Dobyns Sierra Ultra Finesse Casting Rods

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Dobyns Sierra Ultra Finesse Casting Rods

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:31 pm

That reel seat in the pic above has the threads trimmed about 3/8". This leaves no exposed threads when a reel is mounted, which is the way I want a rod to be. That does indicate that the rear grip is approximately 9 1/2" from butt to back edge of reel seat. This is how I want rod grip length to be indicated, since there's no standard length on reel seats. I know where a rod will fall along my forearm if I know that specific butt-to-reel-seat length.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Amir_zwara
Angler
Angler

Post by Amir_zwara » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:59 pm

I like the short threads as well. Visually clean with a reel installed.
I can try and get some pics under load when time allows. What weight weights should I use?
Last edited by Amir_zwara on Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:05 am

Amir_zwara wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:59 pm
I liked the short threads as well. Visually clean with a reel installed.
I can try and get some pics under load when time allows. What weight weights should I use?
Each end of the it's range would be ideal, but even it just loaded by hand would be fine, I am mostly looking to get an idea of how the tip behaves in relation to the top half of the blank.

Thanks!

Amir_zwara
Angler
Angler

Post by Amir_zwara » Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:12 am

I'm no photographer, sorry, and I'm not setup to do this scientifically.... But I gave it a shot.
This is on the prototype model I have on hand at the moment. Exact same blank, but number of and spacing on guides is different. My production model is on loan.
The holder slipped a little in the last pic, but it still gives you what you're looking for I think.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:12 pm

Amir_zwara wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:12 am

Thanks, That’s exactly what I was looking for. That last picture has sold me on one, the 7’4” should make a great light inshore rod.

Amir_zwara
Angler
Angler

Post by Amir_zwara » Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:26 pm

Houndfish wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:12 pm

Thanks, That’s exactly what I was looking for. That last picture has sold me on one, the 7’4” should make a great light inshore rod.
No problem, happy to help. Let us know how it works for you, I don't think anyone has used one in anything but freshwater so far.
What do you inshore guys like to use for reels? Typical bfs or something different?

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:00 am

Amir_zwara wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:26 pm
Houndfish wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:12 pm

No problem, happy to help. Let us know how it works for you, I don't think anyone has used one in anything but freshwater so far.
What do you inshore guys like to use for reels? Typical bfs or something different?
In my case, I am fishing tidal rivers that feed the Chesapeake Bay, so the salinity levels are very low as compared to the Atlantic. So far I have been living dangerously and using Pixies, always taking care to rinse off my reels and open them up for a full clean more often.

Amir_zwara
Angler
Angler

Post by Amir_zwara » Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:11 pm

Was able to get a comparison of the Dobyns tip (R) to a Major Craft Speedstyle 64ul/bf (L).

FryDog_62
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by FryDog_62 » Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:06 pm

Amir, now that we're Feb 1 any ideas when these rods will be in stock at outlets like TW, ALFC, etc?

Amir_zwara
Angler
Angler

Post by Amir_zwara » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:51 pm

To the best of my knowledge they're currently on a ship, along with the whole new Kaden series of rods, on their way over and expected at some point this month.
I have no idea what Dobyns' plans are for distribution to retailers. I know the initial shipment in December sold out quickly through the Dobyns Rods website.
My suggestion is to call Dobyns HQ and see if you could backorder one.

FryDog_62
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by FryDog_62 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:29 pm

I have a credit at one of those retailers so am hoping it will be in stock soon... UPDATE: are able to order rods as backorder now if you pay for them, puts you in line first for when they arrive👍

Amir_zwara
Angler
Angler

Post by Amir_zwara » Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:14 am

They are expected to arrive at Dobyns HQ some time next week.
No confirmation on what retailers will carry them.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:58 pm

Oh wow...will be watching for these. =D>
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:03 pm

Total weight is ~0.22oz.

Anyone with time on these rods think the 7'4" one would be able to both make long ass casts and give solid hooksets with a rig like this? I want to use the rod for both some light inshsore (1/8-3/16oz spoons and spinners) and some fw river fishing usings grubs on a dart head. A lot of the rivers I fish are full of wood, so I would like to be able to make the weedless option work.

Amir_zwara
Angler
Angler

Post by Amir_zwara » Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:09 pm

.22oz is a little over 6grams.... it'll absolutely fly on the 7'4"

Thin wire hook, texposed, you'll be good. No thick wires, don't bury the point too deep.