What Aliexpress BFS reel with strong magnets?

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

What Aliexpress BFS reel with strong magnets?

Post by LowRange » Wed May 25, 2022 6:01 am

I am looking for a cheap aliexpress reels with shallow lighter wight spools and hopefully powerfull magnets to control a skipping finesse bass bait. Something like a GH100 or deeper spool reel that has a BFS spool option. The latter thinking being that a reel made for a deep heavy spool with a shallow lightweight spool will have magnets strong enough to control a skipping bait. Weak magnets are a problem on cheap aliexpress reels. I would prefer some gold accents on a black or neutral colored reel.

Baits I'm skipping are 4" senkos copies, flick shakes, big TRDs on long shank 1/10 oz heads. A 1/16 oz flick shake head on a 5 inch stick worm at the heaviest and the same head on a BPS flicking shimmy at the lightest which is roughly trick worm weight.

I have a vacant 5'6" M that was a skipping machine out of the Kayak with an Alphas SV on it. That reel is back on the Skyray and I've used it a ton this year but I miss the little 5'6" rod and how compact as a 2 pc 5'6" and disposable it was. I want something I can bring as a plan B dock skipping rod and stash out the way when not in use. I hate having rods sticking up behind be in the kayak clanging on my back swing so I stuff them under the seat with the tip pointing towards the bow and this limits me to 5 rods. The little two piece can be stashed anywhere.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: What Aliexpress BFS reel with strong magnets?

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu May 26, 2022 8:17 am

The iFishband Clamber has strong magnets when cranked up. I haven't tried skipping with it but, could be decent
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu May 26, 2022 9:06 am

I have and love the Kingdom Speedshot. It comes with both a deep spool and ported BFS spool. It has strong magnets and also has the flying-arm style centrifugal braking. I've not tried skipping with it, but once dialed in, it is well-controlled with bomb casting lighter (3/16-1/4 oz) lures on 15# Spiderwire Stealth Smooth 8 braid. I've had mine since before the pandemic and it has never failed me. One lol sidenote.... I actually tossed the Black Dog G2 Shellcracker last year with this reel and the deep spool with 15# mono. I landed several 4-6# fish and the reel is still smooth today. It has a nice, compact aluminum frame, 12+1 bearings, a nice carbon fiber handle, and carbon/stainless multi-stack drag that is as smooth as any reel I've used. The reel is under 7 oz. as well. Only gripe I've ever had is the thumb bar is a little higher than I'd like, and that's a minor thing. I think they are around $85 now and are worth every penny imho.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri May 27, 2022 5:59 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 9:06 am
I have and love the Kingdom Speedshot. It comes with both a deep spool and ported BFS spool. It has strong magnets and also has the flying-arm style centrifugal braking. I've not tried skipping with it, but once dialed in, it is well-controlled with bomb casting lighter (3/16-1/4 oz) lures on 15# Spiderwire Stealth Smooth 8 braid. I've had mine since before the pandemic and it has never failed me. One lol sidenote.... I actually tossed the Black Dog G2 Shellcracker last year with this reel and the deep spool with 15# mono. I landed several 4-6# fish and the reel is still smooth today. It has a nice, compact aluminum frame, 12+1 bearings, a nice carbon fiber handle, and carbon/stainless multi-stack drag that is as smooth as any reel I've used. The reel is under 7 oz. as well. Only gripe I've ever had is the thumb bar is a little higher than I'd like, and that's a minor thing. I think they are around $85 now and are worth every penny imho.
I have the same reel but as a Haibo Smart. It's a good distance casting finesse reel as long as you're dealing with 1/8 - 3/8 oz total weight and the baits cast well. Not skip friendly though. I have additional magnets on mine that are mounted in a plastic ring that slides over the bearing holder on the handle side of the frame and fits inside the ID of the spool. I'll give you my reel if you send like $20 shipping. The drag is shot. The two spools only have 3 brakes each left on them. Good for parts at least. I might get a 2nd one as a Speed Shot because I like the orange better than the red of the Haibo and I have an orange trim rod. Maybe. Not in love with the rod but it works.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri May 27, 2022 7:17 am

LowRange wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 5:59 am
hoohoorjoo wrote:
I have the same reel but as a Haibo Smart. It's a good distance casting finesse reel as long as you're dealing with 1/8 - 3/8 oz total weight and the baits cast well. Not skip friendly though. I have additional magnets on mine that are mounted in a plastic ring that slides over the bearing holder on the handle side of the frame and fits inside the ID of the spool. I'll give you my reel if you send like $20 shipping. The drag is shot. The two spools only have 3 brakes each left on them. Good for parts at least. I might get a 2nd one as a Speed Shot because I like the orange better than the red of the Haibo and I have an orange trim rod. Maybe. Not in love with the rod but it works.
Maybe you got a dud? Mine has served me well without a single problem for 3 years now. They can be had for less around the Christmas sales. I think I paid $74 for mine.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri May 27, 2022 7:39 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 7:17 am
LowRange wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 5:59 am
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Maybe you got a dud? Mine has served me well without a single problem for 3 years now. They can be had for less around the Christmas sales. I think I paid $74 for mine.
Its been a good reel. I've had it for like 5 years. Caught my 1st BFS on it. It was my ned rig reel for the longest time until I got that Pixy with Airy Red spool then the SS SV with limited 105 SV spool. Threw a 1/10 oz head and TRD really well. No contest skipping compared to my SVs though. It had issues since day one. Sticky drag that now has quit, side plate is very tight to the frame, tons of play in the knobs and horrible drag star clicking sensation and brake arms they like to fall off the spools. I'm going to find parts from a junk reel to get it back in action and use it as a ned rig and light crank reel from the kayak or maybe give it away not sure.