Anyone make short glass UL casting rods?

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
slimjim1135
Angler
Angler

Re: Anyone make short glass UL casting rods?

Post by slimjim1135 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:15 pm

Major Craft glass rods sound amazing! Can't wait to get my hands on one.

Similar to Major Craft, Palms has a new Egeria ETVC-46XUL, which is their newest stream trout glass rod. I believe this year they're introducing a 4'2" version as well. They're currently doing preorders for this years run. I got one on Japan's Yahoo auction a few months ago and it's stellar. If you can find one, 10/10 worth it for a sub $200 glass rod made in Japan.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:39 pm

slimjim1135 wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:15 pm

Similar to Major Craft, Palms has a new Egeria ETVC-46XUL, which is their newest stream trout glass rod. I believe this year they're introducing a 4'2" version as well. They're currently doing preorders for this years run. I got one on Japan's Yahoo auction a few months ago and it's stellar. If you can find one, 10/10 worth it for a sub $200 glass rod made in Japan.
What model you have?
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

slimjim1135
Angler
Angler

Post by slimjim1135 » Sat May 01, 2021 9:41 am

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:39 pm
slimjim1135 wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:15 pm

What model you have?
I have the ETVC-46XUL. They made that one for a bit last year, but it looked like they sold out fast.
Over the winter, they made a limited run glass rod on their Rera Kamuy line. It's the RKVC-42XUL, but it was only sold directly through Palms website. I've seen a few appear on Yahoo Auctions though.
Now for 2021 they added another glass rod on their Egeria line, the ETVC-42XUL, which is another 4'2" rod.
I think both the 4'6" and 4'2" Egeria's are up for preorders on a few sites right now. Problem is Palms seem to be way more difficult to get shipped to the States than Major Craft rods are.

tincanary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tincanary » Sat May 08, 2021 5:12 am

I contacted the Japanese shop that rhymes with rat, the Finetail Glass will be out at the beginning of June. They were even kind enough to let me reserve one, so I told them I wanted the 4'10" casting model and they'll let me know when it's ready to ship out. I can't wait, been looking for a decent glass rod for a bit now.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:47 am

tincanary wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:16 am
It looks like Major Craft is adding some glass to their lineup. I wonder when they will be available? I really love my 4'5" L Finetail.

https://www.majorcraft.co.jp/roditem/13957
I just bought one of the "new" Finetail 452L from JDM Tackle Heaven yesterday mostly on a whim. I think I would've probably opted for the 4102UL if there was one in stock, but I logged on here today to discuss this exact rod. What do you think of yours? I'm a huge MC fan. I have an ASC to go on mine.

Edit: This is how MC describes the rod, which really makes me wonder what it's like.

Supple and firm blanks. Since it is finished with a first (sic, *fast*) taper, you can operate the lure at a good tempo even in the upstream. Casting may be a bit difficult for bait beginners, but with an emphasis on upstream lure maneuverability, this model allows for linear lure action.
This is the way.

Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Knotty » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:30 am

poisonokie wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:47 am
tincanary wrote:
It looks like Major Craft is adding some glass to their lineup. I wonder when they will be available? I really love my 4'5" L Finetail.

https://www.majorcraft.co.jp/roditem/13957
I just bought one of the "new" Finetail 452L from JDM Tackle Heaven yesterday mostly on a whim. I think I would've probably opted for the 4102UL if there was one in stock, but I logged on here today to discuss this exact rod. What do you think of yours? I'm a huge MC fan. I have an ASC to go on mine.

Edit: This is how MC describes the rod, which really makes me wonder what it's like.

Supple and firm blanks. Since it is finished with a first (sic, *fast*) taper, you can operate the lure at a good tempo even in the upstream. Casting may be a bit difficult for bait beginners, but with an emphasis on upstream lure maneuverability, this model allows for linear lure action.
Fast taper on a glass rod. Strange. Isn't the main reason most people are looking into short glass casting rods is so they can get a soft, slow rod to help with flip casting and casting in general with light lures? Like the stuff Angler Sato uses?

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:54 am

I can't speak for another people, but for me idea of extra soft glassfiber rod is easier casting for lures of 2 g and below and great fun with 1 kg rainbow trouts.

Probably different casting techniques are also easier to learn with slow and bendy rod.

