Help Me Chose First BFS Trout Rod

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Firstoutfisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Help Me Chose First BFS Trout Rod

Post by Firstoutfisher » Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:36 pm

Looking to get my first BFS trout setup. I will be tossing lures in the 3-6g range most of the time. Anything less than that and I will just use my spinning setup. Looking for something between 5' and 5'6. Most likely going to pair it up with an SLX or curado BFS,possibly an alixpress reel. Will mostly be used for bank and wade fishing in rivers/streams so there will be current. From my understanding there are 2 different types of JDM bfs trout rods, area rods that are used in open water and lakes without current and stream models which are for current.

My budget is $300 max but if I can keep it under $200 that is even better. I've done a fair amount of research myself and I've seen all the most common names tossed around;tenryu,yamaga blanks, majorcraft,daiwa on the JDM end and tsurinoya/kuying for CDM. My ideal rod would be the tenryu RZ542B-L jerkin,however that is way out of my price range. I can't justify spending that much on something I don't know I will enjoy. Plus I fish for bass more often than trout.

From all of the other rods I have looked at the closest thing I have found is the tsurinoya trout master c562ul however it isn't currently in stock . Can some of you experiences bfs guys steer me in the right direction?

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Help Me Chose First BFS Trout Rod

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:09 am

BFS fishing is a slippery slope. Like walking up a steep clay hill in the rain.

The only Rayz rod I have used was the Tenryu Spectra RZS51LL-BC ($$$). I really like the taper to it. It is a very expensive rod but, the taper fishes anything from brook trout to decent sized bass.

Do not overlook the Tsuyinora rods either. Although on the lighter side of your intended range, the Tsuyinora Ares was my favorite BFS rod the longest time. A custom glass rod I built takes that spot now. I know the other Tsuyinora rods like the Elf and such are faster action and lend more to panfish/finesse bass fishing than small trout. Mid size trout are fine with them.

If you can find a Ray Fishing Tarantula, that taper is nice for what you are looking for. The rod is like $110 and fishes pretty dang nice. My only grip is that the handle is longer than my liking. Plenty sensitive and isn't that big of an investment. It isnt going to be a brook trout rod but, if you get into 10-20in trout, it will be fine there.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:28 am

Friend of mine bought Madmouse Lupus (currently costs something $60 @ Aliexpress). Hi said that hi likes that rod actually as much as Shimano Trout One. Hi also bought Black Kinght II (currently costs something $85 @ Aliexpress). Hi said hi likes castability of that reel more than Shimano Scorpion BFS.

I have tested all Kuying Tetons. SUL, UL and L are all nice BFS rods, but prices of those are climbing. Those are not special long casting in my opinion, but still nice rods. SUL is funny noodle action with trouts.

I have Tsurinoya Ares & Master. Master is a little better basically in everything, but in sub 2 g that rod is not good. It's high priced Aliexpress rod, but it is pretty excellent, but that rod also demands some skills from caster to utilize that rod capabilities as should. Tsurinoya Master can be cast really hard but then it must be cast correctly. Ares as cheaper rod is probably better in price/quality -ratio in opinion of most people. But also Ares prices has climbed a lot.

In open water fishing I use Kuying Superlite, which is my long casting BFS rod. Those are as well a bit pricey as a Aliexpress rod.

Firstoutfisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Firstoutfisher » Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:32 am

jvelth74 wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:28 am
Friend of mine bought Madmouse Lupus (currently costs something $60 @ Aliexpress). Hi said that hi likes that rod actually as much as Shimano Trout One. Hi also bought Black Kinght II (currently costs something $85 @ Aliexpress). Hi said hi likes castability of that reel more than Shimano Scorpion BFS.

I have tested all Kuying Tetons. SUL, UL and L are all nice BFS rods, but prices of those are climbing. Those are not special long casting in my opinion, but still nice rods. SUL is funny noodle action with trouts.

I have Tsurinoya Ares & Master. Master is a little better basically in everything, but in sub 2 g that rod is not good. It's high priced Aliexpress rod, but it is pretty excellent, but that rod also demands some skills from caster to utilize that rod capabilities as should. Tsurinoya Master can be cast really hard but then it must be cast correctly. Ares as cheaper rod is probably better in price/quality -ratio in opinion of most people. But also Ares prices has climbed a lot.

