2nd BFS Rod

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

2nd BFS Rod

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue May 17, 2022 3:31 am

So far the only BFS I own is a Tsurinoya Proflex 2 with a DIY BFS 1016 spool, normally using it in a Zillion SV TW and running 8lb Sufix 832. Recently I found my line somehow tangled (odd cause it was deep in the spool), removed about half the line to leave 50m or so, and began to really enjoy the combo. So either way I started to think about a second BFS setup. I might purchase a true BFS reel this time, might just keep what I have and switch to 4lb or 5lb fluorocarbon instead. I am not sure if I want the rod as light as my current or a little more stout.

(Proflex is rated 2-8g, they used to have a Light version that would have been perfect, but cannot find it now)
To the topic though, what would be a second, fairly cheap option? I have looked at:
Kingdom Tackle Silver Needle 5'6"UL fast, rated 1-6g
-I hear these are a tad stiffer than most, the Light version is rated more like a USDM ML. Really not a fan of the short length, but a fair price either way.

Kuying Teton 6'6"L med. fast, rated 2-10g
-Nothing wrong here other than the medium fast action. I just cannot stand an overly soft rod for micro techniques, even cranks.

Tsurinoya Dragon 6'6"L mod. fast, rated 2-10g
-Again, just a problem with the potentially softer/progressive moderate fast action.

Any other Aliexpress gems or good fair priced BFS rods? Would gladly go a bit higher for quality. I also am not 100% opposed to getting the spinning version of one of these rods and buying a mid priced small spinner to accommodate...

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: 2nd BFS Rod

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue May 17, 2022 7:07 am

What size lures you using?
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: 2nd BFS Rod

Post by LowRange » Wed May 25, 2022 5:41 am

I've not heard anything good about kingdom rods. Also most of the aliexpress rods are going to be trout noodles and not suitable for bass baits, crushing weed guards, penatrating hooks through plastic, moving fish in cover ect. The Kuging Battle Song looks like it might be a decent $100 BFS stick. The Battle Song and Conqueror would be by picks for cheapish L powered BFS sticks. The Conqueror is Majorcraft money so I would certainly cross shop those rods too. I've lost my beloved 682L Volkey so I am in a similar position. I liked the Volkey for all my ned rigs, size 5 shad raps, 1/16 - 1/8 oz drop shots, weightless wacky floating trick worms and 1/16 to 1/18 bitsy bugs with tiny flappy or paddle taiks as baby swim jigs. Miss that stick. I'm using my Kuying Leadership now and it has the right taper but at 7'6" and is a cumbersome thing from the kayak. It's my shore distance casting BFS rod.