Dobyns Sierra Ultra Finesse Casting Rods

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Dobyns Sierra Ultra Finesse Casting Rods

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:07 pm

Amir_zwara wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:51 pm
slimjim1135 wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:41 pm
Amir, speaking of the trout and panfish tapers, any chance you can bend Dobyns ear to get one or two of these trout blanks put into a casting setup? I like the trout and panfish action a lot. It's faster than the average whippy trout noodle, but slower than the Ultra Finesse and something like a 6' would make an excellent addition to the lineup for creeks, as well as trout fishing.
I think we're more likely to see some additions to the Sierra Ultra Finesse line, new lengths and actions.
I sure hope so. That would be awesome. Keeping the handle short too.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:51 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:07 pm
Keeping the handle short too.
Yes please, the short handle makes the 7'4" feel like a much shorter rod.

I have gotten maybe a dozen hours in with it so far and I am really liking it. The solid tip really limites what I want to do with it, but when I find something that I like it for, I really like it. So far it seems to be great for:
  • Baby Super Flukes, weightless on an Owner Finesse Twistlock 1/0
    4.8" Flickshake worms on a 1/16oz head
    Smaller 3" grubs, on a 1/8oz Darter head or t-rigged with a 1/16oz weight/Finesse Twistlock 1/0
    Don Iovino 4 1/2" Fat Boy Worms with a 1/6oz weight
I am not sold on it as a trout/panfish rod, it's got too much power in the midsection/butt and it overpowers them. I am going to take it out tomorrow for some inshore fishing for white perch and see how it does for that.

Amir_zwara
Angler
Angler

Post by Amir_zwara » Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:53 pm

Houndfish wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:51 pm
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:07 pm
Keeping the handle short too.
Yes please, the short handle makes the 7'4" feel like a much shorter rod.

I have gotten maybe a dozen hours in with it so far and I am really liking it. The solid tip really limites what I want to do with it, but when I find something that I like it for, I really like it. So far it seems to be great for:
  • Baby Super Flukes, weightless on an Owner Finesse Twistlock 1/0
    4.8" Flickshake worms on a 1/16oz head
    Smaller 3" grubs, on a 1/8oz Darter head or t-rigged with a 1/16oz weight/Finesse Twistlock 1/0
    Don Iovino 4 1/2" Fat Boy Worms with a 1/6oz weight
I am not sold on it as a trout/panfish rod, it's got too much power in the midsection/butt and it overpowers them. I am going to take it out tomorrow for some inshore fishing for white perch and see how it does for that.
I agree, it's a bass rod, that can double for trout/panfish if you happen to get one on. It's not the rod I would grab it I planned on targeting creek trout specifically.

I definitely feel it has enough give for trebles though.
I've been throwing an Imakatsu iArrow 65f around with it lately and have no issues with hooking up and keeping them pinned.

The Greek
Angler
Angler

Post by The Greek » Sat May 22, 2021 3:23 pm

Has anyone used both the 7’ and the 7’4”? I have and absolutely love the 7’ but am thinking of grabbing the 7’4”. Wondering if the longer rod is just as fast and not just longer and sloppier?

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:36 pm

Hey Amir,

Just to let you know that your post had part of its intended effect. I ordered the 7' 4" this weekend to see what the positive fuss is all about. I don't know if I actually need one but was intrigued enough to get one to swing around and see what the blank is like. :D

amso4
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by amso4 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:01 pm

First day out with the 7' 4" UFCR paired with 20 Daiwa Alphas Air TW with 6lb Tatsu. Started out bombing a ¼ oz OSP Tiny Blitz. The rod and reel threw the bait a long way. Did not get any takers so I went to finesse. Put on a weightless weedless Neko hook and a Zoom finesse worm wacky rigged. Threw around wood and rocks and go 2. Didn't skip very well, although I am not the best at skipping. Then put on 5" Senko and that was the ticket. Got 3 more and was able to skip it pretty easily.

I really enjoyed the new setup even catching 2-3lb bass. Toward the end of the day I was able to really whip the Senko around and get it just where I wanted it. Lots of fun, compared to my normal spinning setup for Wacky rigs.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:13 pm

amso4 wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:01 pm
First day out with the 7' 4" UFCR paired with 20 Daiwa Alphas Air TW with 6lb Tatsu. Started out bombing a ¼ oz OSP Tiny Blitz. The rod and reel threw the bait a long way. Did not get any takers so I went to finesse. Put on a weightless weedless Neko hook and a Zoom finesse worm wacky rigged. Threw around wood and rocks and go 2. Didn't skip very well, although I am not the best at skipping. Then put on 5" Senko and that was the ticket. Got 3 more and was able to skip it pretty easily.

I really enjoyed the new setup even catching 2-3lb bass. Toward the end of the day I was able to really whip the Senko around and get it just where I wanted it. Lots of fun, compared to my normal spinning setup for Wacky rigs.
I really like the rod for skipping. I didn't think much of skipping using the Curado BFS on it but, it works VERY well. The Dobyns exceeded my expectations and is a very versatile rod for sure

Amir_zwara
Angler
Angler

Post by Amir_zwara » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:40 pm

The Greek wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 3:23 pm
Has anyone used both the 7’ and the 7’4”? I have and absolutely love the 7’ but am thinking of grabbing the 7’4”. Wondering if the longer rod is just as fast and not just longer and sloppier?
They both have the same solid carbon tip, the added length on the 740c comes in at the butt end. It really just give you a little more reach and leverage. That said... I grab the 700c dang near every time I go out on the water, it's just so "flickable" and fun to fish with.
ultralight wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:36 pm
Hey Amir,

Just to let you know that your post had part of its intended effect. I ordered the 7' 4" this weekend to see what the positive fuss is all about. I don't know if I actually need one but was intrigued enough to get one to swing around and see what the blank is like. :D
I really hope you enjoy the crap out of that rod, and hopefully you got a good deal with all the sales last weekend! Drop us some feedback here when you get some time with it.
amso4 wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:01 pm

The rod handles big fish really well, but still let's you catch the smaller ones and really enjoy the fight.
As for skipping....
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:13 pm

I really like the rod for skipping. I didn't think much of skipping using the Curado BFS on it but, it works VERY well. The Dobyns exceeded my expectations and is a very versatile rod for sure
I've seen video of Hobie-Wan skipping with the SA700c paired to the Curado BFS and holy moly he is good :D

FYI- We're working on some shorter lengths for this series. No ETA at all, or even guarantee that it'll happen, but we're actively on it.

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:55 pm

Resurrecting an old thread.

It seems that last year's SA7XXC series is replaced by the SUF7XXC series? What is the difference? Does the SUF still have the soft solid tip?

Curious.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:32 am

ultralight wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:55 pm

It seems that last year's SA7XXC series is replaced by the SUF7XXC series? What is the difference? Does the SUF still have the soft solid tip?

Curious.
From what I gathered, only the model number changed. Probably to designate the solid tip casting rods from the other Sierra rods.

Amir_zwara
Angler
Angler

Post by Amir_zwara » Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:44 am

ultralight wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:55 pm

Curious.
Hobie-Wan is correct. Only the model lettering changed, to help differentiate it from the standard Sierra series.
The Sierra Ultra Finesse are a completely different blank build, and there was some confusion on the consumer side about that.

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:28 pm

Thanks! Are they out of stock or readily available?

Thanks again. Hobie, you still liking your 7 footer?

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:36 pm

ultralight wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:28 pm

I really like it. It is more of a traditional bass BFS instead of those trout magnet noodles everybody hypes up nowadays. The Dobyns is a functional tool to catch bass around mild cover with finesse lures. It does well for walleye and such too. I got a huge pile on it a while back. I never felt like I was super outgunned. The butt half is "stout" and the rest transitions well into the tip.

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:20 pm

Thanks. By the way, enjoy your videos and 'like' them. :)

Amir_zwara
Angler
Angler

Post by Amir_zwara » Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:49 am

ultralight wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:28 pm

Sorry for the late reply.
Shipping delays have really slowed things down as far as keeping them readily available.
That said, right now, I do have a small quantity of the 740c in stock through my bfs shop. Feel free to DM me if you need help finding it 👍