JDM rod similar to TSR 801-2?

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
oops
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

JDM rod similar to TSR 801-2?

Post by oops » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:41 am

I'd like to gift a friend my TSR801-2 and get myself an upgrade. I'm addicted to tackle of all kinds, but already have enough premium equipment for a hundred lifetimes and I'm too lazy to sell any of it, so gifting it to friends or fishing with them is the only way I can rationalize getting more.

Nothing wrong with the rod really. It's just that it's a $300 stick and my 612 corto18 is like a $200 stick and clearly a higher build quality, so I'd like to try a softer jdm rod out in that price range. Despite being so light, the corto has a lot of power behind it and though I know there are plenty of much more pricey options out there, I dont feel the need to experiment with them. For fishing vertically/semi vertically and twitching tiny tubes and bluegill fishing in general, it is the rod for me. If I dont break it, I'm not replacing it. When I'm casting and retrieving 2 inch grubs on 1/32-1/16 jigheads or small spoons and spinners in the 1-3 gram range, I like the softer rod. To be honest, the TSR801-2 may be a hair too soft and noodley, but it is more or less what I'm looking for in this type of rod to target a slightly wider variety of species on moving lures. I need it to be able to handle bluegill, crappie and bass in the 1lb range, along with 14" trout with ease, while letting me battle the occasional larger fish but without taking the fun out of smaller fish.

I know that's a lot to ask out of a rod but the TSR comes pretty close to doing that for me already. I mostly just wish the action was a tiny bit faster and that the rod was a little lighter and more sensitive. What are some 2 piece JDM offerings in the $300ish and under price range that might fit the bill for me? I imagine area trout rods are mostly what I'm looking for here.

ras
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: JDM rod similar to TSR 801-2?

Post by ras » Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:24 pm

Sounds like you need a very long mebaru rod, probably with soft solid tip to handle rigs down to 1/32 oz very well. These usually have plenty of bat power, so occasional bonus shouldn't be a problem. They aren't too common, but you can usually find a model or two in the line-up of your typical manufacturer of ajing/ mebaring rods. Shimano Soare Xtune 709ULS comes to mind, but that model is long out of production. I'm sure Daiwa/ Shimano/ Olympic/ Tict/ Yamaga/ Ares all have something to offer in the current market, though I don't have any recent experiences. You might also consider a shorter length, I doubt you'll lose anything in the casting distance.

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:25 pm

This is hard one....due to rod length. I only stepped into long rods once and it turned out wrong. I bought a Blue Current TZ 8' 3" Long Cast. This was years back and I had little experience with JDM rods. It was way too rigid for what I was wanting to do with it. I would look at the ERD REAL FINESSE ERFS-73SULT-ST-TZ -Slow Taper Special 7' 3" rod. While it is not at the length you want I think it fits the bill exactly for what you want to do. Now area trout rods are great...I own a bunch of them...but you will not find any at the 7 foot mark or above. Most will be in the 6 foot range and the longest will be around 6' 6" mark.

Regards

oops
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by oops » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:37 pm

The TSR801-2 is only 6'8" guys :) Looking for something roughly that length, though I'm not opposed to something as short as 6'.

Took the TSR with me today rigged with a 1/16oz road runner and 2" Kalin's grub to the place I've been fishing for bass since I caught an exceptional crappie on my last trip on a swimbait and wanted to see if I could find more of them. The crappie didn't come out to play but I did manage 6 bass on it, with 4 of them over 12" and the biggest around 15" or so I'd guess. I do like how the rod plays fish, but it's frustrating not being certain whether I have a bite or have bumped some structure as this is basically my only regularly used rod that I have this problem with.

My friend has already purchased a St Croix rod that I'm sure he'll be happy with, so I don't know what my excuse is to replace the TSR now, but I'm pretty sure it's happening anyway :D

The truth of the matter is that there's no world in which I'd consider the TSR 801-2 to be a fast action rod despite its rating, and I do believe that is what I'm looking for here. The primary bait used will be the exact one I used today, though I will also throw the occasional spoon, spinner, or other bait.

I've looked at enough mebaru vs area trout rods and feel like the very wide lure weight range many mebaru rods have means that they will be a bit more noodley and parabolic than what I am looking for, and hoping that the area trout rods in general will have some offerings that are more what I'm interested in.

The amount of great looking JDM rods is frankly overwhelming, but since I have enjoyed the Corto so much, the primary rod on my radar right now is the 21 Belezza Prototype 612UL, though I don't even know how I'd go about acquiring it. It appears as though it may not even be available for sale yet?

And Alphahawk, I just wanted to thank you so much for the content you create. I've learned more than I ever thought possible about UL fishing through your channel. While it's not the way I spend the majority of my fishing time, it is the way of fishing that brings me the most joy, and I wish there were more good opportunities to do it in my area.

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:57 am

oops wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:37 pm
The TSR801-2 is only 6'8" guys :) Looking for something roughly that length, though I'm not opposed to something as short as 6'.

Took the TSR with me today rigged with a 1/16oz road runner and 2" Kalin's grub to the place I've been fishing for bass since I caught an exceptional crappie on my last trip on a swimbait and wanted to see if I could find more of them. The crappie didn't come out to play but I did manage 6 bass on it, with 4 of them over 12" and the biggest around 15" or so I'd guess. I do like how the rod plays fish, but it's frustrating not being certain whether I have a bite or have bumped some structure as this is basically my only regularly used rod that I have this problem with.

My friend has already purchased a St Croix rod that I'm sure he'll be happy with, so I don't know what my excuse is to replace the TSR now, but I'm pretty sure it's happening anyway :D

The truth of the matter is that there's no world in which I'd consider the TSR 801-2 to be a fast action rod despite its rating, and I do believe that is what I'm looking for here. The primary bait used will be the exact one I used today, though I will also throw the occasional spoon, spinner, or other bait.

I've looked at enough mebaru vs area trout rods and feel like the very wide lure weight range many mebaru rods have means that they will be a bit more noodley and parabolic than what I am looking for, and hoping that the area trout rods in general will have some offerings that are more what I'm interested in.

The amount of great looking JDM rods is frankly overwhelming, but since I have enjoyed the Corto so much, the primary rod on my radar right now is the 21 Belezza Prototype 612UL, though I don't even know how I'd go about acquiring it. It appears as though it may not even be available for sale yet?

And Alphahawk, I just wanted to thank you so much for the content you create. I've learned more than I ever thought possible about UL fishing through your channel. While it's not the way I spend the majority of my fishing time, it is the way of fishing that brings me the most joy, and I wish there were more good opportunities to do it in my area.
Thanks much for the kind words. The Belezza Prototype is also on my radar...but...as you say, can't find one.

Regards

ras
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ras » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:04 am

To my knowledge, new Bellezza Prototype will be released midsummer.

ftl1951
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ftl1951 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:39 am

ras wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:04 am
To my knowledge, new Bellezza Prototype will be released midsummer.
Some preorders from Japanese sites are underway. Advertised release date of June 30...

oops
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by oops » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:02 pm

Preordered the Bellezza Prototype 612 but just got an email that the expected release date has moved from June 30 to February 2022. Covid related problems I imagine. Guess I'm on the search for something else now. Wonder if there's any chance that it will end up releasing anywhere near the initial estimated release date. It looks so perfect for what I want that I really hate the idea of canceling the preorder