BFS reel for those who don't go low

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

BFS reel for those who don't go low

Post by Knotty » Wed May 05, 2021 12:25 pm

As a fly and ultralight spin angler, I got into BFS trying to go as low as possible. Low as in low lure weight. Started with an inexpensive Aliexpress reel and then a pricey Aldebaran BFS XG, followed by other cheapies. Learned that with the right rod, most any well designed BFS reel can cast 2 g or 1/16 oz. The right setup can do 1 g or 1/32 oz but it's not fun.

I don't own any standard baitcast reels, so I have little understanding of their limitations, but recently decided I wanted to get a reel for heavier (to me) lures and line. After seeing a couple excellent reviews of the Fishband Clamber CR-HM06 Hyper Micro , I ordered the CR150 Long Shot version, expecting that both reels are essentially the same except for the spool.

Put Kastking 20# braid (which I dislike as it seems thick for 20#) on the reel with an 8# flouro leader and tied on a Ned rig, which comes in a bit over 5 g. Despite the heavy braid, I had no problems casting the Ned on a fast action ML rod. Have now made hundreds of casts on that setup without issue. Also tried a 3.1 g pencil popper that proved castable but not enjoyable. Maybe with a lighter rod and lighter line?

Point is, I see many people venturing in to BFS who state they have no intent of casting under 5 g. I think the Fishband Clamber CR150 Long Shot might be a good option for them as it handles that weight well yet has a spool with much greater capacity than BFS reels. It will hold 200 m of .205 mm line or 160 m of .235 mm. One of the best features is that it has a drag clicker!

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: BFS reel for those who don't go low

Post by LowRange » Mon May 17, 2021 8:34 am

That's actually my most commonly used BFS reel is one that is meant for bass baits and actually has some useable line capacity. Alphas SV, Pixies, Shimano MGL ext. The micro capacity super UL reels are more of a subset of BFS. Your quintessential BFS rig was something like a Majorcraft Volkey BFS L and an Alphas KTF with 7# flouro.

Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Knotty » Fri May 21, 2021 10:21 am

LowRange wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 8:34 am
That's actually my most commonly used BFS reel is one that is meant for bass baits and actually has some useable line capacity. Alphas SV, Pixies, Shimano MGL ext. The micro capacity super UL reels are more of a subset of BFS. Your quintessential BFS rig was something like a Majorcraft Volkey BFS L and an Alphas KTF with 7# flouro.
I can definitely see how if you're targeting just bass, these types of reels are all you might need.

Also, examining the Fishband Clamber Long Shot I see that there are differences between it and the Hyper Micro. On the Hyper Micro, the magnets are on a faceplate with a pivot, allowing them to move closer to the face plate of the reel when it's spinning fast, due to the Lenz effect. Similar in concept to how Shimano FTB magnets are on an arm that rotates out in that situation. EDIT: I'm wrong on this. The Long Shot and Hyper Micro have the same, non-dynamic, brakes. The pivoting faceplate turns out to be a mod someone on Facebook was playing around with.
Last edited by Knotty on Thu May 27, 2021 8:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri May 21, 2021 10:23 am

I been liking the Curado BFS and SLX BFS for those "non-UL" BFS applications. Cast great, not very expensive and seem to be built tough.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri May 21, 2021 10:40 am

Knotty wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 10:21 am
LowRange wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 8:34 am
I can definitely see how if you're targeting just bass, these types of reels are all you might need.

Also, examining the Fishband Clamber Long Shot I see that there are differences between it and the Hyper Micro. On the Hyper Micro, the magnets are on a faceplate with a pivot, allowing them to move closer to the face plate of the reel when it's spinning fast, due to the Lenz effect. Similar in concept to how Shimano FTB magnets are on an arm that rotates out in that situation.
Kastking has a version of that same FTB brake but in Chinese manufactured form and deep spool.