Short BFS rod

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Short BFS rod

Post by Knotty » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:57 am

jvelth74 wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:55 pm
Thanks for reply! Yep, you have turned me also to Ares, and yes, lightest baitcasting fishing is very nice hobby! But still I’m in the middle of should I bought Ares or Master, and I try to clear out this :-) I’m thinking if I buy Ares, would I still think I should bought Master. And if I’m going to buy Master, would that be too backbone and too tricky for lightest lures and smallest streams.
I think it really depends on what your goal is. If you want to cast at the low end of BFS, 1 g, then I'd get the Ares. If you are always at 2 g or more, then Master may suit you better, especially if you are already an accomplished BFS caster. I'm not in that category, so I don't want to be casting at the bottom end of a rod's rating. So, even if I'm casting 2 g or more all the time, it will be easier for me if I use a rod rated down to 1 g.

Of course the proper Tackle Tour answer is "buy both."

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:21 pm

Knotty wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:57 am
jvelth74 wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:55 pm
Thanks for reply! Yep, you have turned me also to Ares, and yes, lightest baitcasting fishing is very nice hobby! But still I’m in the middle of should I bought Ares or Master, and I try to clear out this :-) I’m thinking if I buy Ares, would I still think I should bought Master. And if I’m going to buy Master, would that be too backbone and too tricky for lightest lures and smallest streams.
I think it really depends on what your goal is. If you want to cast at the low end of BFS, 1 g, then I'd get the Ares. If you are always at 2 g or more, then Master may suit you better, especially if you are already an accomplished BFS caster. I'm not in that category, so I don't want to be casting at the bottom end of a rod's rating. So, even if I'm casting 2 g or more all the time, it will be easier for me if I use a rod rated down to 1 g.

There is much deserved attention to lure weight range of a rod and casting performance. I personally think it is too heavy of a factor. Playing a fish, manipulating a lure (twitching), type of cover, size of fish...all play a factor.

The Ares can handle pretty much what the Master can with casting. Master has a faster action. Master if "effectively" fishing for bluegill or small bass. I say effectively because the Master would be the better tool for that job.

In comes the Ares. It will have less power than the Master. The Ares can still cast a wide range of BFS sized lures. The fight is incredible with bluegill and 10in trout but, I have also landed big pike with it too. If you like the light rod fight and dont mind being underpowered sometimes, the Ares is the way to go.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:29 am

Knotty wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:57 am
True, those are not impossible expensive to buy both. And that obviously is what Tsurinoya wishes. But I try to limit purchasements because I don't have time to use all my current equipments. But still it's nice to try new equimpments. I would like Tsurinoya would make a little marketing and would show bending pictures of Trout Master. I looked, they have sold 4 rods from their official store of Trout Master:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3304666 ... 3862IzJ0gN

Maybe a little of marketing would help? :) But I understand if they state that their products are that good and prices are that low that marketing is unnecessary :)
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:21 pm
There is much deserved attention to lure weight range of a rod and casting performance. I personally think it is too heavy of a factor. Playing a fish, manipulating a lure (twitching), type of cover, size of fish...all play a factor.

The Ares can handle pretty much what the Master can with casting. Master has a faster action. Master if "effectively" fishing for bluegill or small bass. I say effectively because the Master would be the better tool for that job.

In comes the Ares. It will have less power than the Master. The Ares can still cast a wide range of BFS sized lures. The fight is incredible with bluegill and 10in trout but, I have also landed big pike with it too. If you like the light rod fight and dont mind being underpowered sometimes, the Ares is the way to go.
Thanks! That's pretty much what I want for lightest baitcasting fishing! Most of rod's can be used for much heavier use than those are supposed. Here I'm casting 7.8 g 'Pike Shad' with Kuying Teton SUL - it wasn't bad to cast: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5C-lRtsAJI&t=336s (Video is made mostly for a humor, but of course my goal was to get pike, which not succeeded.) Heaviest lure that I have cast with Teton SUL is 15 g. Casts doesn't go further than with 3 g, but still somehow it's castable.

But still I have to think this Ares vs. Trout Master.

Btv, in Tsurinoya Official Store it states that Ares has solid tip?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3297063 ... 3862vOv8Ax

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:06 am

The Ares is solid all through the blank. The 2 piece design connects at the reel seat. Basically, the whole blank is solid carbon

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:57 am

Thanks for correct me / clarify!

Hah, in case of Tsurinouya Ares: tip = rod itself :) Obviusly same for Trout Master..

But then those are really light! Kuying Teton SUL = 72,5 g...

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:32 am

jvelth74 wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:57 am
Thanks for correct me / clarify!

Hah, in case of Tsurinouya Ares: tip = rod itself :) Obviusly same for Trout Master..

But then those are really light! Kuying Teton SUL = 72,5 g...
That is correct

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:43 am

Then I believe those Ares and Trout Master are incredible strong for anything (including abuse). One reason more to buy..

Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Knotty » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:30 am

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:06 am
The Ares is solid all through the blank. The 2 piece design connects at the reel seat. Basically, the whole blank is solid carbon
Darn you Hobie-Wan. You're trying to help Jukka decide and in the process I think you've sold me on the Ares!

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:52 am

:D BFS is nice hobby!

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:27 am

Knotty wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:30 am
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:06 am
Darn you Hobie-Wan. You're trying to help Jukka decide and in the process I think you've sold me on the Ares!
I believe in the Ares. Such a nice rod for brushy brook trout streams.

Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Knotty » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:43 pm

The $21, 1.25 m telescopic finally arrived after months in transit. Nice and short, like I was looking for. Perfect for underhand casts. Quick test casts showed it had no problems with 2 g and I think it can go lower. Reel is a Tsurinoya XF50 with their lighter Spirit Fox spool. Line is 4# Nanofil.

One big negative is that they only have one sliding guide in the first section and it obviously needs two. Strange since the longer versions I have from them in baitcast and spinning get it right.

Like the tiny hard tube it comes in, plus a cloth rod sock. Hate the foam tip protector this company uses... worthless.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:48 am

I finally ordered Ares.

Now I can't wait until period of preservation ends in salmon/trout rivers.

And currently my brother tries to decide should hi order Ares :D

Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Knotty » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:10 pm

jvelth74 wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:48 am
I finally ordered Ares.

Gave in and ordered the 1.4 m / 4' 7" casting version as well. :D

Edward78
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Edward78 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:18 pm

lure rod stream ultra light soft pole 1.5-5g 3-6lb 462ul 562ul trout panfish spinnrute baitcaster pole 1.38m 1.68m

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:30 pm

Knotty wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:10 pm
jvelth74 wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:48 am
I finally ordered Ares.

Gave in and ordered the 1.4 m / 4' 7" casting version as well. :D
That is the version I have. I have had it for years and still love it.