Daiwa Silver Creek Glass Progressive

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
tincanary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Daiwa Silver Creek Glass Progressive

Post by tincanary » Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:00 am

With the current exchange rate between JPY and USD, I thought it was a good time to finally buy a rod I've been eyeballing for a bit now. I ended up getting the 51LB-G from Digitaka for ~$360 shipped, a good amount less than last years pricing on other models, This particular model wasn't available last year, and just came on the market in February. It's rated 2g to 10g, perfect for the baits I fish. I'm typically not throwing below 2g as it as, and most of my baits are in the 3g to 6g range, so this is right up my alley.

My initial impression is very positive. This guy is light! Coming in at 2.6 oz, it's very light for a mostly, and I say mostly glass rod as the blank does contain 33% carbon. It's just as light as my 5'L Finetail, which I thought was a feather itself. I guess I was taken aback because glass rods usually lean on the heftier side of the spectrum in comparison to their carbon and graphite counterparts. The blank has a nice deep bend, but it takes effort to get it there. I feel the backbone seems suitable for fighting everything up to medium sized rainbows/steelhead and Atlantic salmon that inhabit the area I live in. I firmly believe this rod will be able to keep them under control unlike the Finetail Stream Glass which is more of a moderate action and lesser backbone by comparison. The fit and finish of the rod is excellent and very high quality. The wooden reel seat is a thing of beauty as well as the accommodating hardware such as the silver trigger and rings of the reel seat. Daiwa did a great job thus far and at this point I'm pretty happy with my purchase.

So, how does it fish? That I will not know until tomorrow morning. The local river here currently has plenty of drop-back steelhead due to the lingering cold and the browns are just starting to get fired up. This river has many 15"+ browns in the main branch, while the smaller ones typically stick to the headwater creeks year round. Once summer is in full swing, the bigger ones take to the colder creeks and find refuge in the undercut banks and root wads. Anyway, back to fishing this thing. I will throw a variety of baits tomorrow morning to get a feel for where this rod will shine. My intended offerings are 3g to 5g minnows, 2g to 4g spoons, 3g spinners, and some 3g to 4g jigs. It should be fun and I will definitely post my impressions afterward. I'm liking it so far, but won't know if I truly love it until I take it fishing.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Daiwa Silver Creek Glass Progressive

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:43 am

I'm definitely interested. I was looking into that same rod.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

tincanary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tincanary » Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:12 am

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:43 am
I almost bit on the 4'6" last year but something was telling me not too. I really prefer a L over UL mostly because of what I throw. Tomorrow around this time I should have something posted.

fffishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fffishing » Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:31 am

tincanary wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:12 am
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:43 am
I almost bit on the 4'6" last year but something was telling me not too. I really prefer a L over UL mostly because of what I throw. Tomorrow around this time I should have something posted.
46 will be fine for my fishing condition...
Did you try your 51 already? How's works?

tincanary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tincanary » Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:40 pm

First, I'll start with the bad news, I got skunked Sunday morning on the maiden trip with the GP. I wasn't really actively trying to hook fish but get a feel for the rod in general. I tried flip casting, backhand, overhead, roll casting, and side arm, what a fine rod! Even though Daiwa doesn't list the action, it's on the faster side of moderate fast. While I wouldn't say it's a minnow/plug rod, the action is great for swinging spoons and spinners through the current. It does fish minnows just fine, but I personally prefer a faster action for that to get the instant twitch. It feels right at home in the 2g to 7g range. The rod really loads up nicely throwing Rapala CD5s, Major Craft Eden 50H, and Little Cleo 1/8 (true weight of 4g). I will have it out again this weekend for the trout opener and hopefully I can comment on the sensitivity, or lack thereof at that time. Stay tuned!

fffishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fffishing » Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:29 am

Thanks a lot for info! I definitely need to take 46 :D ,my lures mostly up to 2g

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:59 pm

tincanary wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:40 pm
First, I'll start with the bad news, I got skunked Sunday morning on the maiden trip with the GP. I wasn't really actively trying to hook fish but get a feel for the rod in general. I tried flip casting, backhand, overhead, roll casting, and side arm, what a fine rod! Even though Daiwa doesn't list the action, it's on the faster side of moderate fast. While I wouldn't say it's a minnow/plug rod, the action is great for swinging spoons and spinners through the current. It does fish minnows just fine, but I personally prefer a faster action for that to get the instant twitch. It feels right at home in the 2g to 7g range. The rod really loads up nicely throwing Rapala CD5s, Major Craft Eden 50H, and Little Cleo 1/8 (true weight of 4g). I will have it out again this weekend for the trout opener and hopefully I can comment on the sensitivity, or lack thereof at that time. Stay tuned!
Have you had a chance to fish this rod some more? Would you recommend the silver creek or one of your fine tail rods?

