SUL Spin & BFS Outing

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

SUL Spin & BFS Outing

Post by Knotty » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:01 am

Took the kayak out on a new lake, here in NJ, armed with two setups. Spinning: Major Craft Finetail Area Stage with Shimano Soare BB lined with Varivas 2.2# ester and 4# Kovert flouro leader. Casting: Major Craft Days BFS with a Shimano Aldebaran BFS XG lined with 8# Fireline & 8# Kovert flouro leader.

Spinning would see just one lure for the day, a 1.9" Nikko pin worm on a .9 g Decoy SV-56 jig head. It would also produce the most exciting result, but I'm getting ahead of myself.

The primary rig for BFS was a Texas rigged TRD on a size 1 EWG hook with a 2 g cheburashka weight. In shallow water I switched to a 3.1 g Tsurinoya pencil popper to mix it up a bit. Scored pretty quickly on the TRD with a nice little largemouth at the bank.

An hour later the biggest bass on BFS took the bait. Nice fight on the MC Days.

Even sunfish couldn't resist the TRD.

Most of the day's bass were fairly small, like this one on the pencil popper, but that's why I love BFS...still a fun fight.

As my day neared an end I just wanted to spend time catching gills on SUL. Fishing the pin worm over and around milfoil produced a good number of them, but typical of fishing small, anything may take the bait. Next thing I know something big starts pulling drag. Now with 2# ester, the drag is set so low that even small gills can activate the clicker but I'm talking about continuous clicking and a deep bend in the MC area rod. The milfoil posed some concern but I've learned that as long as you don't rush things, you can get most bass to hand on light line from a boat. This big girl put up an excellent fight and provided the perfect ending to my day on the water.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: SUL Spin & BFS Outing

Post by Dalleinf » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:32 pm

Thx for story and pictures. I gotta get to the water...

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Sat May 01, 2021 7:59 am

I know that was a battle...congrats!

Regards

Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Knotty » Sun May 02, 2021 11:23 pm

Alphahawk wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 7:59 am
I know that was a battle...congrats!

Regards
Thanks. If anyone knows how careful you have to be with a big fish on ester it's you Randy.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon May 17, 2021 8:37 am

Awesome