The whole BFS thing … meh

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

The whole BFS thing … meh

Post by uljersey » Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:38 am

I’m not bashing or criticizing it in any way, shape or form. I tried it, although admittedly never totally immersed myself in it, but it never really clicked for me. As it applies to strictly ultralight fishing I just found myself going back to my spinning gear more and more. Am I the only one ?

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: The whole BFS thing … meh

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:34 am

I would say I am one of the most pro-BFS anglers out there. I haven't used a spinning reel (besides ice fishing) since 2015, and that was a dropshot rod. I will say perhaps some of my BFS stubbornness comes from me making BFS content on YouTube and Instagram. I do not let that cloud my thoughts on the spinning vs BFS conversation.

That being said, I think there are little to no benefits to general open water UL fishing with BFS. One can argue accuracy around docks and such but, with even that being subjective, spinning reels will functionally perform better in those situations. I do still use BFS reels for all those situations. I don't feel I am losing enough casting distance to matter. I fish deeper so, casting distance isn't as important.

For stream fishing or other close contact, high accuracy areas, I will gladly sit there like that "change my mind" guy and talk BFS all day. The accuracy, control and efficiency of using a BFS reel in those situations are superb. Today's BFS reels are very controlled and cast lures 2gr fairly easily, many reels doing 1gr well too. The ability for me to push a button, flick my wrist and have total control of my lure using brakes, thumb and rod tip to place my lure softly and accurately with consistency is something I cannot do with spinning. Even established spinning masters still have issues with controlling how hard the lure hits the water.

You can fire cast, after cast, after cast much faster and consistently. The moment your lure hits the water, you can set the hook. The overall two handed operation of a spinning reel creates delays in the casting/reeling/casting sequence.

I am all for people using whatever gear they want for fishing. I don't hate on spinning gear at all. For myself, I prefer BFS.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:11 am

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:34 am
I would say I am one of the most pro-BFS anglers out there. I haven't used a spinning reel (besides ice fishing) since 2015, and that was a dropshot rod. I will say perhaps some of my BFS stubbornness comes from me making BFS content on YouTube and Instagram. I do not let that cloud my thoughts on the spinning vs BFS conversation.

That being said, I think there are little to no benefits to general open water UL fishing with BFS. One can argue accuracy around docks and such but, with even that being subjective, spinning reels will functionally perform better in those situations. I do still use BFS reels for all those situations. I don't feel I am losing enough casting distance to matter. I fish deeper so, casting distance isn't as important.

For stream fishing or other close contact, high accuracy areas, I will gladly sit there like that "change my mind" guy and talk BFS all day. The accuracy, control and efficiency of using a BFS reel in those situations are superb. Today's BFS reels are very controlled and cast lures 2gr fairly easily, many reels doing 1gr well too. The ability for me to push a button, flick my wrist and have total control of my lure using brakes, thumb and rod tip to place my lure softly and accurately with consistency is something I cannot do with spinning. Even established spinning masters still have issues with controlling how hard the lure hits the water.

You can fire cast, after cast, after cast much faster and consistently. The moment your lure hits the water, you can set the hook. The overall two handed operation of a spinning reel creates delays in the casting/reeling/casting sequence.

I am all for people using whatever gear they want for fishing. I don't hate on spinning gear at all. For myself, I prefer BFS.
You make several valid points, especially the open water vs docks one. I can clearly see the advantages of BFS in that scenario, but I myself pretty much never throw light line at docks or timber. Much of my ultralight fishing is indeed open water. I pretty much fish exclusively from a canoe and rarely stream fish or bank fish, again I can see BFS having the clear advantage in those situations. If I ever happen to find myself in a situation where it would benefit me I would certainly use it, but for where I’m at now it’s just not something where I see it being an advantage.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:34 pm

People uses that kind of setups they like ... People likes different type setups, and that's OK...

Personally I use baitcasting reel basically for all my current fishing. Only if I have to go fishing in freezing conditions I choose spinning gear with mono line. Last time was 3.2.2018, when I must go fishing despite of temperature:

Then me and my buddy literally froze our spinning gears use..:

This season has been basically only BFS gears...For both of us. ~5 Seatrout sessions are only exception. I have tried to change my lure choises to lighter, if I could use BFS gears also for seatrouts. But light weight spinners seems not favorite of seatrouts. Maybe I need to try 5 g bombardas + fly....

For stream fishing BFS setups shines in my opinion. Basically the more challenging conditions, the more interesting the fishing is...
Lake fishing for Perch ... With good BFS reel and rod long enough casting distances are more than enough. And i just love to use good BFS setup.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:27 am

Funny how the “pro” BFS guys chime in :D O:)

I have used baitcaster almost exclusively for 6 years and BFS for most of my fishing (except when targeting pike and salmon with large baitcasters/multipliers).

Baitcasters have been more “fun” to me, and BFS has been especially fun. I will continue to use BFS for all my trout stream fishing where I see most benefits (some benefits have been mentioned above).

In 2021 I have started to use more spinning tackle especially when inshore fishing where I need long distance with light-medium weight lures. I do not fish lakes from boat much, but this would be another area where I might be doing more spinning.

I guess, some of what we do as anglers are for the fun of it, what clicks for us, and some is what works best…not always the same thing :shock: :roll:

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:53 am

Dalleinf wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:27 am

I have used baitcaster almost exclusively for 6 years and BFS for most of my fishing (except when targeting pike and salmon with large baitcasters/multipliers).

Baitcasters have been more “fun” to me, and BFS has been especially fun. I will continue to use BFS for all my trout stream fishing where I see most benefits (some benefits have been mentioned above).

