Alphas Air Tw upgraded bearings..

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Alphas Air Tw upgraded bearings..

Post by Real Pudd legend » Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:09 am

Hey fellas,

Looking to upgrade my spool bearings on my stock alphas air spool. I Was on bait finesse empire and I saw two that interested me, the hedgehog studio red air bfs spool bearings ( $28 a pair) and the roro bearings($9.99) per. I will be strictly fishing 6lb Fluoro with 1/16 to 1/8oz max and was looking for some quality bearings. Which do you prefer and are bfs micro bearings typically louder than usual? The stock alphas air bearings make noise like ceramic bearings is this normal?

Thanks a bunch!

fffishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Alphas Air Tw upgraded bearings..

Post by fffishing » Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:49 pm

Hi,Roro is lottery :? ,clear 50/50... red air bfs is my best option for any finesse fishing,they're starting match easily then stock daiwa(and shimano) bearings,needs just a drop of fast oil and works nice and quite.Last point important for me,and I've change all ceramic bearings for red air bfs (with micro metal balls in)

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:18 pm

HH all day. Roro, as stated above, is a crap shoot.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Real Pudd legend » Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:21 pm

Appreciate the reply fellas!

Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Real Pudd legend » Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:24 pm

Roro tend to come loud and raspy?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:01 pm

Real Pudd legend wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:24 pm
Roro tend to come loud and raspy?
QC is very poor. One set might be quiet and zoom, next set will be loud and rough.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:39 am

So for any SV spool, say the new Alphas SVTW 32mm or even the CT 30mm spool, what bearings would slightly help casting? Even if it won't help distance, are there bearings that help startup for lighter lures???

Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Real Pudd legend » Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:54 am

That’s unfortunate, I’ve never really had issues with hedgehog bearings. The ZR’s from hedgehog have been superb for my 1/4 to 1/2 needs. My favorite of all time are the original Zpi SIC bearings man those things were quiet and glassy smooth on the cast.

d510addict
Angler
Angler

Post by d510addict » Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:21 pm

Would the Hedgehog Air Ceramics be a fishing upgrade for these reels or the Shimano BFS reels? I have and SLX thst I am looking to tune a bit and am thinking about the Avail spool on its own, or possibly upgrading bearings. Mostly to make it viable for Trout fishing, while maintaining thst second spool for SMB.

Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Real Pudd legend » Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:59 pm

Decided to try a pair of the Roro ceramic ST bearings and they are noticeably quieter and smoother than the stock bearings in the alphas air tw. I guess I got lucky , still waiting for tackle trap to get some more sizes in for the hedgehog red air bfs in to try those as well. For $20 a pair I’m pretty happy with the Roro bearings thus far

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:51 am

Real Pudd legend wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:59 pm
Decided to try a pair of the Roro ceramic ST bearings and they are noticeably quieter and smoother than the stock bearings in the alphas air tw. I guess I got lucky , still waiting for tackle trap to get some more sizes in for the hedgehog red air bfs in to try those as well. For $20 a pair I’m pretty happy with the Roro bearings thus far
Roro bearings are legit. They came a long way the last year or so. I agree with the lottery comment say a year ago. They are pretty consistent I have found lately.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Real Pudd legend » Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:56 am

Yes they are better than I expected, 1 drop of oil and its good to go.

tincanary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tincanary » Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:00 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:39 am
So for any SV spool, say the new Alphas SVTW 32mm or even the CT 30mm spool, what bearings would slightly help casting? Even if it won't help distance, are there bearings that help startup for lighter lures???
I've tried the Roros in my Alphas CT and Millionaire CT and found the spool to be far too wild with them, both the factory spool and the SV700S. The spool starts up a little too quick and the brake becomes a hair trigger of sorts. Set low, it's hard to control, set 1/4 or more, it's over braked. I think it's the way the inductor actuates very early due to the spool initially spinning a lot faster than it does with the factory bearings. I went back to the factory bearings and it's much more manageable. In contrast, the AMO spool with Roro bearings is really nice.

Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Real Pudd legend » Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:14 am

The roros in the stock spool for alphas air or gekkabijin manages very well and pretty smooth flat casting with minimal effort. The stock spools are lighter in those reels than the alphas Ct and millionaire ct, maybe that’s the difference