Short BFS rod

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Short BFS rod

Post by Knotty » Sun May 10, 2020 7:22 pm

My shortest BFS rod is 5' but I'd like something closer to 4'. In tight quarters I'd like to be able to make underhand casts. Can do it with 5' but it's a bit tough on my shoulder. With a 4 footer I won't have to raise my elbow as high.

The Major Craft Finetail FTX-B38/425UL would be just the ticket but this whole COVID19 thing has me w/o income at the moment.

Are there any BFS rods in the 4' range on Aliexpress? I can't find any. No links please. Just provide enough detail so I can search for it.

Thanks!

patrickrio
Angler
Angler

Re: Short BFS rod

Post by patrickrio » Mon May 11, 2020 6:19 am

I did some research on short BFS/UL/SUL casting rods on AliExpress previously. This is what I found:

1. VTAVTA Fuji-A Guides Ring 1.44M Spinning Ultralight Travel Rod UL/L Power 3 Sections Casting Telescopic Fishing Rod Carbon Fiber

2. Cheap Super Light UL Fishing Rod 1.5m 1.68m 1.8m 0.5-8g Lure Weight Solid Top Spinning Rod Light Weight Spinning Fishing Rod

3. KUYING Teton 1.56m 5'2" Casting 1.86m 6'2" Spinning SUL Super Ultralight Soft Carbon Fishing Rod Lure Cane Pole Stick Medium

4. SeekBass flexible ul spinning rod 1.58m1.8m 0.8-5g lure weight ultralight spinning rods ultra light casting trout fishing rod

I just received the 1.5 meter RoseWood casting rod a few days ago. It has a very flexible tip but gets stiff really rapidly. extremely fast tip movement as a result. Maybe too fast for me. I also suspect that it may be very hard to use the low end of the 0.5-8g lure weight.

I have not been fishing with it and it may be awhile before i try it out. I live in NYC and my car blew an injector seal just before the quarantine. I took it to a mechanic that removed the injectors and then promptly closed down, so my car is sitting in pieces in a shop. Makes it hard to get to trout streams.

I planned to shorten the butt end by 10cm so that I can fit the rod in a carry on bag for travel. but that use is kinda on hold too at the moment.

Edited to remove links to non advertiser
Last edited by patrickrio on Mon May 11, 2020 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

patrickrio
Angler
Angler

Post by patrickrio » Mon May 11, 2020 6:22 am

are we not supposed to put links in for some reason???? sorry if i broke rules.... if I need to repost with just descriptions, please let me know...

Edit. removed links and put descriptions
Last edited by patrickrio on Mon May 11, 2020 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Knotty » Mon May 11, 2020 8:58 am

patrickrio wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 6:22 am
are we not supposed to put links in for some reason???? sorry if i broke rules.... if I need to repost with just descriptions, please let me know...
I believe we are to avoid links to sites that aren't forum sponsors.

Thanks for the research but those rods a typical of what I found. All 5' or longer. I'm looking specifically for a rod around 4'.

Thanks anyway.

patrickrio
Angler
Angler

Post by patrickrio » Mon May 11, 2020 11:08 am

The Rosewood one I bought (description 2) can easily be shortened from a two handed 59 inches to a one handed rod that is 55 inches. maybe even a little shorter.

For my purposes I need to shorten the handle piece to be 26.5 inches so it fits diagonally in my max size 22x14x9 carryon backpack. The tip piece can be bent into an arc to fit in the carry-on so it can be longer than 26.5 inches. protecting the tip when bent is the difficulty, but at least it is in a carry on...

That is the shortest i have found for around $20 on AliExpress.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon May 11, 2020 5:19 pm

Links to JDM tackle that are not sponsors is forbidden. I don't think they care about Aliexpress stuff.

Mavn
Angler
Angler

Post by Mavn » Mon May 11, 2020 11:19 pm

Not much cheaper than the Major Craft Finetail, but a 3'11" rod.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000860 ... 7565%23770

Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Knotty » Tue May 12, 2020 6:45 pm

Mavn wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 11:19 pm
Not much cheaper than the Major Craft Finetail, but a 3'11" rod.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000860 ... 7565%23770
Good find! Thanks. I've done so much searching on AE but never saw this one. A good bit cheaper than the Major Craft but kind of pricey for Aliexpress. My gut says wait until I can afford the Finetail or keep looking for an inexpensive AE rod.

Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Knotty » Tue May 26, 2020 9:57 am

This isn't exactly what I was looking for but found this 4'1", 1.25 m, telescopic rod. I already own the 6'2" version in both spin and baitcast. At $23 bucks I thought why not?

WisconsinHeat
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by WisconsinHeat » Tue May 26, 2020 1:12 pm

Knotty wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 9:57 am
This isn't exactly what I was looking for but found this 4'1", 1.25 m, telescopic rod. I already own the 6'2" version in both spin and baitcast. At $23 bucks I thought why not?

You got it? Let us know how it is once you've had a chance to fish with it. It looks useful, I'd consider picking one up for myself - looks like it would be nice to shove in a backpack on hiking trips.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue May 26, 2020 5:25 pm

WisconsinHeat wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 1:12 pm
Knotty wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 9:57 am

You got it? Let us know how it is once you've had a chance to fish with it. It looks useful, I'd consider picking one up for myself - looks like it would be nice to shove in a backpack on hiking trips.
Seems like the action would be stiff.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue May 26, 2020 5:29 pm

I got a short 4'7" XUL solid carbon BFS rod I have been using for years.

I have caught MANY stream trout, to pike and everything in between. Durable, light and sensitive. I have no issue casting sub 1gr lures and also being able to boat flip big bluegill and small bass with it. It is my favorite rod and really saved the day when I went out yesterday.

1/32oz jighead and Big Bite Baits cricket demolished gills, crappie and a few other species. I worked in open water as well as around wood and, I never felt outgunned or, overpowered. The tiny fish are fun and the bigger gills and crappie REALLY fight.

I got the rod for like 60 bucks from AliExpress and is my favorite rod. Tsurinoya Ares is the rod. It is purple with a cork handle.

prybis
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by prybis » Wed May 27, 2020 1:56 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 5:29 pm

I have caught MANY stream trout, to pike and everything in between. Durable, light and sensitive. I have no issue casting sub 1gr lures and also being able to boat flip big bluegill and small bass with it. It is my favorite rod and really saved the day when I went out yesterday.

1/32oz jighead and Big Bite Baits cricket demolished gills, crappie and a few other species. I worked in open water as well as around wood and, I never felt outgunned or, overpowered. The tiny fish are fun and the bigger gills and crappie REALLY fight.

I got the rod for like 60 bucks from AliExpress and is my favorite rod. Tsurinoya Ares is the rod. It is purple with a cork handle.
I have this same rod. I thought this rod was a slow action or noodle compared to my other rods. I bought it after watching your youtube videos. It will definitely be a blast to fish for bluegills with. May even take it on my trip to the smokies in a couple weeks.
Mike P.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed May 27, 2020 5:00 pm

prybis wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 1:56 pm
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:

I have this same rod. I thought this rod was a slow action or noodle compared to my other rods. I bought it after watching your youtube videos. It will definitely be a blast to fish for bluegills with. May even take it on my trip to the smokies in a couple weeks.
The rod is pretty slow but, the braid will help make it "faster". I love it for pretty much everything...within reason.

Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Knotty » Wed May 27, 2020 8:18 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion but I already have a similarly designed 5’ Kuying Teton. Really wanted to get as close to or under 4’ as possible.

Regarding the action, I expect it to have a soft tip but the telescopic taper might make it a bit stiffer than ideal but the 6’ version actually has a nice bend to it, so who knows.
Last edited by Knotty on Wed May 27, 2020 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.