Do you think the silver creek would work better for minnows with braid or is the glass just to slow? I'm looking for something to throw spoons, spinners, and occasionally minnows in the 2-7g range.

Thanks

tincanary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tincanary » Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:37 am

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:59 pm
tincanary wrote:
Have you had a chance to fish this rod some more? Would you recommend the silver creek or one of your fine tail rods?

Do you think the silver creek would work better for minnows with braid or is the glass just to slow? I'm looking for something to throw spoons, spinners, and occasionally minnows in the 2-7g range.

Thanks
I prefer the Silver Creek to my Finetail 5' L, even though it's an inch longer and a more moderate blank, is really good casting in close quarters because the rod tip bends easier. I'm running 6lb Berkley X9 and a 5lb Maxima leader throwing Daiwa Silver Creek 44S minnows (3.6g w/ singles) as well as Rapala CD1s. It does work spoons really well too but I don't fish them as much as minnows.

fffishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fffishing » Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:02 am

When got my 51,thinking it's too long,and willing to sale...but last two fishing days used only this rod,and I'm so impressed ! The heaviest was 7g minnow,but mostly my lures up to 2g,this rod able to throw Bug Minnow 20SR (0.7g)...also good with spoons,possible to cast 0.3g(depend on set-up),and from 0.5g cast well . I'm using nanofil 4lb for that.
Here's some pic's how it's bend ,bluegill on 0.3g spoon,crappie on 0.6g spoon.
Don't know why files don't attach...

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:19 pm

fffishing wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:02 am
When got my 51,thinking it's too long,and willing to sale...but last two fishing days used only this rod,and I'm so impressed ! The heaviest was 7g minnow,but mostly my lures up to 2g,this rod able to throw Bug Minnow 20SR (0.7g)...also good with spoons,possible to cast 0.3g(depend on set-up),and from 0.5g cast well . I'm using nanofil 4lb for that.
What reel are you using?

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:22 pm

tincanary wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:37 am
chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:59 pm
tincanary wrote:

Thanks
I prefer the Silver Creek to my Finetail 5' L, even though it's an inch longer and a more moderate blank, is really good casting in close quarters because the rod tip bends easier. I'm running 6lb Berkley X9 and a 5lb Maxima leader throwing Daiwa Silver Creek 44S minnows (3.6g w/ singles) as well as Rapala CD1s. It does work spoons really well too but I don't fish them as much as minnows.
Thanks. Sounds like a nice rod.

fffishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fffishing » Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:45 pm

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:19 pm
fffishing wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:02 am
What reel are you using?
22Aldebaran+Avail , Steez Air+ KTF v2(KTF v1,Nice Fish Chameleon DIY),Black Knight (with homemade upgraded FTB :D ),16Aldebaran+Nice Fish,15 Aldebaran+Avail 1518TR... All of them work well,just a bit different on various type of brakes.And for better efficiency I spool a minimum line,like 50m nanofil 2-4lb.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:36 pm

Here is an initial review video of the 51LB-G. More versatile than I initially thought.

I also got it out on the water today. You will see in a future video but, good overall impressions. Crisp casting, easy loading without being bogged down. Casts 2gr okay and heavier weight like a dream. 4gr was perfect.

More info to come...

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:32 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:36 pm
Here is an initial review video of the 51LB-G. More versatile than I initially thought.

I also got it out on the water today. You will see in a future video but, good overall impressions. Crisp casting, easy loading without being bogged down. Casts 2gr okay and heavier weight like a dream. 4gr was perfect.

More info to come...

Thanks for making the video. Looks like a nice rod. Can't wait to see the video of it in action

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:33 am

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:32 pm

Thanks for making the video. Looks like a nice rod. Can't wait to see the video of it in action
Coming soon to an internet compatible device near you