Quality UL Underspins?

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Quality UL Underspins?

Post by bronzefly » Mon May 03, 2021 6:11 am

Anyone have any suggestions for some quality UL underspin baits?
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Quality UL Underspins?

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon May 03, 2021 6:58 am

Not really quality, I used to make mine, buy Road Runners, then glue a matching white 2" grub on there really good. They stopped selling the purple crazy glue that dried clear though, and I swore by it.
As far as quality UL ones, my dad ordered some Amazon ones not long ago, odd head shape but the hooks were actually fairly sharp and they spin well. He buys cheap tackle, so I know they weren't quality, but ironically they worked okay.

Siggywiggy
Angler
Angler

Post by Siggywiggy » Mon May 03, 2021 11:52 am

bronzefly wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 6:11 am
Anyone have any suggestions for some quality UL underspin baits?
Not strictly underspin but Duo Spearhead RYUKI SPIN might fill the blank for you - its a tail spinner

Westcoast
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Westcoast » Mon May 03, 2021 2:41 pm

I like to use the cool baits ones. They work great on the small Keitechs and spark shads. For weed less I use the owner flashy swimmers.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon May 03, 2021 10:57 pm

Westcoast wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 2:41 pm
I like to use the cool baits ones. They work great on the small Keitechs and spark shads. For weed less I use the owner flashy swimmers.
This

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue May 04, 2021 8:12 am

I agree with the cool baits being awesome underspins, as well as the Flashy Swimmers being great, but I thought we were talking UL like 1/8 and less weight? Or for Crappie size plastics? That is what is so hard to find.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Tue May 04, 2021 10:12 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 8:12 am
I agree with the cool baits being awesome underspins, as well as the Flashy Swimmers being great, but I thought we were talking UL like 1/8 and less weight? Or for Crappie size plastics? That is what is so hard to find.
I agree that the cool baits and flashy swimmers are great 1/8 oz options. I'd like to find similar quality 1/16 oz option if one exists!
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Tue May 04, 2021 12:55 pm

The Do-It underspin mold goes down to 1/16. This is a type of lure that you will usually lose a lot of because of the open hook. They are really easy to make. The Coolbaits are way overpriced. You will fish the baits more effectively if you are not so worried about loosing them. Lurepartsonline has a couple of premade 1/16 ounce and bigger baits that are a small fraction of the Coolbaits price.

oops
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by oops » Tue May 04, 2021 4:22 pm

Road Runners are the easiest option. The regular ones go down to 1/32oz and the pro 2.0 go down to 1/16oz. Hooks on the regular ones are pretty bad and need to be sharpened. Hooks on the pro 2.0 ones are good but there is a lead collar that I'd cut off and glue baits on instead. If you are a precise person, know that my experience is that the weight accounts for only the lead used in the head, so the hook, swivel and blade add a decent amount more weight.

You can get custom made "pony head" jigs on the auction site at a variety of weights with a variety of hook sizes and types.

I would probably have to go have my head examined if I ever bought the $6 coolbaits underspins to actually use on UL gear. On 6-8lb spinning bass setups, sure. Those can actually handle some serious fish easily. Using true UL gear and true 2-4lb test, myself and many others would be looking at $100 worth of jigheads fishing days. Their lightest jig is also 1/8oz which I personally wouldn't consider UL.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Tue May 04, 2021 6:17 pm

Agreed, the 1/8 oz options are "light" bass gear, not UL, but the quality of hooks and swivels in those two baits is what I'm hoping to find in something 1/16 and/or under without having to make my own. Those do-it molds are appealing though as I used to make a lot of jigs, shaky heads, jig heads, etc. back when I had more idle time on my hands :lol: I have the opportunity to fish some well stocked ponds with growing and quality panfish (and bass 8-) ) and even though it isn't absolutely necessary, I really like high quality hooks, swivels, and design. I don't mind to pay more for those things either... I may check out the pro 2.0 to see if they are a good step up from the regular road runner which just isn't what I'm looking for here.

Todd - I did see some of those 1/16 baits on Lure Parts and I may grab a few of those in the meantime as they are the best looking ones I've seen to hit that mark.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed May 05, 2021 6:12 pm

bronzefly wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 6:17 pm
Agreed, the 1/8 oz options are "light" bass gear, not UL, but the quality of hooks and swivels in those two baits is what I'm hoping to find in something 1/16 and/or under without having to make my own. Those do-it molds are appealing though as I used to make a lot of jigs, shaky heads, jig heads, etc. back when I had more idle time on my hands :lol: I have the opportunity to fish some well stocked ponds with growing and quality panfish (and bass 8-) ) and even though it isn't absolutely necessary, I really like high quality hooks, swivels, and design. I don't mind to pay more for those things either... I may check out the pro 2.0 to see if they are a good step up from the regular road runner which just isn't what I'm looking for here.

Todd - I did see some of those 1/16 baits on Lure Parts and I may grab a few of those in the meantime as they are the best looking ones I've seen to hit that mark.
Don't forget to pick up a few Jackall Derabreaks while you're at it.

oops
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by oops » Wed May 05, 2021 7:17 pm

bronzefly wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 6:17 pm
Do note that the 1/16 underspins on Lure Parts (at least when I last looked) are only available with #2 or maybe #4 hooks. #4 will work on bluegill but imo is not ideal. I personally think the sweet spot is #6 or #8. #2 is just fine for bass and crappie but not really suitable at all when bluegill is a primary target.

It's a bummer that there aren't readily available options on the market for quality UL underspins. I imagine the Road Runner patent is the biggest issue. It's a shame the Road Runner isn't even close to the quality of components I would like to use, but I feel stuck with them just due to the convenience.

Bay_Bassin86
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bay_Bassin86 » Sun May 16, 2021 7:34 pm

I believe Sierra Slammers makes some small underspins

Finesse Angler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Finesse Angler » Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:40 pm

If you haven’t already found some you like the magbite kurukuru blading jigheads are really nice quality jdm under spins. They have a size 8 hook and a unlike head shape.

Firstoutfisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Firstoutfisher » Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:32 pm

Zappu makes a tiny underspin called the bredy