In 2021 I have started to use more spinning tackle especially when inshore fishing where I need long distance with light-medium weight lures. I do not fish lakes from boat much, but this would be another area where I might be doing more spinning.

I guess, some of what we do as anglers are for the fun of it, what clicks for us, and some is what works best…not always the same thing :shock: :roll:
:lol: I didn't mean "professional" I meant pro as in in favor of BFS. Like pro vs con :lol:
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:01 am

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:53 am
Dalleinf wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:27 am

:lol: I didn't mean "professional" I meant pro as in in favor of BFS. Like pro vs con :lol:
:D Same here :D Not pulling your leg. Just noted that guys who love BFS were fast to chime in... "Me too" :D
It never really clicked for uljersey while it totally blew me away and became an obsession. Still, over time, I have begun to focus a little less on how low I can go with my setups and now look more to overall performance with regard to what I want to achieve, e.g. Comfortably use 3-5 gram lures more than 1-2 gram lures with good casting distance, control, and accuracy.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:20 pm

In Finland it's pretty much impossible became as professional sport fisherman. Fishing guide is most close to that. So, I don't imagine me as professional. And in addition to that, I think my skill level in BFS is average or below that. But BFS fishing it's what I love. If that wouldn't excist, it's likely I won't fish. Fly fishing just isn't in my opinion that much interesting than BFS is.

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:18 pm

I'm a pro bfs guy but every situation has it's best option. I still use spinning gear on wind swept open waters with light lures but ill use bfs just about everywhere else. I think bfs does have an good edge with accuracy presentations and stream fishing which is the majority of what I do. Max distance with tiny lures or open windy waters spinning reels have the edge.

The thing with bfs is to get max light lure castability you have to pay to play. The cheap little $50 dollar bfs reels are good from 1/8oz up (what i call power bfs baits) but if you want a true 1/16oz capable setup you need something a little higher end. High end spools and bearings, ultralight rotating mass and rods that load well are key with casting lighter stuff accurately and they aren't cheap. If you're looking for more reasonable costs then definitely go spinning gear but for folks like me that are willing to dump a bunch of $ for that little bit of performance bfs is worth it. BFS is like the formula 1 of casting gear.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:02 pm

Casting with BFS equipment is a little too tough for some people. It is definitely something for the purist. It is just more fun when you get it right. BFS casting is also more accurate (when you get it right) than using a spinning setup. I've been using ultralight spinning outfits in the same Eastern Sierra creeks for about four decades. I made the switch to BFS with 1/10 ounce drop shot rigs and small spinners a few years ago. It is so much more fun and challenging to me. There are so many overhanging limbs and bushes in most of the creeks that I fish that you really have to be accurate and patient enough to take the time to pick the correct angles. I have been fishing those creeks with the same friends over the decades and they are very interested in trying BFS from watching me. About the only thing that I am not using BFS for is 1/32 ounce crappie jigs. It fish those on an ultralight spinning setup with 2 pound mono or 4 pound fluoro. BFS is just not worth it to most people that don't have the time or skill to be good at it. That is understandable.

SteveSchmelzle
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SteveSchmelzle » Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:15 pm

using BFS isn't any better, or more efficient (unless discussing some very narrow uses), but those who love it - love it!

generally they are tackle geeks (like so many of us), who love using state of the art technology. Someone who can talk gear more than actual fishing.

If you are looking for an 'improvement' over light spinning tackle, you likely aren't gonna find it.

But if you want to spend $$$ for the best, then BFS is likely it.
1-2%

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:40 am

“ generally they are tackle geeks (like so many of us), who love using state of the art technology. Someone who can talk gear more than actual fishing.”

That sums up my position pretty well. While admittedly not the tackle geek that many here are, I’m not an Ugly Stick/Zebco 33 Neanderthal either :lol: I definitely enjoy the fishing/catching aspect of it way more than the gear part of it. Rods, reels and tackle are nothing more than tools to me.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:55 am

uljersey wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:40 am
“ generally they are tackle geeks (like so many of us), who love using state of the art technology. Someone who can talk gear more than actual fishing.”

That sums up my position pretty well. While admittedly not the tackle geek that many here are, I’m not an Ugly Stick/Zebco 33 Neanderthal either :lol: I definitely enjoy the fishing/catching aspect of it way more than the gear part of it. Rods, reels and tackle are nothing more than tools to me.
I agree on text in quotation mark, allthough I can talk a whole lot of fishing - trout stream especially.

Rods, reels, lures are tools to me. BUT I have had soft spot for reels - much more so than for rods and lures. Baitcast reels more than spinning reels, and therefore I prefer to subject the latter to saltwater :D
In many ways, I could not care less about lures. I have a ton of very expensive Megabass lures but none of them perform better - catch more fish for me - than some of my cheap inline spinners and spoons (which I supertune with top class hooks :lol: )

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:00 am

In my personal opinion the finest of BFS is that a fisherman doesn't need trained very long time before BFS begins to feel enjoyable but still BFS offers for a very long time possibility to progress to better caster and fisherman.

Freddie
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Freddie » Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:49 pm

SteveSchmelzle wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:15 pm
using BFS isn't any better, or more efficient (unless discussing some very narrow uses), but those who love it - love it!

generally they are tackle geeks (like so many of us), who love using state of the art technology. Someone who can talk gear more than actual fishing.

If you are looking for an 'improvement' over light spinning tackle, you likely aren't gonna find it.

But if you want to spend $$$ for the best, then BFS is likely it.
I admit it…I love it. For my applications of ul fishing(1-3g lures) in small streams and rivers my Gekkabijin w/ a Roro spool does everything that I need it to do…and much better than any spinning setup could ever do in this application. I haven’t used a spinning reel in years…they just feel awkward after using a bait caster.