(My short glass rod still waits for order blank and built rod.)

Angler Saito uses 'heavy' lures and those loads his Anglo&co glass rods easily. And hi is truly master caster :)

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:18 am

jvelth74 wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:54 am
I can't speak for another people, but for me idea of extra soft glassfiber rod is easier casting for lures of 2 g and below and great fun with 1 kg rainbow trouts.

Probably different casting techniques are also easier to learn with slow and bendy rod.

(My short glass rod still waits for order blank and built rod.)

Angler Saito uses 'heavy' lures and those loads his Anglo&co glass rods easily. And hi is truly master caster :)
Plus that rod doesn't rebound much at all. Once the cast is made it snaps right back to being straight. It's incredible. I've never seen anything else quite like it.
This is the way.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:22 am

tincanary wrote:

Fast taper on a glass rod. Strange. Isn't the main reason most people are looking into short glass casting rods is so they can get a soft, slow rod to help with flip casting and casting in general with light lures? Like the stuff Angler Sato uses?
Sorry for the confusion, but I was off topic asking about the standard graphite version. I don't think the new glass ones are rated as such. In my experience with MC bass rods, however, RF and F both mean the blank is progressive with the RF having a slightly softer tip. Don't know if that translates to their trout sticks or not.
This is the way.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:45 am

poisonokie wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:18 am
Plus that rod doesn't rebound much at all. Once the cast is made it snaps right back to being straight. It's incredible. I've never seen anything else quite like it.
Yes it is. Hard to say is it mainly by his ridiculously expensive Anglo&co rods or by his remarkable casting skills. I guess it's more on skills despite of his high end rods. But bottom line is that all the energy hi puts to his rod transfers to lure and spool speed...

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:14 pm

jvelth74 wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:45 am

Yes it is. Hard to say is it mainly by his ridiculously expensive Anglo&co rods or by his remarkable casting skills. I guess it's more on skills despite of his high end rods. But bottom line is that all the energy hi puts to his rod transfers to lure and spool speed...
I'd like to think if I had that rod I could do some of what he does, but yeah, he's probably on another level. I wouldn't be doing it with an Ambassadeur, either.
This is the way.

tincanary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tincanary » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:11 am

poisonokie wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:14 pm
jvelth74 wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:45 am

I'd like to think if I had that rod I could do some of what he does, but yeah, he's probably on another level. I wouldn't be doing it with an Ambassadeur, either.
The Ambassadeur is still held in high regard by some, no surprise he uses one. The prices on the 1500C/2500C are through the roof right now. I just tweaked and tuned a 2500CI for a customer of mine to fish trout, and before I quoted him parts and labor, I stated he might be better off with a Calcutta Conquest BFS or Alphas Air TW. Nope, he wanted his 2500CI done up. Funny enough, he brought it over in the original box, price tag on it was $59.99, bought from K-Mart back in '94. It's a sweet reel for sure, but heavy and not as refined feeling as the stuff most of us here use. With all of that said, it makes me wonder what Abu would be like today if they didn't get bought by Pure Fishing. Their days of innovation are long behind them, now they just pick parts out of the Doyo catalog or, in the case of Swedish made reels, recycle old designs, change the color, and call it new.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:00 am

I guess that there will be re-production of 2500 C again. It was formerly in the 1995 when they re-produced 2500 C IAR. I think it doesn't take many years when they will product those again. BFS popularity is rising, and there is fans of classical Abu, and mint 2500 C's costs sky high, and aftermarket BFS parts for 2500 are largely produded...

tincanary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tincanary » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:35 am

The last production for the 2500C was 2012 IIRC, and it was an instant anti reverse model, but didn't have the CIAR nomenclature stamped on the side plate. These are the ones you usually see being sold by the Japanese on eBay.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:56 am

tincanary wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:11 am
Their days of innovation are long behind them, now they just pick parts out of the Doyo catalog or, in the case of Swedish made reels, recycle old designs, change the color, and call it new.
Not saying there's anything wrong with them, it just wouldn't be my thing for that. I have one of the black pro rocket 5501's all tricked out, but I just use it for catfishing with live bait at the river. If I fished deep cranks it would be great for that, too.

They'll have to bury my ASC with me.
This is the way.