Does anyone own a G- Loomis Panfish rod?

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Does anyone own a G- Loomis Panfish rod?

Post by John G » Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:36 am

I'm looking at the SR781-1 IMX or the SR782-1 IMX.

I have using BFS reels for years and I am pretty new to using spinning reels. I have a Shimano Twin Power 2500SHG
and I bought an old style Loomis SJR781 IMX for it and I am really unimpressed with the distance that I am getting out a Strike King Bitsy Minnow. With 7LB Sunline Sniper, I am getting under 60' in my casts and that is measured on grass. The SJR781 is rated down to 1/16oz and the Bitsy Minnow weighs more than 1/16oz and the tip of the SJR781 doesn't load at all with the Bitsy Minnow so I am looking for another rod. I am not stuck on getting a Loomis but I do want something nice. Nice JDM reel should get a nice rod IMHO so I am open to suggestions. I am also looking at the 7' St. Croix Ledgend Elite Panfish Rod. I have no interest in JDM trout rods as I have owned a few JDM trout casting rods.

Ranger 619VS
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Does anyone own a G- Loomis Panfish rod?

Post by Ranger 619VS » Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:50 pm

I have both of those rods and the 6'7, 6'8 and 7'2 Trout series ultra lights and I also own the St. Croix Panfish 7'0 panfish elite.....Love each and everyone of them. I use mine paired with Daiwa 1000 size JDM reels and cast 1/16oz and 3/32oz jigheads with 1.75" to 2.5" plastics 95% of the time. PM me any questions you have and I will try and answer them. Both rods you listed are excellent. The SR781 is one of the best Domestic Ultra light rods made.......

Ranger 619VS

Oktayne the Red
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Oktayne the Red » Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:21 pm

I have an old school SR782-1 IMX. I can't speak for much freshwater use, but it has been the best factory built SW ultralight I've ever had. By far. Ladyfish to Moonfish, seatrout, jacks of a gazillion diff flavors, even some schoolie dolphin and a small bonita alomg the way. I've called it my #1, and I don't go on a fishing trip without it. I use an old Shimano Sustain 1000FB (2000 when I go offshore) with various lines. An absolute classic, and you can't go wrong.

I'll try a 781 someday, and I'd LOVE to find a 782 blank.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:16 am

Going to a different line might help, I switched from 4-5lb fluoro to a 6lb Sufix Nanobraid, and it made a big difference... The very thin diameter braids are the only way to go for panfish style lures and even BFS for me at the moment.

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:01 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. I went in an entirely different direction and I bought a stick that I could throw 2 ounce topwater crawlers on. :lol: