Best all around action for BFS

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Lefty372
Angler
Angler

Best all around action for BFS

Post by Lefty372 » Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:54 am

I want a jack of all trades type of rod for my first bfs setup. Looking for recommendations for best action. Looking to throw small hardballs as well as small marabou and hair jigs.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Best all around action for BFS

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:00 pm

Lefty372 wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:54 am
I want a jack of all trades type of rod for my first bfs setup. Looking for recommendations for best action. Looking to throw small hardballs as well as small marabou and hair jigs.
A moderate (regular) taper is nice if you're fishing light braid. If using flouro or mono, a mod-fast would likely serve you better.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:04 am

Line choice plays a factor. Braid will make your rod "faster". If bass fishing, I'd go with a fast. The lighter power of the rod will still bend down a bit when fish are surging. Sometimes if using small hardbaits, using a mono or FC will help with landing fish next to you. Small hardbait hooks plus braid can sometimes allow fish to rip the hooks from their mouths due to the lack of give in your system.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Lefty372
Angler
Angler

Post by Lefty372 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:01 pm

I fish braid to a mono leader. Still go with a fast taper, or mod-fast?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:18 pm

Lefty372 wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:01 pm
If it is a true UL, I'd go fast. If it is more of a BFS version of UL, mod-fast would be more ideal.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:41 pm

I've really come to appreciate the XF bfs rods, especially the solid tip versions. The super soft quick tip gives the little bit of forgiveness needed for trebles but the little bit of extra backbone helps with setting the hook with things like 3" senkos or small t-rigs. I do use mono and fluoro only however and am mainly after bass and some magnum bluegills if they are around. If I was after something with a softer mouth I'd go a RF/MF taper.

Lefty372
Angler
Angler

Post by Lefty372 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:30 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:18 pm
Lefty372 wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:01 pm
If it is a true UL, I'd go fast. If it is more of a BFS version of UL, mod-fast would be more ideal.
Thanks for your input, let the search begin.

Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Knotty » Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:05 pm

FWIW, I’ve been very happy with the Major Craft Days DYC-652UL/BF BFS rod. 1-10 g lure rating but I’d say 2-8 is more realistic. Definitely a bass rod, as opposed to most of my other rods that tend towards being trout rods.

Lefty372
Angler
Angler

Post by Lefty372 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:28 pm

Knotty wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:05 pm
FWIW, I’ve been very happy with the Major Craft Days DYC-652UL/BF BFS rod. 1-10 g lure rating but I’d say 2-8 is more realistic. Definitely a bass rod, as opposed to most of my other rods that tend towards being trout rods.
That one is on my list of rods to consider. Been looking hard at Major Craft in general. Also considering the custom route.

Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Knotty » Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:09 pm

Lefty372 wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:28 pm
Knotty wrote:
That one is on my list of rods to consider. Been looking hard at Major Craft in general. Also considering the custom route.
I was guided towards the MC Days by another forum member, who was trying to explain that BFS was initially bass focused, when it was developed in Japan. I had adopted BFS with more of a trout and panfish mindset. So, the Days has proven to be much better suited to bass than my other rods where I focus on trying to get below 2 g. Ned rig + MC Days = match made in heaven.

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:08 am

Fast or X-tra Fast.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:58 am

Knotty wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:09 pm
Lefty372 wrote:
Knotty wrote:
I was guided towards the MC Days by another forum member, who was trying to explain that BFS was initially bass focused, when it was developed in Japan. I had adopted BFS with more of a trout and panfish mindset. So, the Days has proven to be much better suited to bass than my other rods where I focus on trying to get below 2 g. Ned rig + MC Days = match made in heaven.
Obivious BFS fishing was developed with parallel and overlapping lines of Mountain Streams Trout fishing and Bass fishing:
https://fishingdiscoveries.com/bait-finesse-system/

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:14 am

jvelth74 wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:58 am
Knotty wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:09 pm
Lefty372 wrote:
Knotty wrote:
Obivious BFS fishing was developed with parallel and overlapping lines of Mountain Streams Trout fishing and Bass fishing:
https://fishingdiscoveries.com/bait-finesse-system/
Started in bass fishing and was adapted into trout fishing. Both require different types of rods for sure. Even within each category, the term "fast" will be different.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Lefty372
Angler
Angler

Post by Lefty372 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:55 pm

I've come to the conclusion I'm going to want more than one setup. And in true tackle monkey fashion I've also decided to take up rod building. Down the rabbit hole I go. :lol: :lol:

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:33 pm

Lefty372 wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:55 pm
I've come to the conclusion I'm going to want more than one setup. And in true tackle monkey fashion I've also decided to take up rod building. Down the rabbit hole I go. :lol: :lol:
When it comes to BFS or other specialty-type rods, custom is always the best option imho. There is absolutely zero chance that I would have ever found anything like my Rainshadow Immortal 7' ul moderate micro-crankbait rod. Fuji K-frame Ti/SiC micros spiraled to the right and it's not only perfect but it's pretty, too.😁