Ajing rods for rigs under 1 g?

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
ras
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Ajing rods for rigs under 1 g?

Post by ras » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:38 pm

Hello,

Been lurking here for some time... I'm searching for ultralight ajing/ mebaru rods to handle rigs under 1 g (primarily jig heads). Wanted to see if anyone here had experience with any of the following:

Clear Blue Crystar 56 Finder
DUO Tetra Works React 55
Evergreen SPRS-60XUL-S (possibly)

I would greatly appreciate any comments. I figured I'd be more likely to get some hits with the Superior, it being part of the more popular line-up, but I was especially curious about the first two.

Regards,
ras

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Ajing rods for rigs under 1 g?

Post by Alphahawk » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:25 am

I do not own any of those rods but am familiar with the Ever Green. Any of those rods you have listed will do you just fine.....personally, out of the list I would go with the Ever Green. But there are many rods that can handle under 1 gram jigs.

Regards

ras
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ras » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:36 am

Thanks for the comment. Any particular reason you'd go with the Superior?
I have several JDM UL rods, ajing and mebaru, with upper ratings in the 3–5 g range, but none of them handle jig heads under 1 g well, in my opinion. I'd be curious to read your suggestions.

ftl1951
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ftl1951 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:22 pm

I have an Evergreen Superior SPRS-64UL-T Sharp cut that handles less than 1g jig heads very well. I am throwing primarily a .8 gram jig head on 2.3 lb ester line and it casts very efficiently. I also throw the same rig on an Abu Garcia Eradicator Real Finesse 6’7” Slow Taper Special and the 6’9” Slow Taper and they cast the jig head on ester like a bullet. I think the ester line makes a big difference in cast ability as when I use fluorocarbon, it still casts really well, but not with the same distance.

I cannot speak to the other rods because I don’t have those brands.

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:17 pm

ras wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:36 am
Thanks for the comment. Any particular reason you'd go with the Superior?
I have several JDM UL rods, ajing and mebaru, with upper ratings in the 3–5 g range, but none of them handle jig heads under 1 g well, in my opinion. I'd be curious to read your suggestions.
I have been researching the Ever Green Salty Sensation series a long time...just have never bought one. Of course the Superior lineup is the new new model of those rods. I went with the Superior because of Ever Green reputation....and I know 3 who have them and they are very impressed. Plus I stayed within the 3 rods listed. The rods you have listed are certainly at the top end. But there are others that can handle the less than 1 gram with great results. As has already been mentioned the Abu Garcia Slow Taper Special. While it is not actually "Made in Japan" it is one of the finest rods I own for sensitivity....cast-ability.....and steeliness. Not to mention the fun factor is great. The Abu Garcia Eradicator series of rods are really a hybrid between an ajing and mebaru rod....and I have to tell you that owning 2 rods that are considered hybrid light game rods I much prefer them over a true ajing rod. An exception to that for me might be the Ever Green Superior Limber Tip. I am curious as to what is the intended specie you are targeting with ajing rods?

Regards

ras
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ras » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:17 pm

Thanks for the replies, I certainly appreciate all the opinions. I should've given a bit more background for my question. I have some experience fishing JDM UL rods and generally agree that many can handle jig heads under 1 g. You can fish them without much of an issue. Of those that I have fished, Rockin Finesse from Tict is probably the one that does a very decent job, though it is not the best when it comes to sensitivity, in my opinion. With that said, I am not looking for another rod that can handle these light lures, I am looking for a rod that specializes in them. I've done some research on the three rods listed, they look good for this purpose and there are some comments on the web that make me hopeful. But the information is very scarce, making it hard to commit without getting more feedback. Hence my post...

I am using mostly 0.06-0.2 PE on my UL rods, also 1-2.3 lbs ester, but less frequently. I never use FC as my main line. I have one of the Superiors and it is an incredibly sensitive rod, tuned for its intended purposes, as was previously mentioned in this forum by others. So I am a more comfortable with SPRS-60XUL-S, but the Clear Blue and the Duo seem to take the UL to the next level of lightness and sensitivity, according to some very limited accounts.

