KastKing Kestrel Elite BFS

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

KastKing Kestrel Elite BFS

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:18 pm

Has anyone else used the Kestrel? I want to see if my findings so far is consistent with what others have experienced.

This reel actually impressed me quite a bit. Tolerances are tight and the casting is noticeably better over the Zephyr BFS. I only used it for stream fishing so far but, it was able to cast 3-3.5gr trout minnows pretty good. There was a decent amount of grease on the spool bearings which overbraked the reel. I cleaned the grease off after my first trip and the reel casted much better.

Frame is tiny too. Super comfortable and all the clicks are refined. Drag clicker sounds better than Shimano's, basically on par with Daiwa.

I will be getting it out for bass fishing here soon and will update with more info.

I am usually a Daiwa/Shimano BFS angler but...the Kestrel is no joke.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

fffishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: KastKing Kestrel Elite BFS

Post by fffishing » Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:03 am

I just heard about this reel ,and looking to get one... where is I can buy it? Also interested about "new Ftb", is that different on right and left handed models,or same,like on old models(GH100 and Black Knight-Tsurinoya)...
And yes, spool bearings always checked, specially on new Bfs reels

Find it,ordered left hand

JTK37
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Re: KastKing Kestrel Elite BFS

Post by JTK37 » Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:39 pm

My feelings are pretty similar. I’ve got about 5 outings on the Kestrel. So far it’s been limited to 1/16-1/8th Oz crank baits and 1/32-1/16th jig heads with micro plastics. It’s had no problem casting them with good distance. Like just about everyone else I’ve found I need to run the brakes very light. I’m an aggressive caster and usually have my brakes turned up more than most unless I’m pitching around a stream. With the Kestrel, even in open water I’ve been able to run near the lowest brake setting.

Performance is good, fit and finish seems good. I’ve paired it with a Zephyr BFS rod which might not be the most ideal but it’s worked well for the combos I’m throwing. As is I don’t think I’d get this tuned to throw trout magnets on a SUL Kuying, but we’ll see. I haven’t cleaned the bearings, but I did order the the Roro ceramic upgrade kit from Bait Finesse Empire. I’ll report back when I receive them.

My only gripe so far is the spool tension knob. Good tactile feel, but sooooo easy to turn I frequently bump it adjusting my grip or the drag setting. Every time I bump it I loosen it and have to reset it. The more I use the reel the more my hand avoids it. But this doesn’t happen to me with any of my other reels