Favorite BFS rig...let's name it

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Freddie
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Favorite BFS rig...let's name it

Post by Freddie » Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:50 pm

Mini Ned Rig…about right between a trout magnet and a standard ned rig in size. Keitech Easy Shaker 3.5” cut in half on a 1/24 oz(1.25 g) #4 Mustad 32833 jig head. This is my confidence bait and it’s also a great multi species bait. Abu Garcia Mass Beat III/Shimano Aldebaran BFS/15# x8 PE w/ 25’ of 8# Seaguar Blue Label. Total combo weighs 7.7 oz and it’s stupid sensitive…

Freddie
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Freddie » Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:07 pm

For some perspective the Calcutta Conquest BFS reel by itself is 7.1 oz…only 17 g lighter than this combo!

Freddie
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Freddie » Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:09 pm

The total weight of this mini Ned rig is 2.5-2.8 g. It does take some special gear to cast well.

Freddie
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Freddie » Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:38 pm

To resurrect what I think is a great thread idea…

ZMan TubeZ on a #1 EWG(weedless) on a 2 gram tungsten Cheb rig is absolutely my confidence bait at the moment. It just gets bit every where by almost everything. I’ll also use a 1/16 oz jighead/ZMan TubeZ if I’m in open water as my favorite multi species bait. It also catches giants. That 2.75” TRD TubeZ may not look like much but it always seems to get bit when almost nothing else is working. I stuck two 3# and a 4# River smallmouth this spring with it in less than 30 minutes.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:04 pm

Abu Garcia Fantasista Premier Casting Rods 6'10" ml is in stock but close out an i have one on the way.
Its not an ultra light rod but i will give it a shot..

It is to be paired with this purple alphas i have with the consugi spool.. just trying something different
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:44 am

goldrod wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:04 pm
Abu Garcia Fantasista Premier Casting Rods 6'10" ml is in stock but close out an i have one on the way.

It is to be paired with this purple alphas i have with the consugi spool.. just trying something different
I have one of the Abu PLX TE rods in the 6'10"ML, it is a great rod for finesse. Throws a 1/8 drop shot great, not sure about much lighter than that though.

For my favorite BFS rig, I like a Decoy Round Magic head (3.5 or 2.5 gram) with the #4 hook and a 2" Easy Shiner. A #2 Nail Bomb w/ a 3" Easy Shiner makes a nice weedless BFS swimbait too.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:49 pm

goldrod wrote:

I just picked up the same model, but it's the Abu Garcia Fantasista Regista. It will load and handle 1/16 oz with small plastics just fine - with the right reel of course. Not the most sensitive blank I have, but definitely serviceable. Will likely upgrade eventually.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:22 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:49 pm
goldrod wrote:

I just picked up the same model, but it's the Abu Garcia Fantasista Regista. It will load and handle 1/16 oz with small plastics just fine - with the right reel of course. Not the most sensitive blank I have, but definitely serviceable. Will likely upgrade eventually.
I wonder how big of a difference will the powerlux 500 will make ?
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:56 pm

goldrod wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:22 pm
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:49 pm
goldrod wrote:

I wonder how big of a difference will the powerlux 500 will make ?
I think both models have this don't they? The new Zenon has Powerlux 1000 🤷‍♂️