I do not have any rods from the Eradicator series, are they really tuned to operate near the bottom of their lure ratings?

I will use the rod for its intended purposes – small mackerel and tiny rockfish – when fishing from artificial structures at the shore.

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:02 am

ras wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:17 pm
Thanks for the replies, I certainly appreciate all the opinions. I should've given a bit more background for my question. I have some experience fishing JDM UL rods and generally agree that many can handle jig heads under 1 g. You can fish them without much of an issue. Of those that I have fished, Rockin Finesse from Tict is probably the one that does a very decent job, though it is not the best when it comes to sensitivity, in my opinion. With that said, I am not looking for another rod that can handle these light lures, I am looking for a rod that specializes in them. I've done some research on the three rods listed, they look good for this purpose and there are some comments on the web that make me hopeful. But the information is very scarce, making it hard to commit without getting more feedback. Hence my post...

I am using mostly 0.06-0.2 PE on my UL rods, also 1-2.3 lbs ester, but less frequently. I never use FC as my main line. I have one of the Superiors and it is an incredibly sensitive rod, tuned for its intended purposes, as was previously mentioned in this forum by others. So I am a more comfortable with SPRS-60XUL-S, but the Clear Blue and the Duo seem to take the UL to the next level of lightness and sensitivity, according to some very limited accounts.

I do not have any rods from the Eradicator series, are they really tuned to operate near the bottom of their lure ratings?

I will use the rod for its intended purposes – small mackerel and tiny rockfish – when fishing from artificial structures at the shore.
Of course I have no experience at all with the intended specie. But the Eradicator 67 Slow Taper is more suited for the low end rating it has. It is rated for up to 10 grams but in my experience with it that rating is way too high for the rod. Of course this is only my opinion but seeing your intended specie I would stick with one of the 3 rods you mentioned. Do you have a purchase link for the Clear Blue and Duo rod. The Duo has my interest now....LOL.

Regards

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:20 am

I've handled (not fished) and measured 4 of the Eradicators including the 6' 7" and are VERY impressed by them. I don't have the 6' 9" but would go with FTL's comment. The 6' 9" is even lighter power than the 6' 7" at XUL. The only rub is that it is not an ajing action (fast).

ras
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ras » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:51 am

The Duo is indeed the one of particular interest to me. Someone told me that it is the most delicate of the three. It probably isn't a true ajing rod, more of a hybrid. That someone did not fish that rod, but had heard from somebody else. Hearsay... Most of my JDM tackle was acquired based on a hearsay though. I've been told that the Clear Blue would be the really "steely" one of the three. I should note that I'm not sure if those purported differences are substantial, because all of those rods use the same or very similar combination of materials: 30 t for the bat and 24 t for the top section with solid tips (seems to be 24 t as well). Nanoalloy, varying content of T1100G.

The Duo is hard to find, I do not know if it is in stock right now. The Clear Blue can be found on eBay, also at Otsuka Pro Shops. (I do not know the forum's policy on links, sorry). Neither has widespread availability though.

Many rods in the Eradicator model series appear to be somewhat unique, very interesting...

FinesseAnglers
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by FinesseAnglers » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:53 am

I have the superior Limber tip and it can cast a 1g with no issues. As many have said it is extremely sensitive and a lot of fun to use. Landed a6.2lb trout last weekend. That was fun! The superior has an incredible reputation and thin the 6' will not disappoint you.

Jay

ras
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ras » Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:25 pm

Thanks, All. I think I will wait for the just-announced SPRS-56XUL-S Twiggy to come out in May and will revisit this question...

TravisNY
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TravisNY » Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:47 pm

Legit Design has that covered. There may very well be some available here soon.