am open to suggestions for a glass rod that will fit the above

tincanary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tincanary » Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:06 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:44 am
tincanary wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:46 am
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
tincanary wrote:

I am looking for something to be able to handle trout from 6" to about 15". The Tsurinoya is great for small fish but, when I hook into a big one, it gets more challenging when there are submerged trees and current...and not in a fun way.

I am open to suggestions for a glass rod that will fit the above
If you aren't averse to a 6', have a look at the Ameriglass 6' 1/16-1/4 made by McFarland. The blanks run about $150.

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:59 pm

HobieWan,

I don't know if my thoughts hold any water....but my guess is that you would have something that has a really soft top 1/2 or 60%. But has a stout backbone that you can DIG into when needed. I have a cheapie Chinese rod that I got on a whim to loan to guests. It is exactly that. The tip is incredibly flexible - more so even than your fav 4' 7". Yes, the top half is entirely solid. However, the bottom half has enough backbone to really dig in if necessary. The seller demoed the rod by lifting a 5.5 lbs weight without any issues with breakage. Unfortunately, the rod is no longer in production. I liked it enough to pick up a few as loaners. Anyways, I wonder if that kind of action may be helpful to you. By the way, last week, this rod worked remarkably well as a bait rod for trout. The tip was so soft that the trout would pick up the bait and barely feel it but by the time they sense the pressure, the hook was already catching their flesh and starting to drive in. And then there's enough backbone to bring it in. My son used it last week and caught all his trout on that rod. The largest was almost 7 lbs and it was no issue at all to land that trout using a 2 lbs line that actually breaks at 4 lbs.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:15 am

ultralight wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:59 pm
HobieWan,

I don't know if my thoughts hold any water....but my guess is that you would have something that has a really soft top 1/2 or 60%. But has a stout backbone that you can DIG into when needed. I have a cheapie Chinese rod that I got on a whim to loan to guests. It is exactly that. The tip is incredibly flexible - more so even than your fav 4' 7". Yes, the top half is entirely solid. However, the bottom half has enough backbone to really dig in if necessary. The seller demoed the rod by lifting a 5.5 lbs weight without any issues with breakage. Unfortunately, the rod is no longer in production. I liked it enough to pick up a few as loaners. Anyways, I wonder if that kind of action may be helpful to you. By the way, last week, this rod worked remarkably well as a bait rod for trout. The tip was so soft that the trout would pick up the bait and barely feel it but by the time they sense the pressure, the hook was already catching their flesh and starting to drive in. And then there's enough backbone to bring it in. My son used it last week and caught all his trout on that rod. The largest was almost 7 lbs and it was no issue at all to land that trout using a 2 lbs line that actually breaks at 4 lbs.
Everyone's thoughts hold water around here. I appreciate the response.

What is the name of the rod?

tincanary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tincanary » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:16 am

It looks like Major Craft is adding some glass to their lineup. I wonder when they will be available? I really love my 4'5" L Finetail.

https://www.majorcraft.co.jp/roditem/13957

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:14 am

tincanary wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:16 am
It looks like Major Craft is adding some glass to their lineup. I wonder when they will be available? I really love my 4'5" L Finetail.

Hmmm...interest is piqued

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:16 am

tincanary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tincanary » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:34 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:14 am
tincanary wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:16 am

Hmmm...interest is piqued
I was emailing with somebody from one of the Japanese tackle shops and was told they are to start production next week after the holiday. So maybe we will see them later in May.