Is the Shimano Vanquish still top dog among UL?

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Is the Shimano Vanquish still top dog among UL?

Post by ultralight » Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:23 pm

Wondering if any here still consider the Vanquish the top dog among UL reels? Size for size, it remains the lightest which is one of the desirable characteristics of UL reels....

Thanks.

Oktayne the Red
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Is the Shimano Vanquish still top dog among UL?

Post by Oktayne the Red » Tue May 17, 2022 2:49 am

I believe that the Vanford 500 is still the top dog amongst 500 size spinners, yes. Not a lot of 500 size spinners. I think some folks prefer the larger spool diameter of the 1000 size reels for UL. I have a Symetre 750 from a few years ago, but I haven't seen a 750 size reel in a while, other than Daiwas (QZ750 is solid and cheap). It's a shame, I like that size. Kind of a best of both worlds. Maybe someone else can chime in with any reels I've missed. Not only are there not many 500s, but I'm seeing a few reels (Exist, Sustain, among others) that are even ditching the 1000 size. A lot of 2000 size reels are the same body as the 1000, just a bigger spool.

I'm not a fan of the trend, I still want Stella or Exist in the 500/750 sizes.

Firstoutfisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Firstoutfisher » Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:51 am

ultralight wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:23 pm
Wondering if any here still consider the Vanquish the top dog among UL reels? Size for size, it remains the lightest which is one of the desirable characteristics of UL reels....

Thanks.
I've been wondering the same, just ordered a tenryu rayz spinning rod and looking for a high end reel to pair with it. I toyed with the idea of a 1000 sized stella but they are pretty heavy and I want one for a bass setup and I don't think I can justify two stellas. In that weight class the other reel that comes to mind would be the newer daiwa luvias airity but the supply of those has completely dried up.
Oktayne the Red wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 2:49 am
I believe that the Vanford 500 is still the top dog amongst 500 size spinners, yes. Not a lot of 500 size spinners. I think some folks prefer the larger spool diameter of the 1000 size reels for UL. I have a Symetre 750 from a few years ago, but I haven't seen a 750 size reel in a while, other than Daiwas (QZ750 is solid and cheap). It's a shame, I like that size. Kind of a best of both worlds. Maybe someone else can chime in with any reels I've missed. Not only are there not many 500s, but I'm seeing a few reels (Exist, Sustain, among others) that are even ditching the 1000 size. A lot of 2000 size reels are the same body as the 1000, just a bigger spool.

I'm not a fan of the trend, I still want Stella or Exist in the 500/750 sizes.
If you like 500 sized spinners shimano recently released the soare XR in a 500 size reel. I believe it is built on the same platform as the vanford 500 but is supposedly tuned for finesse fishing. It is also a low gear reel as well which i don't believe is available in the vanford.

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:13 am

I did pick up the Soare XR 500 and passed it on. Lightest spinning reel Shimano ever made. Very similar to the Vanford but shallow spool. I wish the Vanford 500 were shallow spool too.

mrpao
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mrpao » Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:00 pm

I purchased two Vanford 500 reels last year and was not impressed. The reels were not as smooth as the 1000 size versions. Also the claim to be 4.9 oz but were actually heavier - around 5.1 oz. Not a big deal but still misrepresented.
For the money i just stuck with the 1000 size. Just slightly heavier but much smoother and better line management.
If i was going to get another 500 size reel, the piscifun carbon x is hard to beat for the money. I own several already. They weigh in at 5.1 oz and were more smooth than the Vanford 500. Not a high end reel but a decent reel for the cost.
The Luvias airity 1000s is a awesome alternative. Some are still available on the auction site. I'm just not crazy about the super short 35mm handle. I had to replace mine with the 45mm SLP handle.

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:24 pm

I agree that the 500 is not as smooth as the 1000. It's actually an older design. However, mine are all 5.0 oz or lighter in weight. However, I prefer the 500 because it is noticeably lighter in hand and I love the 'sparkly metallic' drag sound. Also, I don't find the casting distance any less than the 1000 by my tests. Finally, I do like the anti-reverse switch though I do not often use it.

mrpao wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:00 pm
I purchased two Vanford 500 reels last year and was not impressed. The reels were not as smooth as the 1000 size versions. Also the claim to be 4.9 oz but were actually heavier - around 5.1 oz. Not a big deal but still misrepresented.
For the money i just stuck with the 1000 size. Just slightly heavier but much smoother and better line management.
If i was going to get another 500 size reel, the piscifun carbon x is hard to beat for the money. I own several already. They weigh in at 5.1 oz and were more smooth than the Vanford 500. Not a high end reel but a decent reel for the cost.
The Luvias airity 1000s is a awesome alternative. Some are still available on the auction site. I'm just not crazy about the super short 35mm handle. I had to replace mine with the 45mm SLP handle.

Firstoutfisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Firstoutfisher » Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:53 pm

Looks like the gentlemen over at enjoy fishing is debating the same thing right now

Just posted a video of new stella vs vanquish

https://youtu.be/_04QBhw1V6s

Anyone wanna translate it for us? :laugh1: