$$$ UL braid? Thoughts ....

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Dannyrossjr
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

$$$ UL braid? Thoughts ....

Post by Dannyrossjr » Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:29 pm

I recently expanded my ultralight fishing by buying a nice BFS reel (alphas air tw). I’ve been using 6 pound braid (power pro). Wow it cast nice, When I wiff on a hook set, often, I run into the problem with it wrapping around the tip which is common for light braid with me. I have no problem with investing in high-quality braid like Varivas if need be. Does anybody have any experience that would lead me to believe that I won’t have the same problem? Thank you

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: $$$ UL braid? Thoughts ....

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:58 pm

You are correct. An 8 carrier braid casts smoother, is quieter and tip wraps are much less common because it is so limp relative to 4 carrier braids, such as original pp.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Knotty » Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:41 pm

I find no correlation between high priced line and less tip wraps. Happens all the time to me with braid, mono, whatever. Honestly I've played around with some very light JDM braid and mono and just don't find them to be worth the cost. On TackleTour I know that's heresy but I'm reminded of what an old friend used to say, "people will always justify their purchases."

antonv
Angler
Angler

Post by antonv » Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:51 pm

The Power Pro S8S is also an 8 carrier braid but I think the lowest is at 8lbs, you can try this one if you don't want to spend too much $. This is what I use on my Aldebaran BFS. Daiwa and Sufix also have 8 carrier braids. I get tip wraps only when I bring my lure up like before a cast, but I've never experienced it on a hookset. Maybe you should just be more careful and not have too much line slack?

Dannyrossjr
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Dannyrossjr » Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:32 pm

Thanks all. Appreciate the feedback.

TravisNY
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TravisNY » Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:36 pm

I don’t think your power pro is 6lb. They discontinued the 5lb original (I still have a 3000 yard spool). From there it jumped to 8lb. Before it there was the power pro microline to match the original microline setup (Stradic FAML + 791 tsr glx). As mentioned with the new the lowest (sadly) is 8lb.

Good fishing sir.

mrpao
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mrpao » Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:16 pm

I use the daiwa j- braid 6 lb on some of my ultralight spinning reels. It is pretty soft and does cast fairly good.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:05 am

I caught a ton of fish on original 8lb PowerPro. I am a big advocate of Sufix 832, but it is thicker and therefore stronger. My wife (who really only uses one rod) has used the same spool of 10lb 832 for YEARS catching smallmouth, I finally turned it around to freshen it up and have cut some 20yd sections off but never really saw bad fraying. They only make down to 6lb line though and it is still pretty thick diameter for 6lb braid. I use Sufix 6lb Nanobraid on my Light spinning setup, and I was pretty sure I used the Ghost 6lb Nanobraid on my BFS UL setup, but recently questioned if that is what it actually was. I cannot remember now if it is white 6lb Nanobraid or another white braid I ordered. Either way, both of those rarely wrap around the tip of my rod, it could be the rod doing it instead of the braid. I have a Villain 2.0 spinning rod I love that CONSTANTLY gets line around the last guide, no other rod I own does that.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:15 pm

Aside from holding the rod tip straight up and allowing the line to just naturally wrap around the tip...

Is the tip wrap a result of line induced twist that when relaxed, then coils around the rod tip? If that's the case then it's more about how one is tying the lure or working it or possibly just rigging it off balanced.

Is the tip wrap occurring at the moment of preparation for the cast? Or is it just at the reverse motion of the cast? This could be just in one's casting technique. As there seems to be a recoil effect on the line and the moment the loops catches the rod tip and resulting in line wrapping.

I've learned from many mishaps that if I merely change my casting technique somewhat to induce more of a twirl, I won't get a rod tip wrap.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish