Bfs gear for creek and small river smallmouth

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Smallmouth-K
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Bfs gear for creek and small river smallmouth

Post by Smallmouth-K » Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:43 am

I am interested in using bfs gear for creek and small river smallmouth. Any recommendations on reels and rods? Looking at shimano Curado bfs and a Dobyns rod. Would a trout bfs rod work better?

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Bfs gear for creek and small river smallmouth

Post by slipperybob » Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:14 pm

Sounds about right, really beginning to like my Curado BFS. Me, personally I've never like moderate action rods or simply I don't like to have to put more effort into rod pulling on a moderate rod when I need too. Part of the underlying reality for me why I haven't really gotten myself a production BFS rod. Cuz I like my old 6' Light spinning rod so much and inadvertently tried it inverted with a casting reel and liked that too much. Love the weird looks, but BFS gets you weird looks anyways.

Those Dobyns rods look really interesting to me, specs are just about what I want. I just wish they really made a 6' Light casting rod just so. So just waiting for next big discount sale or something. :mrgreen:

The Shimano Curado casting rods are on my radar too. Just recently picked up a 6'10 ML one and has been wonderful. They have a 6'10 L in moderate action, but I haven't seen it physically personally so just not in a hurry. It's just not as maneuverable as my simple 6' spinning rods.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

tincanary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tincanary » Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:17 am

For creeks I prefer something 6' or less just to make it more manageable in the trees. Approximately how big are the smallies you are fishing for? That will play a big part in rod selection as well. Where I am, creek smallies don't get exceedingly large, most I've caught are 16" and less, much smaller than the Lake St. Clair smallies I tangle with which are often in excess of 20". Something like a Major Craft Finetail 6'L might be just about right for what you need to do. It's an exceptionally fast blank with great backbone and a length that will let you cast relatively easy in brush choked creeks and rivers. The shorter handle also lends itself better to one-handed casting, giving you a greater range of motion to make those highly technical casts that would otherwise prove difficult to pull off with a long handle.

I'm actually getting ready to build myself a river smallie rod. A few years back, Lamiglas had their 5'6" G1000 blanks on closeout for $40 each, marked down from $129. The blanks are lightweight (0.9oz) and fast action with a beefy butt section, rated 1/8-3/8 and 4-10lb. The G1000 blanks are still made, just no longer in blanks under 8'6".

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:41 am

tincanary wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:17 am
For creeks I prefer something 6' or less just to make it more manageable in the trees.
Depends on place and trees :) Last times I have fished with 6' rod, and I have more than used to it. But it's way worse than 4'7" rod I have liked. And seems like this doesn't change, because I have already given more than enough time for 6' rod.