Need help on a new reel

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
torm
Angler
Angler

Need help on a new reel

Post by torm » Sat May 22, 2021 5:45 pm

Hey guys, I just picked up a abu eradicator real finesse xul and was wondering whats everyone's recommendation on a spinning reel for it. I'm currently eyeing the shimano soare ci4 500 or the daiwa fw ballistic 1000. I've heard of tunes ups for the daiwa but don't plan on doing so. Any big difference between the two? I do have a vanford 1000 too so if the vanford is as good if not better than these then maybe I'll just swap my vanford over to this rod. Not trying to go for reels pass $400.

ftl1951
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Need help on a new reel

Post by ftl1951 » Sat May 22, 2021 7:14 pm

torm wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 5:45 pm
Hey guys, I just picked up a abu eradicator real finesse xul and was wondering whats everyone's recommendation on a spinning reel for it. I'm currently eyeing the shimano soare ci4 500 or the daiwa fw ballistic 1000. I've heard of tunes ups for the daiwa but don't plan on doing so. Any big difference between the two? I do have a vanford 1000 too so if the vanford is as good if not better than these then maybe I'll just swap my vanford over to this rod. Not trying to go for reels pass $400.
I use an Abu Garcia MGX Theta on mine. I have a couple of Eradicator Real Finesse rods and love them. I also use a Daiwa Ballistic FW on another of these rods with good balance and feel. I have a new Vanford and it is really nice, but the Ballistic FW is a little more refined IMO.

torm
Angler
Angler

Post by torm » Sat May 22, 2021 7:37 pm

I heard the daiwa tatula was basically a ballistic but without mag seal. How does the fw ballistic compared to the regular one if anyone knows?

ftl1951
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ftl1951 » Sat May 22, 2021 8:06 pm

torm wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 7:37 pm
I heard the daiwa tatula was basically a ballistic but without mag seal. How does the fw ballistic compared to the regular one if anyone knows?
The FW (Fresh Water) does not have the magseal but has one additional bearing. I also have a US market Ballistic LT and find it just a little less smooth than the FW. Strange, because my Tatula reels seem a bit easier on initial inertia as well over the Ballistic. Very similar in feel with the FW and Tatula.

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Sun May 23, 2021 7:54 am

I have the soare ci4 500s and had a stradic fl1000s. I sold the stradic for something lighter and picked up a luvias lt 2000s. The soare is nice however the luvias is a step up in performance over the soare and stradic. Luvias is smoother on both retrieve and drag and has better line management. It’s at a little higher price point than either of the Shimano’s ($246 vs $215 and $170) but for the little bump it’s definitely a higher tiered reel.

If you want the lightest most refined 500 size reel the soare ci4 is just that. It fits my little 5’ ajing rod better than a larger frame reel would so it’s staying right there. If I had a longer rod I’d probably opt for another luvias however.

torm
Angler
Angler

Post by torm » Sun May 23, 2021 10:30 pm

Good to know about that luvias. I'll look into that one as well.

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Mon May 24, 2021 5:49 am

I have 4 of the Daiwa Ballistic FW 1000 series reels. I added the bearing kit and I have to say it is a very good reel. I also have an Abu Garcia Revo MGX Theta 1000 reel. It is a great reel also and I use it quite often with my Slow Taper Special rod. Not only does the reel have excellent functionality it looks really good with the Eradicator line of rods. The MGX Theta is a great buy if you can find one in stock.

Regards

torm
Angler
Angler

Post by torm » Wed May 26, 2021 10:32 pm

Is the bearing kit worth the upgrade? If it is, is it hard to install it?

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Fri May 28, 2021 8:43 am

torm wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 10:32 pm
Is the bearing kit worth the upgrade? If it is, is it hard to install it?
In my opinion it is...nothing wrong with bushings I am just not a fan of them...and I will never own a reel without 2 line roller bearings.

Regards

ras
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ras » Fri May 28, 2021 9:19 pm

If you plan to use any of the suggested reels with ultralight jig heads and ultra thin ester lines, I would recommend checking out aftermarket line rollers from IOS. From my experience, stock line rollers do not rotate properly when ultra thin ester lines are paired with ultralight jig heads, because of near zero resistance during the retrieve. No matter how many bearings are packed in the line roller assembly. IOS rollers have unique surface, minimizing these issues and reducing line twist. With that said, Shimano or Daiwa stock line rollers do work great when there is appreciable resistance during the retrieve. I am not affiliated with IOS in any way.

torm
Angler
Angler

Post by torm » Sat May 29, 2021 10:07 pm

Good to know. I'll do some experimenting to see how it goes for me. Played with it for a bit with the vanford and it isn't too bad at the moment.