Short BFS rod

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Short BFS rod

Post by jvelth74 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:23 am

Tried to look a discussion of fishing videos, but didn't managed to find one. So I attach it to here...

End of Autumn Season in Nukarinkoski. Fishing season ended at midnight. I left Nukari at 10 pm. So nearly all the time was used...

It's probably that I don't have before fished with that dark. It felt really strange, but somehow it was interesting. When not seeing almost anything, other senses sharpens. And therefore I was close to get stroke because big fish scared me.

With BFS setup it's not necessary to see where lure flies. It just somehow knows where it is. Once I stopped spool normally, but felt that something is not right. I was cast over tree branch on opposite shore and I have stopped lure before it hit water. Carefullu just reel lure to branch and just smoothly pull my strong braided line, and lure released.

Goal was to get Silver Seatrout in this very last time in Autumn Season, but that was a little unrealistic to happen. But I saw one fish and heard other.

Actually a great fishing trip:

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:24 am

Jvelth74,

I know what you mean by not "seeing the lure" but feeling where it goes. That works but, it is so brushy where I live, it will eventually end in snagging brush unless you purposely use more braking.

I like to use a high visibility line when fishing in lower light. Depending on where I am fishing, the terrain can block a lot of the light during sunrise or sunset. Steep hills with trees block a lot of light. 4lb VARIVAS Super Trout Advance Sight Edition has been great too see in those situations. Trout do not seem to mind the green color either.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:05 am

Yes, in a bushy place and zero light and BFS :D I have fished a lot of those place where I was in that video, so I remember well what there is and what there is not. And those places was easy to cast more to that I have rated those good places for Silver Seatrout.

Yes, I agree, BFS line should be visible, and more visible = better. I use 0.13 mm (= really thick) 'Trasluscent' (=white) Spiderwire Stealth Smooth. It break strength is 12.7 kg /something 28 lbs, so I have not lost many lures in this summer :lol: . I have rod length of 0.39 mm or 0.49 mm Fluorocarbon leader, depending on am I fishing in shallow or very shallow water. Between FC and braided main line I have as a marker of 50 cm thick green Morethan. This makes fishing in shallow water easier, because if lure is not visible in muddy water, I can still see that green Morethan and it helps me to know how deep lure is. I have those FC leader + Morethan in Minigrips with me, and I can quick change different leader to my main line by double Uni knot.
Stealth Smooth8.JPG
Stealth Smooth8.JPG (54.4 KiB) Viewed 1856 times
Actually seems Max Break 28 lbs, LB-Test 15 LB. But really strong one as a stream fishing line...
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:24 am
I like to use a high visibility line when fishing in lower light. Depending on where I am fishing, the terrain can block a lot of the light during sunrise or sunset. Steep hills with trees block a lot of light. 4lb VARIVAS Super Trout Advance Sight Edition has been great too see in those situations. Trout do not seem to mind the green color either.
Yes, You definately fish more challenging places than I do. Looked yours last video: 'VARIVAS Bush Trail Review'.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:35 am

My video of Tsurinoya Ares:

It is a very good and comfortable rod for stream fishing. Longer casting than Kuying Tetons.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:05 am

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Jvelth74,

I know what you mean by not "seeing the lure" but feeling where it goes. That works but, it is so brushy where I live, it will eventually end in snagging brush unless you purposely use more braking.

Been using 8lb Sufix 832 Ghost for my BFS, it is supposed to be white but gets an ugly stained color after much use. I found the VARIVAS on Digitaka you suggested but worried if the stretch would be too much for small jig heads and even weedless rigged plastics. (using a 6'3"UL fast action, proflex 2)

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:29 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:05 am
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Jvelth74,

Been using 8lb Sufix 832 Ghost for my BFS, it is supposed to be white but gets an ugly stained color after much use. I found the VARIVAS on Digitaka you suggested but worried if the stretch would be too much for small jig heads and even weedless rigged plastics. (using a 6'3"UL fast action, proflex 2)
I have used Sight Edition when fishing for panfish. My PB 11.125" bluegill came using this line. Fish was about 15ft deep and around weeds. It's a mono but, isnt as springy as other mono lines I have used. If you want less stretch, VARIVAS makes a line in the same series called Twitch Master. It's a yellow/brownish line that has less stretch.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing