Short BFS rod

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Short BFS rod

Post by ultralight » Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:54 am

LOL! I actually got the 4'7" and the longer one, I think 5' 6". I got it because of you Hobie to satisfy my curiosity. That said, I really don't have any need for a 4' 7" as my waters here are wide open. BUT it does feel very very nice and light in hand, especially balanced by a super lightweight reel such as the 4.6oz Shimano Adebaran BFS 16. It feels like a light saber in its agility... :lol: I got the 5' 6" in spinning and casting too. All of the tops are solid carbon fiber so these should be very tough rods even though they are very low powered and more moderate in action.

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:06 pm

Oh, and for the 'ultimate' UL short rod, take the solid tip section of the 4'7" or 5' 6" Ares and build that into a one piece short rod...... :shock:

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:25 pm

ultralight wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:54 am
LOL! I actually got the 4'7" and the longer one, I think 5' 6". I got it because of you Hobie to satisfy my curiosity. That said, I really don't have any need for a 4' 7" as my waters here are wide open. BUT it does feel very very nice and light in hand, especially balanced by a super lightweight reel such as the 4.6oz Shimano Adebaran BFS 16. It feels like a light saber in its agility... :lol: I got the 5' 6" in spinning and casting too. All of the tops are solid carbon fiber so these should be very tough rods even though they are very low powered and more moderate in action.
How would you compare the 4'7" to the 5'6"? I have been curious about the 5'6".
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:19 pm

I've not fished with either in BFS - in fact I've never actually tried to fish BFS though I got the equipment with the idea to do so. I have fished with the 5' 6" in spinning.

So I can't compare. But just swinging it around, there's a bit of magic in a short rod just because it is so easy to do underhanded casts and it is so light. The 5' 6" is a joy to use in the spinning because of what feels like a parabolic action. That said, they are not built to be ultra lightweight like the finer JDMs.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:00 pm

ultralight wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:19 pm
I've not fished with either in BFS - in fact I've never actually tried to fish BFS though I got the equipment with the idea to do so. I have fished with the 5' 6" in spinning.

So I can't compare. But just swinging it around, there's a bit of magic in a short rod just because it is so easy to do underhanded casts and it is so light. The 5' 6" is a joy to use in the spinning because of what feels like a parabolic action. That said, they are not built to be ultra lightweight like the finer JDMs.
The solid carbon does add weight but, with such light powered rods, you hardly notice the weight difference.

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:29 pm

Indeed. On an absolute scale, this is a very responsive rod. My comment was referring to JDM rods that would be in the same length and power - those will be even lighter. But yes, the Tsurinoya feels very light and agile.
Last edited by ultralight on Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:41 am

Yep, scale shows that Teton SUL is lighter than Tsurinoya Ares, but in fishing Ares doesn't feel heavy at all. Ares is better BFS rod in everything but only in transportation Teton is more handy.

Testing Ares:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nteM7vRUIco

Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Knotty » Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:48 pm

Got the Tsurinoya Ares C472UL for Christmas and just did some yard casting. Amazed that it seems like casting 1 g might actually be practical. Better than a similar Kuying or the CU Double.

Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Knotty » Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:53 pm

I made a new post to share my impressions of the Tsurinoya Ares along with some comparisons to other rods here:

BFS: Ares vs. 6 other rods

Thanks.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Wed May 26, 2021 9:57 am

My Tsurinoya Ares are still needing repair and I have prohibited myself to use it before repairing.
( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZTy3NPbRi0 )

I have used a lot Kuying Teton SUL. It's good rod for short casts from 1 g to 15 g :D I know rating is up to 3 g and rating is OK. But still 15 g can be cast if needed (short casts). Usually I cast with it 3 g inline spinners or 4-5 g crankbaits or 3 - 10 g leaded leeches.

With fish action of rod is good. Still only one fish I have lost, which may be partially because rod, but I'm unsure could any rod save that fish.

This Fish on...Fish off:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkQYrhVm6O8

wasn't up to Teton.
Only I might to try was to lock spool or release spool, and hope the best.
But in my opinion that is not the way to go in sportfishing...

Still Ares needs to be repaired :)

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:50 am

Tsurinoya Ares is repaired, and it's repaired good in my opinion. I decided to sand repaired area again ad coat it again. Now it's good looking in my standards :) And by the way, it's amazing rod at that price. Shipping cost is relatively high in respect of what it was.

I was training different pitching casts at Nukari Rapids and fish scared me :D

Luckily there's Internet. Beacause without internet it's possibly that I haven't even heard of pitching style casting. and luckily there's a lot of training videos available. In my video I'm pitching practically first time and it looks like that.
https://youtu.be/sHORREqf1SU

Ares might be a little too flexy for underhand pitching? It might be easier with faster rod?

Another fishing trip training for Pitching...Seems it beginning to work. Now I don't need to think will it go bad when pitching. I wish I would start training these casts before... :roll:
https://youtu.be/fQfBOlkpy_g

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:01 am

Interesting short butt-joint glassfiber rod:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002 ... 5392%23372

There's 3 piece butt joint and 1 piece butt joint versions.

Sad but handle is ugly and colors of 1 piece versions as well.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:51 am

jvelth74 wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:50 am
Tsurinoya Ares is repaired, and it's repaired good in my opinion. I decided to sand repaired area again ad coat it again. Now it's good looking in my standards :) And by the way, it's amazing rod at that price. Shipping cost is relatively high in respect of what it was.

I was training different pitching casts at Nukari Rapids and fish scared me :D

Luckily there's Internet. Beacause without internet it's possibly that I haven't even heard of pitching style casting. and luckily there's a lot of training videos available. In my video I'm pitching practically first time and it looks like that.
https://youtu.be/sHORREqf1SU

Ares might be a little too flexy for underhand pitching? It might be easier with faster rod?

Another fishing trip training for Pitching...Seems it beginning to work. Now I don't need to think will it go bad when pitching. I wish I would start training these casts before... :roll:
https://youtu.be/fQfBOlkpy_g
The Ares is pretty decent at "flip casting". Probably very similar to the pitch casting to speak of. The rod bending helps with that style of casting. It is easier with a fiberglass rod but, still good with the Ares. I tend to do pitch casting cross body like a backhand cast would be.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:11 am

Yes, Ares in good in pretty much every way :) In addition to that it's very easy to transport. I have line trough guides all the time (and reel attached to handle), handle is in it's pocket and secured by additional rope with simple knot. It can be taken into action in a seconds and still rod is in safe during transport. Ares casts good every lure it's mean't to. It's nicer to cast than Kuying teton SUL and Ares casts longer and Ares is better in tight places...

I would have already ordered Trout Master, but found that shipping estimate is 23.th July. And because shipping wil be taken that long, I'm not hurry to order that.

But that glassfiber rod still needs to be built. I guess Trout Magnets are better casting with extra soft rod...

Freddie
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Freddie » Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:37 am

For a great UL and short(54”) casting rod check out the ACE Hawk Vitoria. Solid tip and casts extremely well…easily my favorite thus far…