Sell me on the Alphas Air TW

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Lastworm
Angler
Angler

Sell me on the Alphas Air TW

Post by Lastworm » Sun Apr 24, 2022 2:59 am

Ok, so I have my ultimate BfS setup, 16 Aldebaran on a custom rod made on a Northfork composites 4-10lb blank, with short 4” cork handle and it’s a beautiful rod and an absolute dream to use. I cast 3.5-5g surface lures for Australian Bass and only ever take one rod out with me on the kayak.

Here’s my predicament, I can get a brand new 20 Alphas air TW for around $250 AUD ($180 USD). I’ve always been curious about Daiwa BFS reels having owned Shimanos for the past 20 or so years. I also have a Samurai 4-10lb rod sitting with no reel attached to it, it’s a more whippy rod with a slower action that I previously found great for throwing unweighted zman frogs.

Is this an offer that’s too good to refuse? I’ve heard so many mixed reviews on the Alphas vs Aldebaran and everyone seems to either be a Daiwa or Shimano person so most reviews are bias. Would you spend the money on the Alphas or just sell the other rod?

Also love to hear from anyone who has used theirs on salt water.

Thanks in advance

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Sell me an Alphas Air TW

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:16 am

I'll start by saying I never used it in salt water. I will also say I have used many Shimano and Daiwa BFS reels.

For $180 USD, that is a steal. Such a great BFS reel. The Alphas AIR TW will fit right into what you need. I do like the Alphas AIR TW a little better than the 16 Aldebaran BFS. Cast lighter, flatter and still does distance with finesse bass lures too.

Only downside is that it doesn't have a clicking drag when fish are taking line.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:58 am

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:16 am
Only downside is that it doesn't have a clicking drag when fish are taking line.
I will be correcting that on my Alphas Air with a Zillion G gear set from Plat.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Lastworm
Angler
Angler

Post by Lastworm » Sun Apr 24, 2022 3:10 pm

I’ve seen all of the reviews online, yours included Hobie and they have been a huge help. I might need to consider the drag clicker, it’s a small thing but hugely satisfying feature.

I’m curious how the Daiwa style brake works with fast momentum at the beginning of the cast mostly associated with overhead casting. Most people say the Daiwas are better at controlling backlash at the end of the cast when the lire hits the water but I don’t find I have any issues controlling that.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sun Apr 24, 2022 3:36 pm

Lastworm wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 3:10 pm
I’ve seen all of the reviews online, yours included Hobie and they have been a huge help. I might need to consider the drag clicker, it’s a small thing but hugely satisfying feature.

I’m curious how the Daiwa style brake works with fast momentum at the beginning of the cast mostly associated with overhead casting. Most people say the Daiwas are better at controlling backlash at the end of the cast when the lire hits the water but I don’t find I have any issues controlling that.
I haven't found the Alphas AIR TW to be finicky casting at all. Distance is better keeping a moderate casting motion and lowering the brake dial versus just casting harder. Your results may vary.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Lastworm
Angler
Angler

Post by Lastworm » Thu May 26, 2022 7:19 pm

I ended up getting a right handed 22 Aldebaran XG at full price. Closed bass season in Australia and too much internet means I now have one more expensive reel than I can use.

I have issues. :roll:

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun May 29, 2022 6:05 am

Lastworm wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 7:19 pm
I ended up getting a right handed 22 Aldebaran XG at full price. Closed bass season in Australia and too much internet means I now have one more expensive reel than I can use.

You dont have any issues my friend. Try having 7 or 8 expensive reels on hand that hardly ever get used....and I fish frequently.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sun May 29, 2022 6:26 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 6:05 am
Try having 7 or 8 expensive reels on hand that hardly ever get used....
Nice starter kit... ;)
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun May 29, 2022 10:26 am

Cal wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 6:26 am
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Try having 7 or 8 expensive reels on hand that hardly ever get used....
Nice starter kit... ;)
That's why I'm here....I show my wife some people's collections in order to justify and normalize my own, ahem, habits. 😂😂😂

Lastworm
Angler
Angler

Post by Lastworm » Sun May 29, 2022 2:21 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Lastworm wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 7:19 pm

You dont have any issues my friend. Try having 7 or 8 expensive reels on hand that hardly ever get used....and I fish frequently.
Well you just made me feel a whole lot better about myself! I was considering getting another rod made to suit the 22 Aldebaran, you may have just tipped me over the edge! :D