In open water fishing I use Kuying Superlite, which is my long casting BFS rod. Those are as well a bit pricey as a Aliexpress rod.
I have been eying that black knight 2 reels ever since the thereeltest showed it on youtube. The only problem is he said the casting performance for heavier baits suffered compared to the other BFS reels. I know you can't go super light with the SLX/CURADO BFS but it is supposed to have good casting performance on the heavier end of the spectrum.

Is there any other good CDM brands other than kuying and tsurinoya? I feel like I keep seeing the same names tossed around everywhere. Maybe it really is that niche that not many manufacturers produce them.

slimjim1135
Angler
Angler

Post by slimjim1135 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:01 pm

Closest rod that comes to mind is the Palms Rera Kamuy RKSC 53UL. It's positively fantastic in that 3-6g weight range, you can go lower with it if necessary, and higher if you need to. I love it for trout and cree/small river bass fishing. It's 5'3" so it hits right in your length range too. Japanese made and manufactured like Tenryu, at around half the cost or less.

The hardest part is going to be sourcing them. I'd recommend emailing Plat to see if they'll be able to order them for you. They normally respond with a detailed answer within 24 hours. If they're unavailable, I'd go Major Craft (readily available on eBay and other sites) before going CDM.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:58 pm

I recommend the 3 piece Daiwa Wise Stream rods 4´9 or 6´2 - I have the latter and enjoy it very much.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:00 pm

My brother enjoys his 7´6 ABU Zoom Safari. Nice components and looks for the price.
Maybe the 5´6 version of that rod with 2-10g casting weight....

Firstoutfisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Firstoutfisher » Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:21 pm

slimjim1135 wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:01 pm
Closest rod that comes to mind is the Palms Rera Kamuy RKSC 53UL. It's positively fantastic in that 3-6g weight range, you can go lower with it if necessary, and higher if you need to. I love it for trout and cree/small river bass fishing. It's 5'3" so it hits right in your length range too. Japanese made and manufactured like Tenryu, at around half the cost or less.

The hardest part is going to be sourcing them. I'd recommend emailing Plat to see if they'll be able to order them for you. They normally respond with a detailed answer within 24 hours. If they're unavailable, I'd go Major Craft (readily available on eBay and other sites) before going CDM.
I will look for that rod, Sounds awesome. What major craft rods are good? The biggest problem with major craft is there are so many different models and I have a tough time find information about them.

Firstoutfisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Firstoutfisher » Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:37 pm

Okay, I found major craft's japan website and translated it. The FSX-B4102UL looks to fit the bill but may be a little to short which will hamper the versatility of using it on larger streams/small rivers but it is in stock on digitaka. The FSX-B502L also meets my criteria even though it is on the short end of my requirements however I can't find it in stock anywhere.

slimjim1135
Angler
Angler

Post by slimjim1135 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:04 pm

The Major Craft Finetail series has a few different options. There’s the stream trout rods designated with FSX, area rods which are FAX, glass which debuted this year and are FSG, and the pack rods which are FTX. I’ve had at least one in every series. For that 3-6g range, the fsx-b4102UL might not be the most perfect fit, or at least it wasn’t for me. I haven’t tried the 5’ L model, but I have the 6’ and it’s a good larger water trout rod.
The traveling rod, the FTX-B46/505UL is a stud though action-wise and should be perfect for that weight, and it’s handled bass well for me too. Of their lineup, I’d recommend it most for what you’re looking for. Bonus you can fit it in your pocket.

The FSG glass series has become my favorite rod right now, but it’s gonna be on the lower end of that weight range you’re looking to throw.
The FAX area rods are also very fun but probably wouldn’t be optimal for the needs you described.

Try Shimreels on the bay, Plat or digitaka.

tincanary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tincanary » Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:47 pm

I love my Finetail glass, works great for the 2g to 5g baits I'm usually throwing. I have the 4'10" model and it's a hoot to use. Not as whippy as some of the other glass rods out there, but it does have a nice bend to it.